Author Topic: ESPN Radio Rumor: Rondo/Allen for Chris Paul  (Read 23558 times)

Re: ESPN Radio Rumor: Rondo/Allen for Chris Paul
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
folks - I don't think we can use the ESPN trade checker for this rumor - it calculates salaries based on last year's deals - CP3's extension kicks in this coming season and he'll be making $13.7M, not $4.5M
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still don't know who said it.

Did someone actually have some real info or was this a fan calling in?

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Chris Paul is a scorer. We don't want our starting PG to score unless absolutely needed to. And hopefully with a healthy Celtics team, we won't need our PG to score.

He's an everything.  He can do everything.  With a great team around him he could do a lot.  Imagine his assist average with Paul / Garnett and a decent 2 around him.

Also, if we didn't have Ray, Paul would take up some of his former scoring duties. 

I'm not saying this trade would happen but I wouldn't write it off as bad necessarily.  Paul is an MVP guy as others have said and a top 5 talent in the league. 

Yes he can do everything. But we don't need a PG to do everything. So why would we give up/pay for a PG to do everything?

Makes no sense to me. He has MVP stats on a sub-part hornets team.

So what you're saying is, we have a better chance to win with a PG that can't shoot, than one we can?

We're better off with Rondo, who isnt an all star, than with an MVP caliber player??

Is the world spinning backwards????

it always does on celticsblog. :)

i do not believe that NO would trade Paul for a shooting guard who has only 1-2 years of excellence left in him.

however, sillier things have happened and if NO management were silly enough to take such a deal, ainge should do it. if the celtics have to through in a few more folks to make salaries work, so be it.

(with the exception of scal of course. his intangibles are what make the team so great. ;D )
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
The Rondo trade rumors are the single dumbest story in Celtics history.  There is no way they would trade the franchise's future for a quick fix or another PG.  These rumors make no basketball sense, as they would be left with Gabe Pruitt and Eddie House as our two PG's.  Someone make these rumors stop!
Last I checked CP3 was one of the best if not the best PG in the league!
He is better than Rondo and will be better in the future and I would rather trade Ray than let him expire!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't see this happening, either - but Shinn is trying to cut salary. Ray doesn't expire early enough to suit him, but a $20 million carrot is as big a carrot as he's going to get his hands on.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:14 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
****, Why would we get Paul when Wade is on the table?

Maybe Danny's waiting on Lebron :o
Wade is injury prone, but I do like the idea of him in green.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
Celtics have already agreed to this trade.  They just need NO to want to make such a deal.
TP!
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
folks - I don't think we can use the ESPN trade checker for this rumor - it calculates salaries based on last year's deals - CP3's extension kicks in this coming season and he'll be making $13.7M, not $4.5M

So, for discussion's sake, doesn't Paul and Posey work for Ray and Rondo?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Chris Paul is an unbelievable talent, I would do that trade straight away, and if they throw Posey in too, that will also satisfy one of our needs.
If we are then able to sign someone like Ben Gordon to start @ the shooting guard spot, I think we have a great team still.

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

The only way New Orleans does a Paul trade is if they are desperate to save money and save some face in the same move.

NO's worst contract by far is Peja. Thus if NO is desperate, they may do a Paul+Peja for Giddens Ray and Rondo. Rondo will be cheaper than Paul, they save 5.5 million right away and have 22.5 million off the payroll for next season, having learned their lesson that they can't overbid for guys like peja. If that's still not enough, you can throw in Scal, tony and pruitt to take back Posey's long term deal.

So Rondo, Ray, Scal, Tony, Pruitt, for Peja, Paul and Posey would save new Orleans 6 million right away and 34 million the next season plus the extra 7 million the following year from posey. It really allows them to start over based around good, cheaper players like West, Rondo, and Wright.

But again, there's no way to make a trade for Paul that is "fair," talent wise. On the other hand, the Memphis Gasol trade was ridiculously unfair in terms of talent. So if New Orleans was desperate to shed payroll, this could work.

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2009, 10:39:39 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
you know. you make a point with the gasol trade but i really think there was something shady going on there with other teams claiming they were'nt even contacted for a potential better deal. jerry west was recently a memphis guy. all that.

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I still don't know who said it.

Did someone actually have some real info or was this a fan calling in?

I think that we would have more information by now if this was a real rumor. Nothing is said in other sites, and there is no mention to this on the ESPN website.

Bogus?

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:54 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I have yet to see this reported anywhere else and as far as I know only one person has said they heard it on the radio.  Take that for what it is worth.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
you know. you make a point with the gasol trade but i really think there was something shady going on there with other teams claiming they were'nt even contacted for a potential better deal. jerry west was recently a memphis guy. all that.

the same was said about the KG trade to Boston, I don't buy it.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

the same was said about the KG trade to Boston, I don't buy it.

The difference is that Memphis' owner came out later and said that the Grizzlies should have shopped around more, rather than focusing on the Lakers' offer.

Now, that doesn't mean something shady was going on.  However, it does mean that Chris Wallace did a poor job of GM-ing.  How can you make a trade without knowing what the other 28 teams are all offering?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions