Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson/Hawes  (Read 18430 times)

Re: Rumor: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson/Hawes
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I was under the impression Rondo was worth more.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
i  like thompson more than Hawes because we already have perk and are better off then with a quicker, more modern 4 then a lumbering, slow PF and C combo (for the future)

that said, I still wouldnt do this trade.

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I presume this rumor comes from the Kings' side of things, which means it's the version of the trade that they'd like to do.

Actually, just to be clear, this "Rumor" was pure speculation on Chad Ford's part.  All he has heard is that the C's are interested in getting a high draft pick, and while he has heard many different names thrown around as the player they are targetting, the most common one has been Tyreke Evans.  The rest of his article was him speculating on deals that he thinks could make sense for the C's to get into the top 10.  Its really no more a rumor than if you or I had thrown out a random trade proposal.

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would do the trade with the Kings if they throw something in, Rondo for #4 and Thompson, I'm not sure, but if it is Rondo for #4 (maybe Evans), Thompson and something else I will reconsider it

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
it's funny i came up with this trade idea a day before Chad Ford reported it as an actual rumor. 

It makes some sense if Rubio slips to #4.

Except in my mind I also figured we'd throw them Scal/Tony and get back nocionni

Rondo
Scal
Tony

for

Thompson
Noccioni

... That's potentially a pretty even deal if you consider whoever is sitting at #4 as a better prospect than Rondo.  Thompson is pretty darn good.  Noccioni fits some needs and the Kings would probably want to bring in scal and tony's expiring contracts for him.

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
it's funny i came up with this trade idea a day before Chad Ford reported it as an actual rumor. 

Again, Chad Ford did not report it as an actual rumor.  He came up with it just like you did.  He saw an asset that the C's would like (the pick) and an asset the Kings would like (Rondo), and then played around with trade machine to make it work. 

I think this is important to understand before people start thinking these deals are actually being discussed.

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 04:44:08 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Hawes came on strong at the end of the year, but he just doesn't fit this team as well as Rondo.  He's weak on the post, inefficient inside, and an average rebounder. I don't get the comparisons to Big Al.  Hawes shoots 46% from the field.  He's much more of a Rasheed Wallace type offensive player, without the athleticism or the defensive prowess.  We need defenders, rebounders and finishers, especially if we subtract one of our best at all of those categories in Rondo.

I like Thompson better as a fit for this team in the short term, but he's very much a bull in a china shop at this point. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 06:04:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Again, Chad Ford did not report it as an actual rumor.  He came up with it just like you did.  He saw an asset that the C's would like (the pick) and an asset the Kings would like (Rondo), and then played around with trade machine to make it work. 

I think this is important to understand before people start thinking these deals are actually being discussed.

that's certainly not how chad ford is reporting it... he flat out says:  "The Kings have also reached out to the Celtics and would be willing to deal the No. 4 pick if they could get Rondo in return. "... sounds like a rumor to me... maybe im missing something... maybe I interpreted his text wrong.

Anyways... I was just saying it's funny that a day after I said, "this might actually work", Chad Ford reports that it's been discussed (at least it sounded like he did)

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

that's certainly not how chad ford is reporting it... he flat out says:  "The Kings have also reached out to the Celtics and would be willing to deal the No. 4 pick if they could get Rondo in return. "... sounds like a rumor to me... maybe im missing something... maybe I interpreted his text wrong.

Anyways... I was just saying it's funny that a day after I said, "this might actually work", Chad Ford reports that it's been discussed (at least it sounded like he did)

yeah, SAC being willing to move their pick for a package including Rondo definitely seems to be in the rumor part of Ford's report.

who will be available at 4 is part the problem for me there. I can't see moving Rondo unless we are getting a potential starting PG talent in return.

Harden and Rubio are the players I'm interested in, but both may be off the board by #4.

Re: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson.
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Jason Thompson/Tyreke Evans for Rondo is a pretty nice deal.

For Sacramento.  Yuck. 

Re: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson.
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Jason Thompson/Tyreke Evans for Rondo is a pretty nice deal.

For Sacramento.  Yuck. 

I've been wondering this all week. Why in the world would they do this trade? Does Rondo make them a competitor? Does he sell that many seats? Will they be able to resign Rondo?

If I'm Ainge, and Rubio is there. I do this trade in a heart beat. I think a key element is the cap flexibility it could provide.

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Read more closely what you just quoted.  Yes, Chad Ford is reporting a rumor that the Kings have reached out to the Celtics to see if Rondo is available.  However, the actual scenario he throws out he came up with himself, speculating about what a deal that he thinks might make sense.

So this particular scenario is nothing more than Chad Ford throwing something at the wall that will fit the actual rumor he threw out there that the Kings have interest in Rondo.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Read more closely what you just quoted.  Yes, Chad Ford is reporting a rumor that the Kings have reached out to the Celtics to see if Rondo is available.  However, the actual scenario he throws out he came up with himself, speculating about what a deal that he thinks might make sense.

So this particular scenario is nothing more than Chad Ford throwing something at the wall that will fit the actual rumor he threw out there that the Kings have interest in Rondo.

not entirely. the rumor part of it was SAC wanting Rondo and the Cs wanting #4 pick...

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Ainge is going to listen to any offer he gets for any of his players. If he got some unbelieveable offer from Saca he make the trade. I don't think Saca has anyone + the pick that would be worth trading Rondo.

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

not entirely. the rumor part of it was SAC wanting Rondo and the Cs wanting #4 pick...

Well, the C's want a pick in the top 10.  But yes. 

But still, my point remains the same.  The idea of Rondo for the pick and Hawes or Thompson came from Ford's imagination.  It was not a trade that he was reporting as being discussed.