Author Topic: Tyreke Evans? Say it aint so!  (Read 11318 times)

Tyreke Evans? Say it aint so!
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think whenever you read Chad Ford articles, you need to have a filter for what he is hearing from his sources (which are excellent), and what he is throwing out there himself. 

His latest article has a bit of both, and I am really hoping his report that the C's are interested in trading into the lottery for Tyreke Evans is the latter. 

Of all the teams that have been active in trade discussions the past few weeks, the appearance of the Celtics has been the most surprising and the most interesting.

While the Celtics have shot down a rumor that they were talking to the Suns about an Amare Stoudemire for Rajon Rondo swap … we keep hearing their name more and more in conjunction with a top-to-mid first-round draft pick -- a sign that Danny Ainge must see someone he likes up high.

While various sources have different players pegged, there seems to be some consensus that one player in particular -- Memphis' Tyreke Evans -- is an Ainge favorite.

He definitely seems confident that the C's are trying to get a pick in the lottery for someone, but the Evans part is a little more wishy-washy.  But that doesn't make me feel that much better.

If the C's trade Ray Allen, or Rondo for the opportunity to pick Tyreke "Tony Allen" Evans, I will be more than disapointed.

This is the part of the pre-draft rumor season that I hate.  Whether it is rumors that the C's are going to take Chairman Yi, or that they are going to trade an All-Star for an undersized shooting guard who can't shoot, and has questionable basketball IQ, it just is not fun.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftBuzz-090612
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:53:25 PM by Chris »

Re: Tyreke Evans? Say it aint so!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I believe it, though I'm not in favor of any deal for Evans that involve Ray or Rajon...

Certainly Ainge has never been much dissuaded by reputations - Davis, Szczerbiak, Rondo, Marbury, his interest in Iverson - or checkered pasts - T.A., Telfair, Giddens, Marbury again. Possibly his only philosophical difference with Wyc?

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I truly trust Danny, especially when it comes to having an eye for talent.  However, this one scares me.  Ray is clutch and for an expiring contract like Ray's we ought to be getting a heck of a lot more in return in my opinion.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I believe it, though I'm not in favor of any deal for Evans that involve Ray or Rajon...

Certainly Ainge has never been much dissuaded by reputations - Davis, Szczerbiak, Rondo, Marbury, his interest in Iverson - or checkered pasts - T.A., Telfair, Giddens, Marbury again. Possibly his only philosophical difference with Wyc?

Hopefully if Danny is smoking something and actually considering that trade, Wyc has the common sense to shoot the deal (or Ainge for that matter) down. 

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Jonny Flynn is the guy in this draft GM's should be trying to move up to pick.  He'll be selected later than he should, and will turn out to be one of the top 3 players from this draft class.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, I'm in that camp that would rather use Ray's expiring contract for at least a proven commodity.  I don't like the idea of sending Ray away to get a mismatch of talent and a high draft pick, especically looking at the talent in this year's draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Also, although Tyreke Evans does in fact strike me as Ainge's type; I'm not sure how an Evans/Rondo backcourt functions? Two long, quick, athletic finishers with great defensive upside, who both over-dribble and lack jumpers?

I don't watch a lot of college ball. Am I wrong?

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I truly trust Danny, especially when it comes to having an eye for talent.  However, this one scares me.  Ray is clutch and for an expiring contract like Ray's we ought to be getting a heck of a lot more in return in my opinion.

Honestly, if it were almost anyone else in the lottery, I think I could get on board with it, but I just really am not a fan of Evans game.  He just has innefficient gunner written all over him.  And those guys don't win championships.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Reminds me of a less athletic Tony Allen :o  Then again, Danny loves him some Tony Allen.  Noah, Tyrus Thomas, Howard, and Gasol would have a field day with blocks.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »

Offline timboup

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
would much rather have james harden and a solid big if we traded ray allen, but i dont know if trading ray is a good idea.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Evans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td5OWGHEQdM
http://tv.kingsconnect.com/archives/809

He reminds me of Wade going to the basket...  ;D

Those are his highlights?! Looks more like a ball hog one on five type player to me. Doesn't appear to have any hops. The less-athletic TA comparison seems right on. Pass!

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Please no. He really doesn't look like anything special. His whole game is about bulling to the basket with his strength--something that is much harder to do in the pros.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109

[/quote]

Those are his highlights?! Looks more like a ball hog one on five type player to me. Doesn't appear to have any hops. The less-athletic TA comparison seems right on. Pass!
[/quote]

I totally agree, based on that 'highlight' package.

I'm all for shopping Ray and or Rondo, on the condition that we fill in pieces to win now, and give us flexibility and talent for the future...

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

[/quote]

I totally agree, based on that 'highlight' package.

I'm all for shopping Ray and or Rondo, on the condition that we fill in pieces to win now, and give us flexibility and talent for the future...
[/quote]

Exactly. Honest to God, I think some people are so hungry to get back to the days of waxing hyperbolic about Tony Allen, Orien Greene and Brandon Hunter that they're willing to toss a championship shot under the bus.

I have NO interest in any deal involving Ray or Rondo or anyone else, for that matter, that doesn't enhance our opportunity to win NEXT YEAR. I don't find the draft or rebuilding nearly as fascinating as winning titles.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."