Author Topic: ESPN Radio Rumor: Rondo/Allen for Chris Paul  (Read 23480 times)

Re: ESPN Radio Rumor: Rondo/Allen for Chris Paul
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
throw in Perk for Chandler and Wright... not sure if that makes a difference
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If you could really trade for one of the top 5 players in the League, a LEGIT MVP candidate at one of the most difficult positions to fill, you do that without question.  In the proverbial cocaine heartbeat.  As always, a lot will depend on the perceived likelihood of getting Rondo to sign an extension this season that's not financially crippling.  As much as I love Ray Allen, 2-guard *is* probably the easiest position to replace; with a healthy KG, refreshed Pierce, and CP3, we'd need an Ariza-type at the 2-guard, someone who can take some of the defensive pressure off PP.  Those guys, you can find.  

Love Ray Allen, love Rajon Rondo, really, I do...  but CP3's the best player in that deal, by a good amount.  You make that deal.

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
throw in Perk for Chandler and Wright... not sure if that makes a difference

no thanks, but I would throw in TA and Scal for Posey. No sense in Posey sticking around if they are trading CP3 to cut money

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 05:12:26 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i think people are joking not wanting to make that deal. HAVE TO BE JOKING.

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
everyone would do this.  It's not even a real rumor, though.  Nobody has verified they even mentioned this on ESPN radio.  Another Crotor rumor.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
everyone would do this.  It's not even a real rumor, though.  Nobody has verified they even mentioned this on ESPN radio.  Another Crotor rumor.

yes, everyone would do this in an instant. It's about time we had some unrealistic rumors that actually favor the celtics instead of the other team, like the rondo/ray for amare rumor.

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 05:33:11 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Chris Paul is a scorer. We don't want our starting PG to score unless absolutely needed to. And hopefully with a healthy Celtics team, we won't need our PG to score.

He's an everything.  He can do everything.  With a great team around him he could do a lot.  Imagine his assist average with Paul / Garnett and a decent 2 around him.

Also, if we didn't have Ray, Paul would take up some of his former scoring duties. 

I'm not saying this trade would happen but I wouldn't write it off as bad necessarily.  Paul is an MVP guy as others have said and a top 5 talent in the league. 

Yes he can do everything. But we don't need a PG to do everything. So why would we give up/pay for a PG to do everything?

Makes no sense to me. He has MVP stats on a sub-part hornets team.

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
CP3 isn't old, undervalued or disgruntled.  I can't see NO dumping him before they try unloading Chandler, Peja, MoPete, Posey and even West.  They are in a very difficult position however.  Paul's probably not going to take kindly to the contract dumping trades that they'll want to make and standing pat probably won't please him much more.  They'll need to bring back expiring contracts who can approximate or exceed the talent of the guys they send out.  

They may be forced into trading Paul at some point, but they have to at least see what they can get for their overpaid supporting cast.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Chris Paul is a scorer. We don't want our starting PG to score unless absolutely needed to. And hopefully with a healthy Celtics team, we won't need our PG to score.

He's an everything.  He can do everything.  With a great team around him he could do a lot.  Imagine his assist average with Paul / Garnett and a decent 2 around him.

Also, if we didn't have Ray, Paul would take up some of his former scoring duties. 

I'm not saying this trade would happen but I wouldn't write it off as bad necessarily.  Paul is an MVP guy as others have said and a top 5 talent in the league. 

Yes he can do everything. But we don't need a PG to do everything. So why would we give up/pay for a PG to do everything?

Perhaps our system doesn't require a dominant point guard, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.  Also, of course, the present team needs aren't always going to be the same going forward.  As the "big three" retire (or are traded) we need guys capable of stepping into their roles.  Chris Paul would go a long way toward that.

Of course, CP3 isn't coming here, but it sure is nice to speculate about.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Perhaps our system doesn't require a dominant point guard, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.  Also, of course, the present team needs aren't always going to be the same going forward.  As the "big three" retire (or are traded) we need guys capable of stepping into their roles.  Chris Paul would go a long way toward that.

You don't think it will hurt to give up 2 out of our championship starting 5? Not even chemistry wise?

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
CP has a chance to be the best point guard ever.  He's 24.  Easily the best point guard in the league.  Top 5 player in the league no doubt.

Yeah you get rid of Rondo and Ray for him. No doubt.  That's like asking if I'd trade Pierce and Perk for LeBron.

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
hello. chris paul has NO weaknesses. we don't want a point guard who does everything? am i reading this right? lol.

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
it's not like our guys can't adapt to a new style. for most of pierce's career he played with no other all star player. he seemed to adjust ok. egads. we need a new rumor. a REALISTIC one.

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

You don't think it will hurt to give up 2 out of our championship starting 5? Not even chemistry wise?

Is your concern that we could be negatively affecting our current 2 year window to win a title?

If we acquire Paul, that window becomes 10 years that we would be legit nba title contenders.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
we need a new rumor. a REALISTIC one.

No kidding.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers