Author Topic: Tyreke Evans? Say it aint so!  (Read 11268 times)

Re: Tyreke Evans? Say it aint so!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
::Bump::

Just saw this True Hoop article about PG workout held in Minny.  Tyreke Evans impressed...
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-116/Minnesota-s-Massive-Point-Guard-Workout.html

Things got exponentially more interesting in the one-on-one competition (taking turns playing D, staying on if you scored, etc). It was here that Evans established himself as the class of the group. Probably somewhat unfair to pit him against smaller, true point guards as he had at least three inches and twenty pounds on everyone, but I suppose those guys are going to have to get used to that type of matchup at the next level.

Anyway, Tyreke was dominant.

Refusing to simply muscle his way to the hoop (which he did handily a few times), he scored in a half a dozen different ways. Pull-ups on the wing, runners, balanced fade-aways, and a particularly spectacular jab-step and crossover that sent Flynn (without question the best defender of the group) reeling. His jumper needs work but I wouldn't call it a weakness, and he'll definitely hit enough to force defenders to respect it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
::Bump::

Just saw this True Hoop article about PG workout held in Minny.  Tyreke Evans impressed...
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-116/Minnesota-s-Massive-Point-Guard-Workout.html

Things got exponentially more interesting in the one-on-one competition (taking turns playing D, staying on if you scored, etc). It was here that Evans established himself as the class of the group. Probably somewhat unfair to pit him against smaller, true point guards as he had at least three inches and twenty pounds on everyone, but I suppose those guys are going to have to get used to that type of matchup at the next level.

Anyway, Tyreke was dominant.

Refusing to simply muscle his way to the hoop (which he did handily a few times), he scored in a half a dozen different ways. Pull-ups on the wing, runners, balanced fade-aways, and a particularly spectacular jab-step and crossover that sent Flynn (without question the best defender of the group) reeling. His jumper needs work but I wouldn't call it a weakness, and he'll definitely hit enough to force defenders to respect it.

The problem is running a backcourt with 2 guys that can't shoot is just a bad idea from an offensive standpoint.  You think they sag badly off Rondo to double others?  That problem would be exacerbated if you take out Ray Allen and replace him with a nonshooter like Evans.

The other thing is that Evans enjoys a big height advantage vs pointguards.  So having a taller SG combo guard playing against shorter guys, off course that helps him look better.  The one thing that is impressive about the workouts if true is, he had the speed to stay in front of pointguards with a SG's body?  That's some impressive defense if that was the case.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Let the record show I was not on board with the rumored pre-draft Rondo for Tyreke Evans deal.

And yet, I wanted to revisit the topic after witnessing Evans's Saturday second-half against Denver and his last second, game-winning fade-away over Kenyon Martin. Also after reading this short comparison piece by Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm.

Admittedly, Evans is not yet halfway through his rookie season, but he's currently averaging over 20 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assist, and 1 steal per game. Something only two other rookies have done.

Michael Jordan and Lebron James.

Now Jordan is clearly 1A on this list, holding a significant edge in every statistical category save 3P%. (Really, Mike? 17%?) 7 more points per, 51% shooting vs Tyreke's 46% and Lebron's 42%, 2.4 spg, etc. James meanwhile, at nineteen, remains the youngest rookie and was making the more daunting transition from high-school to the pros. Still, that's rarefied air.

Shades of Paul Pierce for Chris Paul? Another "What if?" footnote for Ainge's storied draft day record (see Durant vs. Oden)? I can at least say for certain that I misjudged Evans.

Also, Moore didn't include each rookie's team record but possibly should have.

the 84-85 Bulls finished 38-44
the 03-04 Cavaliers 33-49
the 09-10 Kings are currently 15-21.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
wow, yeah I had forgotten all about this.  It would have been a very bold move back then, but clearly Ainge really is smart.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's quite the comparison.  I didn't realize that.  Pretty impressive.

I'm still am not really sure what to make of this kid from watching.

He's clearly talented but sometimes I see him just as a gunner and playing with a "street baller" mentality.  I'm still trying to figure out who from the past that he most represents.  I definitely don't see him as a Jordan/Lebron type.  Is he truly the tyep you build around to create a legitimate title contender?  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Is he truly the type you build around to create a legitimate title contender?

My 8 Ball says, "Ask Again Later." Is Rondo?

EDIT: Appropriate question with which to plug Hobbs's "Pick Two" draft?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:38:38 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is he truly the type you build around to create a legitimate title contender?

My 8 Ball says, "Ask Again Later." Is Rondo?

EDIT: Appropriate question with which to plug Hobbs's "Pick Two" draft?

Ainge was definitely right about the player to trade for (although we still haven't seen what Griffin has to offer), but I feel pretty good about what Rondo has to offer this team now and in the future. Evans really would have to hit Brandon Roy status (or more) for me to want to make this trade.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
That's quite the comparison.  I didn't realize that.  Pretty impressive.

I'm still am not really sure what to make of this kid from watching.

He's clearly talented but sometimes I see him just as a gunner and playing with a "street baller" mentality.  I'm still trying to figure out who from the past that he most represents.  I definitely don't see him as a Jordan/Lebron type.  Is he truly the tyep you build around to create a legitimate title contender?  
Mitch Richmond comes to mind the more i see Tyreke develops...he has a lot of the same strengths in his game.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
He reminds me most of Dwyane Wade, but he is more physical. And Dwyane has a better jumper.

He is on the path to being a superstar and top 10 NBA talent. He has solid court vision and has the knack for hitting big shots.

His D is pretty good as well. Can defend 3 positions.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
He reminds me most of Dwyane Wade, but he is more physical. And Dwyane has a better jumper.

He is on the path to being a superstar and top 10 NBA talent. He has solid court vision and has the knack for hitting big shots.

From what i read he meant someone from the past not the present?

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let the record show I was not on board with the rumored pre-draft Rondo for Tyreke Evans deal.

And yet, I wanted to revisit the topic after witnessing Evans's Saturday second-half against Denver and his last second, game-winning fade-away over Kenyon Martin. Also after reading this short comparison piece by Matt Moore of Hardwood Paroxysm.

Admittedly, Evans is not yet halfway through his rookie season, but he's currently averaging over 20 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assist, and 1 steal per game. Something only two other rookies have done.

Michael Jordan and Lebron James.

We'll see how Evans does, but a month ago people were comparing Jordan's accomplishments to Brandon Jennings.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Who cares how good Evans is UNLESS he is the next MJ or LeBron, which I think is very doubtful.  Personally, I couldn't care less if he's the next Mitch Richmond.  What good would that have done us if we lost Rondo?  This team doesn't need another good passing 2/3, they need a pure point guard. 

And if 2-3 years from now Evans is the next Mitch and Rondo is the next Robert Pack, that's fine by me as long as we have a couple more titles. 

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
Who cares how good Evans is UNLESS he is the next MJ or LeBron, which I think is very doubtful.  Personally, I couldn't care less if he's the next Mitch Richmond.  What good would that have done us if we lost Rondo?  This team doesn't need another good passing 2/3, they need a pure point guard. 

And if 2-3 years from now Evans is the next Mitch and Rondo is the next Robert Pack, that's fine by me as long as we have a couple more titles. 
Donoghus asked a question to who Evans remind him of in the past,i see Mitch Richmond's game as a similarity,not saying that he is the next Mitch or MJ or anyone...i wish posters would read the posts clearer if thats possible and stop reading what they want them to be .My post wasn't intended to project Evans as being the next anyone but himself.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:08:04 PM by housecall »

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

I watch some Sacramento games (they're probably my second favorite team), and he does remind me of a smaller scale Lebron.  

Not to say he's going to have a Lebron-like career, which will rank among the leagues best ever, but he's built the same, just smaller, and he's very explosive.  He's going to be a very, very good player in his own right.  I love Rondo, but I think Evans will be the better player in the long run.  Danny was no fool when he considered such a move.