Author Topic: Tyreke Evans: A Memphis Expert's Take on How He'd Fit In with the Celtics  (Read 3588 times)

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The guy writing that article sounds like he's trying to justify why Tyreke Evans would be worth taking.  If he really believed Evans was the real deal, he'd want Memphis to draft him, and so would the majority of Memphis fans (notice the poll has the vast majority wanting to trade the pick to Boston). 

The author brings up big issues with Evans' game, particularly his weak jumpshot and desire to dominate the ball, and waves them away by saying that Doc will deal with them somehow. 

This doesn't inspire me with a whole lot of confidence.  Honestly, I haven't seen or heard enough positive about Tyreke Evans to feel like he's worth us making a major trade to get him, especially not if it's the #2.  If we're going for the #2, we need to be getting a sure-fire guy who is very likely to contribute at the next level.  From what I've heard, the guy we'd want in that case is probably somebody like James Harden, not Tyreke Evans.

In any case, I don't think a rookie right out of college is going to be our "missing link" that will take us to a Championship.  We were very lucky to get a Championship with a largely inexperienced point guard (Rondo) and we had 3 veteran HoF All-Stars in order to make that happen.

I'm not sold on Tyreke Evans.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Put me down in the unimpressed column when it comes to Evans.

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
With the exception of the athleticism comment, I thought he was describing Giddens. Actually, a description of Giddens would be better.

If Wallace is willing to accept Ray and Leon for the two, it probably won't take much to get to the other two picks Memphis has.

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
You'd have to figure Ainge would be trading Rondo for 4th or 5th pick. Evan's maybe good, but we have a all-star pg in Rondo that we know is good. I can't see trading Ray to acquire Evans when we have Rondo.

Maybe Ainge really wants Harden and is blowing smoke so Harden is around at 5? 5th pick and some throwins for Ray makes more sense than trading Rondo.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:05:06 PM by acieEarl »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Maybe Ainge ... is blowing smoke

I think that is what this is all about.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I have watched Evans play a couple of times and it was like watching two different players. Early in the year, the player I saw may have been the most selfish player I have ever seen and I am old old man. The other players might have well gone and set down on the bench because he wouldn't even look for them unless he was totally stopped. Then and only then would he look to pass. Later in the year, he was much more of a playmaker. He had a little bit of selfishness but most good players do.

I don't know how he will behave in the pros. He could be a solid player or a Magette type player with good stats but no one is excited playing with him.

I tend to evaluate players using the old Oscar Robertson line of whether a player can how to make the worst teammate better. Oscar said it about a young Jordan because Jordan didn't make his teammates better. Anyone would have been better playing with Bill Russell, Magic, Bird, Stockton, West, Frazier, etc. I simply don't know how Evans will develop.

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
You'd have to figure Ainge would be trading Rondo for 4th or 5th pick. Evan's maybe good, but we have a all-star pg in Rondo that we know is good. I can't see trading Ray to acquire Evans when we have Rondo.

Maybe Ainge really wants Harden and is blowing smoke so Harden is around at 5? 5th pick and some throwins for Ray makes more sense than trading Rondo.

I don't think I would trade Rondo unless we're somehow getting back the 2nd and 4th picks for what would hopefully be Rubio and Harden. That said, I really hope the Evans bit really is all smoke, and if we do want to make a trade it is for Harden.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
OK, I am kind of merging two rumors to start a 3rd which is exponentially less likely even than either of the first two.  I was shocked by the poll that said most Memphis fans would take Ray and Powe for the #2.  OK, let's do it.

If we did that, could we trade the #2 and Rondo (and maybe a future #1) for Chris Paul and say Chandler along with the trade exemption that we would get?  I don't really understand trade exemptions.

All that talk about the Chris Paul trade didn't make sense becasue we weren't offering enough young talent.  Putting these together, suddenly I think it is a much more realistic package from NO point of view.

I know, I know, we give up a championship backcourt but with Chris Paul and almost any run of the mill SG, we are set for years.  We would be so much better in so many ways.  I just think of how fresh Pierce might be if he didn't have to create his shot so much.  He could get his offense so much easier with Paul on the floor.  Wow.  I don't know what chance there is of this but it is fun to wonder.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
OK, I am kind of merging two rumors to start a 3rd which is exponentially less likely even than either of the first two.  I was shocked by the poll that said most Memphis fans would take Ray and Powe for the #2.  OK, let's do it.

If we did that, could we trade the #2 and Rondo (and maybe a future #1) for Chris Paul and say Chandler along with the trade exemption that we would get?  I don't really understand trade exemptions.

All that talk about the Chris Paul trade didn't make sense becasue we weren't offering enough young talent.  Putting these together, suddenly I think it is a much more realistic package from NO point of view.

I know, I know, we give up a championship backcourt but with Chris Paul and almost any run of the mill SG, we are set for years.  We would be so much better in so many ways.  I just think of how fresh Pierce might be if he didn't have to create his shot so much.  He could get his offense so much easier with Paul on the floor.  Wow.  I don't know what chance there is of this but it is fun to wonder.

I guess this does solve the big problem everyone was talking about with Paul. We would need to make sure we get expiring contracts back from Memphis or Washington or whoever, though- because NO definitely doesn't want players with a lot of money due- which is why people were talking Ray in the first place...I imagine this really would get it done, though...