Author Topic: Jennings Calls Rubio "All Hype"  (Read 7052 times)

Jennings Calls Rubio "All Hype"
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
From SI.com:

SACRAMENTO -- Highly touted draft prospect Brandon Jennings called Spanish sensation and potential No. 2 pick Ricky Rubio overhyped and not even the top point guard in the draft.

"Well, put it like this: If he was in a workout with me [and fellow point-guard prospects] Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, Tywon Lawson, Stephen Curry, he wouldn't probably be at the top," Jennings said Friday.

Jennings made his comments after a workout for the Sacramento Kings that also included point guards Flynn from Syracuse and Holiday from UCLA.

When asked if he thought Rubio, who has received great attention but has not worked out for NBA teams, is all hype, he said without hesitation, "Yes. Because he played in the Olympics, he's been playing pro ball since he was like 14. So there it is right there. ... I can't wait to play him, though, in summer league. I'm just letting you know that now. I can't wait.

"Yeah, I think I'm a better player than he is. I just shoot the ball better than he can. The only thing I've seen him do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that. I think the dude is just all hype. I can't even front. I'm just going to be real with you guys."

Jennings, a likely top 10 pick who bypassed the NCAA to play professionally in Rome, faced Rubio and DKV Joventut once last season in Spain. When asked how the matchup went, Jennings said, "Well, when I played him, he had zero points, two assists and two turnovers. So you tell me how that went." In fact, according to the Euroleague's official Web site, Rubio went scoreless with three assists and three turnovers in nine minutes in the early stages of his return from a wrist injury. Jennings finished with 12 points and two assists in 23 minutes.

Personally, I like Jennings' confidence. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Jennings Calls Rubio "All Hype"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If Rubio is "All Hype", then what the heck is Jennings?

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think you see Jennings, Flynn, or some of the other PGs getting anywhere the same level of media attention that Rubio is getting right now.  My guess is that since Jennings actually has faced Rubio, is that he's pretty irked by the adulation being placed upon Rubio. 

I think Jennings has kind've become the forgotten man ever since he jumped ship and went over to Europe for a year rather than getting some U.S. exposure playing for a major NCAA team. 

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:19 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

I don't think you see Jennings, Flynn, or some of the other PGs getting anywhere the same level of media attention that Rubio is getting right now.  My guess is that since Jennings actually has faced Rubio, is that he's pretty irked by the adulation being placed upon Rubio. 

I think Jennings has kind've become the forgotten man ever since he jumped ship and went over to Europe for a year rather than getting some U.S. exposure playing for a major NCAA team. 
Forgotten by the media and fans, maybe, but do you really think forgotten by the organizations and their scouts?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Forgotten by the media and fans, maybe, but do you really think forgotten by the organizations and their scouts?

Absolutely not.  I'm just saying that I could see where Jennings is coming from here.  I'm not necessarily saying he's right about Rubio but I could understand the kid's frustration if he's feeling slighted.  Of course, going to Europe was his choice in the first place.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This kid needs to stop running his mouth before he even gets in the league. Here is something else he said.
"Brandon Jennings thinks of himself as a true point guard and thinks that Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans will struggle in the NBA at the position.

"No, I don’t think so," said Jennings when asked if those specific players can be converted. "To be a point guard, it has to be in you. I don’t think you can suddenly be a point guard after one year. You are the leader, you are the quarterback, and that takes a lot of understanding. You have to make the right play, you have to run a team, you have to be a leader, you have to see things out there on the court. People might say, 'He can be a point guard in the league.' But that is a hard transition. You have to know how to do it. You have to be the one to take the heat when things don’t go right.""
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
This kid needs to stop running his mouth before he even gets in the league. Here is something else he said.
"Brandon Jennings thinks of himself as a true point guard and thinks that Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans will struggle in the NBA at the position.

"No, I don’t think so," said Jennings when asked if those specific players can be converted. "To be a point guard, it has to be in you. I don’t think you can suddenly be a point guard after one year. You are the leader, you are the quarterback, and that takes a lot of understanding. You have to make the right play, you have to run a team, you have to be a leader, you have to see things out there on the court. People might say, 'He can be a point guard in the league.' But that is a hard transition. You have to know how to do it. You have to be the one to take the heat when things don’t go right.""

It's funny that he says this, but at the same time claims to be better than Rubio because he shoots better.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

his rationale that he is all hype because he has been playing pro-ball since he was 14 is pretty counterintuitive.

I mean, isn't the fact that he has been able to hold his own with grown men in support of the hype?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:07:47 PM by winsomme »

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109

It's funny that he says this, but at the same time claims to be better than Rubio because he shoots better.

I have no idea if what he is saying is true about his ability vs the competition, as I have never seen him play, but I love the competitive nature he is showing, and I totally agree with him about playing the point.  As a former point guard, I agree that to be a great point, ala Kidd, Nash, etc., you have to a certain mentality that is learned by leading teams over time.  Again, I'm not vouching for his talent, but I do like his confidence, and agree with his message.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
a pretty [dang] good player

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Big ego for a guy who didn't exactly set his european league ablaze.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm not sure if he's right but now i can't wait to see these guys play against eachother.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I agree I think there is an insane amount of hype around Rubio, but I don't think Jennings' experience against him means anything. Hard to judge someone based upon one game, especially when that game is when he is coming back from an injury. I see Rubio as a player that will take around 5 years to adjust to the league, where he goes from there is up to him.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 01:45:24 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Didn't Dwade say Rubio was one of the best defenders he played against in the Olympics?

I'd have to take a proven all-star's word over some guy who averaged 5.5 points and shot 35% from the field and 20.7% from 3 in Lega A play. In the euroleague he bumped his scoring up to 7.6 points and raised his shooting to 38% from the field and 26% from 3.  That isn't exactly amazing numbers imo.   

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The born-pg Brandon Jennings dishes 5 assists less than Rubio.

In a few years maybe Rubio will turn to be a bust and Jennings a stud but now he is nowhere the Spaniard