Author Topic: Rumor: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson/Hawes  (Read 18441 times)

Rumor: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson/Hawes
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Alright, for all the ink that Ray to the Wizards is getting around here. Why isn't there more chatter about this from the many fans desperate for an early rebuilding project?

Quote from: Chris Ford
The Kings have also reached out to the Celtics and would be willing to deal the No. 4 pick if they could get Rondo in return. The Celtics would likely want more than just the No. 4 pick for Rondo -- and the Kings might be willing to throw in either Jason Thompson or Spencer Hawes to make it happen.

It's possible, if not likely, that Rubio slides to #4. Worst case scenario Ainge drafts his most recent infatuation, Tyreke Evans (Rookie Rondo redux?). And wouldn't Jason Thompson be the ideal young PF/C to add to the bench?

Please Danny, hang up the phone on the Wizards.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:21:29 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

Re: Rondo to the Kings for #4 and Thompson.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think I would do it for Thompson, but if it was Hawes, then I would have to strongly consider it (although if its for Evans, I would be VERY disapointed).  I think Hawes is going to be a star, and one of the best Centers in the league for a long time.  He has the most advanced low post game of any young player in the league other than Al Jefferson, and he will only get better as he continues to get stronger.  He has tremendous footwork on offense and defense, and great touch. 

Thompson on the other hand scares me.  He seems kind of soft, and I just have a feeling when teams start gameplanning for him, he will completely disappear.  He reminds me a lot of Channing Frye.

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Well, we disagree on Thompson, particularly on his willingness to mix it up. But I imagine we would agree that he's the player the Kings would be more inclined to deal.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't like Evans as a PG, he's more a combo in the mold of D West and if Danny is going to trade Rondo or Ray for the #4 pick, I sure hope that Tyreke Evans isn't the cornerstone of the deal that we get back. After Griffin, this draft is a crap shoot and trading Ray or Rondo for anyone that isn't Blake Griffin is a huge gamble. Thompson and Evans for Rondo is a horrible deal.

Now if they want to go Ray for Thompson, Nocioni, Thomas' contract and the #4, I might consider that. Thompson looks like he could be a stud like PF which means we don't resign Baby, Nocioni is the backup wing we've been looking for, Thomas' contract expires so we can use his money to resign Rondo, and the C's could draft James Harden, who I think could eventually be very Ray like.

Harden is 6'5", has a 6'10" wingspan, is a good set shooter from the outside, a very good free throw shooter, a plus rebounder for his position and has decent passing skills in transition where he excels. He has a great shooters form and just needs to develop getting his shot off off the dribble and while coming around screens in catch and shoot situations.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't like Evans as a PG, he's more a combo in the mold of D West and if Danny is going to trade Rondo or Ray for the #4 pick, I sure hope that Tyreke Evans isn't the cornerstone of the deal that we get back. After Griffin, this draft is a crap shoot and trading Ray or Rondo for anyone that isn't Blake Griffin is a huge gamble. Thompson and Evans for Rondo is a horrible deal.

Now if they want to go Ray for Thompson, Nocioni, Thomas' contract and the #4, I might consider that. Thompson looks like he could be a stud like PF which means we don't resign Baby, Nocioni is the backup wing we've been looking for, Thomas' contract expires so we can use his money to resign Rondo, and the C's could draft James Harden, who I think could eventually be very Ray like.

Harden is 6'5", has a 6'10" wingspan, is a good set shooter from the outside, a very good free throw shooter, a plus rebounder for his position and has decent passing skills in transition where he excels. He has a great shooters form and just needs to develop getting his shot off off the dribble and while coming around screens in catch and shoot situations.

If we're trading into the Top 5 (which I highly doubt), outside of Griffin, Harden's the guy I would want on the C's.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Can we get some question marks in these thread titles? Not signaling you out WW, you're a good poster.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think of the two positions (PG pr SG) the one i would feel better about having a rookie in is PG.

part of that has to do with who the rookie would be getting (Rubio vs Evans/Harden) and part of it has to do with keeping GPA together for another shot a Title.

If Rubio is as good as we hear, I think he could keep feeding the ball to GPA and getting them their looks. We'd lose all the Rondo nuances (athleticism, knowing where and how GPA like the ball, rebounding, fearlessness, etc), but I think ultimately we'd have the best chance at a Title in 2009/2010 keeping GPA together.

also, moving Rondo gives us the best chance at landing a player in the 2010 FA windfall. We wouldn't have to spend all that money on Rondo + we'd have Ray's expiring contract coming off the books. With Pierce due for an extension (we could maybe knock his salary down some for that season) and only 4 players under contract (KG, Pierce, Perk, Rubio), we could have money to go after a pretty good player.

anyway, still want to stay as is, but if i had to choose between moving Ray or Rondo for a pick, I would move Rondo.

and Rondo for #4 +Thompson actually isn't that bad....especially when you consider the salary savings of not having to re-up Rajon.

roster:

Rubio/Vet PG/Eddie
Ray/Walker/TA
Pierce/Hill?/Scals
KG/Thompson/Powe
Perk/Dice

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I personally, love this off season for the celtics - we have teams with young talents like the kings, wizards, bucks and grizzlies struggling with money and the celtics have a sweet expiring contract like ray, tony and scal to deal with.

We also have three positions of need that are pretty easy to fill;   starting 2 (considering ray is traded), back up 3 and a back up 4/5.  From the 2 and 3 we need three point shooting and defense and basically just someone useful with size for the 4/5.   We already have a great PG, go to guy in peirce and probably one of the best starting front courts in the NBA.  

We're also in a big enough market with great owners to take on some bad salaries to take advantage of this.  It's a great time to be the C's.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think of the two positions (PG pr SG) the one i would feel better about having a rookie in is PG.

part of that has to do with who the rookie would be getting (Rubio vs Evans/Harden) and part of it has to do with keeping GPA together for another shot a Title.

If Rubio is as good as we hear, I think he could keep feeding the ball to GPA and getting them their looks. We'd lose all the Rondo nuances (athleticism, knowing where and how GPA like the ball, rebounding, fearlessness, etc), but I think ultimately we'd have the best chance at a Title in 2009/2010 keeping GPA together.

also, moving Rondo gives us the best chance at landing a player in the 2010 FA windfall. We wouldn't have to spend all that money on Rondo + we'd have Ray's expiring contract coming off the books. With Pierce due for an extension (we could maybe knock his salary down some for that season) and only 4 players under contract (KG, Pierce, Perk, Rubio), we could have money to go after a pretty good player.

anyway, still want to stay as is, but if i had to choose between moving Ray or Rondo for a pick, I would move Rondo.

and Rondo for #4 +Thompson actually isn't that bad....especially when you consider the salary savings of not having to re-up Rajon.

roster:

Rubio/Vet PG/Eddie
Ray/Walker/TA
Pierce/Hill?/Scals
KG/Thompson/Powe
Perk/Dice
While I think any major trade is unlikely, I have to say I think the quality in the top of this draft is probably more in SG's than PG's. I'm not sold on the hype that is Rubio but then again all I've seen is you tube stuff.Also Jrue Holiday is kinda small for my liking. I have however seen Evans, Harden, and Wayne Ellington and as much as I'm not sold on Evans I love Ellington and Harden and think DeRozan might be a pretty decent wing player as well.

Trading Rondo I think hurts this team way more than trading Ray and I think long term, the better impact in this draft is in SGs.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

roster:

Rubio/Vet PG/Eddie
Ray/Walker/TA
Pierce/Hill?/Scals
KG/Thompson/Powe
Perk/Dice
While I think any major trade is unlikely, I have to say I think the quality in the top of this draft is probably more in SG's than PG's. I'm not sold on the hype that is Rubio but then again all I've seen is you tube stuff.Also Jrue Holiday is kinda small for my liking. I have however seen Evans, Harden, and Wayne Ellington and as much as I'm not sold on Evans I love Ellington and Harden and think DeRozan might be a pretty decent wing player as well.

Trading Rondo I think hurts this team way more than trading Ray and I think long term, the better impact in this draft is in SGs.

but they would be targeting one guy if they made the move not the depth of the draft...I see what you're saying, but i don't think the depth at a position is the key factor.

as to which position would cause bigger ripples next season, I think back to 2008. While Rondo was solid in the playoffs, it was really GPA that got us that Title. Rondo was a very young PG and still pretty inconsistent, yet we were still able to win it all.

Obviously, the reports would have to be right about Rubio for it to work, but I think GPA could guide him pretty effectively and take up the slack for youth just like they did with Rajon.

plus, there is the potential salary considerations of not having to give that big extension to Rondo.

as for Harden and Evans, I was pretty disappointed in both of them down the stretch of the NCAA season. I like Harden more, but I think overall it would be harder to get him to be a reliable scoring option on next years team...harder than getting Rubio to be at the level of Rondo in 2008, anyway...

again, overall, I'm still on the retool the bench train...

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I really, really like Jason Thompson. I think I'm probably one of the few people who thought he could be something pretty good from day one, and I think he might be on his way. I was also praying he'd slide all the way to thirty... That said, number four and Thompson isn't nearly enough for Rondo right now.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

roster:

Rubio/Vet PG/Eddie
Ray/Walker/TA
Pierce/Hill?/Scals
KG/Thompson/Powe
Perk/Dice

but they would be targeting one guy if they made the move not the depth of the draft...I see what you're saying, but i don't think the depth at a position is the key factor.

as to which position would cause bigger ripples next season, I think back to 2008. While Rondo was solid in the playoffs, it was really GPA that got us that Title. Rondo was a very young PG and still pretty inconsistent, yet we were still able to win it all.

Obviously, the reports would have to be right about Rubio for it to work, but I think GPA could guide him pretty effectively and take up the slack for youth just like they did with Rajon.

plus, there is the potential salary considerations of not having to give that big extension to Rondo.

as for Harden and Evans, I was pretty disappointed in both of them down the stretch of the NCAA season. I like Harden more, but I think overall it would be harder to get him to be a reliable scoring option on next years team...harder than getting Rubio to be at the level of Rondo in 2008, anyway...

again, overall, I'm still on the retool the bench train...
I think you have to address the depth of the draft because the pick the Celtics would be receiving would be the fourth and not the second. There's no guarantee that Rubio will be there at #4. So n gambling which player you are going to deal away, you have to think which will be more easily replaced at #4 and not think only, trade Rondo get Rubio because there is no guarantee of that.

What happens if New York trades up and gets the #2 and takes Rubio after we have already traded Rondo away? Then you're screwed because you have to go after a Miller or Bibby with the MLE and have little money left for back up bigs. If you trade Ray for the #4 and like all three of Harden, Evans, and Ellington, then you would be guaranteed of getting one of the guys you want.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
How is this on CelticsBlog? This is so heavily weighted in the Kings favor.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I would definitely rather deal with the Kings than the Wizards, especially after we inquired about Juan Carlos Navarro a couple of years ago, and the Wiz told us it would take Pierce to obtain him. As Tommy would say "Gimme A Break!" The guy's not even in the L anymore.

Jason Thompson/Tyreke Evans for Rondo is a pretty nice deal. Evans would be another guy that could get his offense, and not be so much of an offensive liability that Rondo is. And Thompson is a lot better than some here will credit him for. He will give you a double-double on any night, even against tougher competition.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Rondo was spectacular in the playoffs this year, hes a great guy, and he wants to get better.  This is the type of guy you keep.  Ray Allen is ridiculously valuable right now because of his skill level and his contract.  Two guards that are good outside shooters are a lot easier to find then electric quick, pass first PG's,that rebound well, and are incredible defenders.

We trade Ray for a two guard that gives us 75% of what he does, a draft pick, and a good bench player.  I know that's asking for a lot but with his contract, and in these financial times i say it's possible.