Author Topic: Chad Ford - " C's are shopping Ray Allen for a top 5 or 10 Draft Pick"  (Read 13674 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I just saw a thread on the Celtics forum on Real GM. Apparently Danny Ainge really has fallen in love with Tyreke Evans and would like to draft him. Ford said the scenario that makes the most sense is with Washington, who has been shopping the 5th pick for an all-star caliber wing man .

Ford's trade proposal

Bos Sends: Ray

Wash sends: Songalia, Mike James, Etan Thomas and #5

I don't really like this trade for the C's what do you guys think?

Edit:

After looking deeper into the contract situations of this trade, it doesn't look as bad as I first thought.

If the deal is

Bos sends: Ray

Wash sends: Etan Thomas, Songalia, James and #5 Pick

We would still be getting 13 MIL in expiring contracts back.

Between Etan Thomas, Mike James, Scal and TA we would have about 20 MIL in expiring contracts to trade for a starting SG with

Say if we could get a SG like Mike Miller or Raja bell + # 5 pick for Ray Allen and expiring contracts that looks much better for the C's

Bos 2009- 10 Roster
PG: Rondo / Marbury
SG: Raja  / Tyreke Evans (#5 Pick)
SF: PP    / Grant Hill( Vet Min)
PF: KG    / BBD or McDyess
 C: Perk  / Songalia

That actually makes our team much more balaced . We would have a starting SG and would have a younger SG on the bench , with lots of potential !
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:43:38 PM by rondohondo »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
hate it for the C's, we should try to pry nick young or a better big off them.  Like Blatche, Heywood or Mcgee

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Ugh.  That's just a terrible trade.  Really Danny? 

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
hate it for the C's, we should try to pry nick young or a better big off them.  Like Blatche, Heywood or Mcgee
Yea I would love to have Haywood as a backup C. I also think Mcgee is going to be a pretty good player . I would want Nick Young too, apparently Danny liked him a few years ago when he was in the draft.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It makes some sense- definitely provides a player that will help our future, but man, I hate the idea of Songaila, James, and Thomas. I am with VPofCommonsense- we need, at the very least, Blatche in this deal.

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I couldn't copy and paste this but here is the link on HoopsHype:

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

That's not a ringing endorsement.  I've seen him play, though, and he is pretty solid.  To replace Ray though and only get Songalia, et al with him...no thanks.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Switch Blatche and Young in the original trade for Songaila and it might be reasonable. Still not sure I'd do it, but I like it better.

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
Terrible deal.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I believe the Celtics would be willing to trade Ray for a high draft pick, but IMO the Celtics need to get a starting SG back in the deal. Someone like maybe Raja Bell or Mike Miller

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Ainge Almost scares me this early in the draft.  I mean when pressed about who he would have taken with the 5th pick when we traded it for Ray Allen he said Yi would have been the guy AND he was deeply in love with Robert Swift but fortunately he was picked early and Jefferson fell to us.

I would just rather involve another team in this trade (ie the warriors) and pillage them for young talent

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I couldn't copy and paste this but here is the link on HoopsHype:

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

That's not a ringing endorsement.  I've seen him play, though, and he is pretty solid.  To replace Ray though and only get Songalia, et al with him...no thanks.

Not that I am an enormous Curry fan, but if we did trade into the lottery, he would be an interesting option- at least we would still maintain the clutch and shooting of Ray...

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's a horrible idea to trade Ray in the first place, even for a vet.  There's no guarantee that vet is going to fit in here like Ray does.  

To think that a rookie is going to do it is lunacy.  By the time anyone Ainge drafts is ready to do anything, PP and KG are going to be done, making the entire point of the trade pointless.  

Hopefully this is just the usual summer BS or Danny just trying to gauge Ray's value.  

If Ainge makes this trade, all the good he's done the past couple of years gets negated and written off as blind luck.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:03:24 PM by Jon »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Like 9 out of 10 things you'll hear about in the offseason, this is BS.

We won't be breaking up the starting lineup to make room for a rookie. 

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Wow, I wouldn't want to face the Wizards in the 1st round after making that deal...

Also, no interest in Blatche. He couldn't consistently beat out Songaila or Dominic McGuire in last season's debacle. Focus and consistent effort aren't the types of skills a young players suddenly develops after three seasons without either (as opposed to three point range, better defensive awareness, low post moves.) McGee is going to be twice the player.

P.S. No interest in a pair of players (Mike James & Thomas) who are prime buy out candidates wherever they land...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:49:25 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Ainge Almost scares me this early in the draft.  I mean when pressed about who he would have taken with the 5th pick when we traded it for Ray Allen he said Yi would have been the guy AND he was deeply in love with Robert Swift but fortunately he was picked early and Jefferson fell to us.

I would just rather involve another team in this trade (ie the warriors) and pillage them for young talent

TP well said. And when Brandon Roy was available he punted before the draft for Telfair, while Portland really didn't have any other suitors.  Yeah he wanted to use Ratliff in an AI deal, but Raef's contract expired only a yr later anyways.

Though in Danny's defense I think he would have gone with Durant over Oden, which would have been wise and also he was right about CP3 and should have done that deal. Maybe Pierce is to blame for refusing to go to Portland.