Author Topic: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?  (Read 20137 times)

Re: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Play him at point guard and shooting guard off the bench and he'll be happy he could get a lot of minutes and a lot of shots. He's not done. Michael Curry handled him horribly last year.

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.
and if Ray's traded for a pick and a bench scorer move AI to be the third piece of the big three.

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 03:17:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If he wants to sign a minimum not-guaranteed contract I'd be very interested in him

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
AI has no interest in being a sixth man. Just becaues you want him to be, doesn't mean he wants to be.

And one off season isnt going to change that.

And for the record, I'm 25 and I hate AI. And yes, he's a thug, not because of his tattoos, but his criminal record.

I dont think AI is capable of being a role player given his ego. I know the playoffs seem like a long time, but it wasn't too long ago Detroit asked him to stay home! The guy they traded "Mr Big Shot" for - was asked to stay at home.

It's ludacris to think AI has somehow now changed in a short few weeks and is ready to be a role player.

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
AI has no interest in being a sixth man. Just becaues you want him to be, doesn't mean he wants to be.

And one off season isnt going to change that.

And for the record, I'm 25 and I hate AI. And yes, he's a thug, not because of his tattoos, but his criminal record.

I dont think AI is capable of being a role player given his ego. I know the playoffs seem like a long time, but it wasn't too long ago Detroit asked him to stay home! The guy they traded "Mr Big Shot" for - was asked to stay at home.

It's ludacris to think AI has somehow now changed in a short few weeks and is ready to be a role player.
I still think he is just getting adjusted to the idea of being a 6th man. Steph was told to stay away from his team, signed with us in a back up capacity and then came back and gave a lot of effort for us ( I thought he played great defense).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

Offline scootman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
talk about poison. look what he did to detriot in the short amount of time he had. i do not want iverson at all. but how do other people feel?

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
talk about poison. look what he did to detriot in the short amount of time he had. i do not want iverson at all. but how do other people feel?

Well, I think I have made my point on this already, but this is such a short sighted attitude and why players like Randy Moss and Corey Dillon were had at a fraction of their worth...and then totally succeeded- they just needed the right environment.

If there is one thing Danny likes to do, it is sell high and buy low. I am not saying we are going to take on AI, or that he would even take the MLE- but if Rondo is traded, you can bet the question will at least be asked to his agent. Players like Iverson need a championship to make their careers complete. After last year, his NBA identity is in disarray.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

and the nuggetts, who are so much better with chauncy its funny.

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

sounds like a guy who would be happy with a backup role and team play.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.
Denver won four more games this year than last year and was 2 games better against the Lakers in the playoffs this year then last year.  Denver's bigs were finally healthy the whole season.  Smith and Melo continued their upward progression.  The reality is, Denver really wasn't much different with Billups as they were with AI, they just got lucky the west had only 1 elite team and that they faced seriously flawed teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs with home court.

Did you watch many Denver games last year and this year? not asking to be a jerk, but i watched them both last year and this year, and it wasn't just about being healthy, though that surely helped.

It was about attitude. last year, denver gave absolutely no effort on defense, and couldn't keep opposing guards out of the paint, which ruined them.

That stems from AI's inability or lack of desire to play defense. Chauncey fixed that.

Last year also consisted mostly of two offenseive plays. watch Ai dribble alot before a shot, or watch melo dribble alot before a shot. Iverson is not a distributor, nor has he ever been. He will get assists off slashing, but he routinely dribbles the air out of the basketball before finally giving the ball up with 5-8 second left on the clock.

Chauncy, on the other hand, ran there offense instead of a one on one game that sometimes involved other players.

Iverson's game is predicated on him being faster and quicker than anyone on the court, and exploiting man to man offenses. He needs to be the alpha star on a team, and he was very good at it when he had the physical tools.

but He doesn't anymore, but the head seems not to have caught up with the body's decline. so, just as he was in both places, he is a very inefficient scorer who gives you nothing on defense and very little in the way of ball movement on offense.

He's done. If i thought he had any chance of adapting his ego to being a backup scoring option or a 6th man, i would say he has some value left, but he clearly sees himself as still being an elite player, and acts as such. Thats why the pistons couldn't be happier to send him home for the year, and karl couldn't wait to be rid of him.
That is all well and good, but Denver won just 4 more games this year and lost to the exact same team in the playoffs, though did fair a bit better.

If Denver was really that much better they would have won more han 4 games more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Play him at point guard and shooting guard off the bench and he'll be happy he could get a lot of minutes and a lot of shots. He's not done. Michael Curry handled him horribly last year.

Is any of the crap thats followed him his entire career his fault or are we extending the marbury free pass to him as well and pretending that was the first time a coach has ever had to call him out/ bench him because of his attitude?

People go so far out of their way to make excuses for him its not even funny. He's a good player, but he's a jerk and from all accounts a me first player.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.
Denver won four more games this year than last year and was 2 games better against the Lakers in the playoffs this year then last year.  Denver's bigs were finally healthy the whole season.  Smith and Melo continued their upward progression.  The reality is, Denver really wasn't much different with Billups as they were with AI, they just got lucky the west had only 1 elite team and that they faced seriously flawed teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs with home court.

Did you watch many Denver games last year and this year? not asking to be a jerk, but i watched them both last year and this year, and it wasn't just about being healthy, though that surely helped.

It was about attitude. last year, denver gave absolutely no effort on defense, and couldn't keep opposing guards out of the paint, which ruined them.

That stems from AI's inability or lack of desire to play defense. Chauncey fixed that.

Last year also consisted mostly of two offenseive plays. watch Ai dribble alot before a shot, or watch melo dribble alot before a shot. Iverson is not a distributor, nor has he ever been. He will get assists off slashing, but he routinely dribbles the air out of the basketball before finally giving the ball up with 5-8 second left on the clock.

Chauncy, on the other hand, ran there offense instead of a one on one game that sometimes involved other players.

Iverson's game is predicated on him being faster and quicker than anyone on the court, and exploiting man to man offenses. He needs to be the alpha star on a team, and he was very good at it when he had the physical tools.

but He doesn't anymore, but the head seems not to have caught up with the body's decline. so, just as he was in both places, he is a very inefficient scorer who gives you nothing on defense and very little in the way of ball movement on offense.

He's done. If i thought he had any chance of adapting his ego to being a backup scoring option or a 6th man, i would say he has some value left, but he clearly sees himself as still being an elite player, and acts as such. Thats why the pistons couldn't be happier to send him home for the year, and karl couldn't wait to be rid of him.
That is all well and good, but Denver won just 4 more games this year and lost to the exact same team in the playoffs, though did fair a bit better.

If Denver was really that much better they would have won more han 4 games more.
They were the number two seed, advanced to the WCF, won 10 playoff games, and posted a much stronger point differential. That's not a small difference.

Also using Birdman instead of Camby in the rotation is a definite downgrade. You could just look at Billups/AI's stats too. AI's are much much worse.

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.

Is any of the crap thats followed him his entire career his fault or are we extending the marbury free pass to him as well and pretending that was the first time a coach has ever had to call him out/ bench him because of his attitude?

People go so far out of their way to make excuses for him its not even funny. He's a good player, but he's a jerk and from all accounts a me first player.
Maybe thats because the coach was Larry Brown...

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They were the number two seed, advanced to the WCF, won 10 playoff games, and posted a much stronger point differential. That's not a small difference.

Also using Birdman instead of Camby in the rotation is a definite downgrade. You could just look at Billups/AI's stats too. AI's are much much worse.
Nene, Martin, and the Birdman was a far better rotation this season then they had last year due to injuries and overall fit.  Melo and Smith were significantly better players coming into the year, especially Melo as a result of the Olympics.  54 wins two years ago makes them the 7th seed (just one spot better than they were with 50 wins, though that might have meant a better showing not playing the Lakers in the first round).  The West was just flat out better two years ago then it was last year.  The Nuggets took advantage of the weaker conference and the improved play of their best player.  AI was a bit of a redundancy with the games of Melo and Smith, so Billups was likely a better fit, but the overhype of what billups did for the nuggets is ridiculous.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I know I'm entering the discussion a little late here but: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (takes a breath) hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha  ha    ha     ha.....hooh the offseason. How crazy the posts get in the off season!

But seriously, what's there to talk about here? At this point, we all know exactly who this guy is and what he means to the any team he's on. AI is not for us, or for anyone, especially at the point guard position.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2009, 12:52:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I figure if we did trade Rondo for a good young big or PG for the future, Wouldnt Allen Iverson be a good fit for our team? He would be a great fit offensively I believe because he has the same if not more ability to break down defenders & live in the paint like Rondo if not better. He couldn't be left open either because he wont hesistate to take the open jumper like Rondo does 70% of the time. He could be reliable again playing with proven All-Stars who wont demand that he score the ball like Detroit did last year. I think Detroit's stagnate offense was too much for Iverson to overcome & reminded him of his Philly days where he was relied on too heavily to work his old magic most times with the clock running down. In Boston he could facilitate & would be enticed to come becuase he would be single covered 90% of the time with Paul & Ray on the wings & could have his best assist year ever working with 3 All Stars not including himself. What is always lost with A.I. is that he is a very good passer, he just never really had the luxury of playing with great scorers besides Carmelo & Rip. I could easily see Iverson averaging 19pts. 4 rebs. 9ast. 3stls. a game for us next year without much effort & could do better based on his motivation to win a title. It is now or never for A.I. to win a championship & with Detroit sending home last season before the playoffs started, im sure it made him look long & hard in the mirror on how he may have tarnished his image & would be out to prove ALL the doubters wrong and show that he can lead a team with his playmaking abilities rather than scoring 30 a game. We all know he would give us his all & Danny has long admired A.I. for years. And now that he can be had at the right price Im sure he would love to be a Celtic with K.G. Plus K.G. & A.I. lobbied to play with each other about 3 years ago before Iverson's trade to Denver. Iverson's defense is not far off Rondo's as they are both gamblers looking for steals with neither being great on ball guys. They can both pressure defenders good up the floor, but in the half court set they are both just average. What we lose in rebounding with Rondo I feel being the best rebounding PG in the league, we would gain in toughness & guile in pressure packed moments because Allen has to be accounted for as opposed to being the weak link in the chain like Rondo has been in the playoffs when he made to be the guy who had to score. Everyone automatically assumes the FA's Danny is thinking about is Sheed, McDyess, Hill. But I am more inclined to think it is Allen who they are really targeting. Allen was also on record saying he wants to play til he is 39 & at PG, not as a go to scorer. Analyze this with sense of the players he is going to be playing with, and not with your hearts & affinity for Rondo & then tell me what you think!
AI was in no way a victim of the Detroit system. He was the problem.

And how is Rondo the weak link on a team that is all about defense?

AI and PP on the same team is a horrific idea.

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2009, 01:12:01 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Regarding the thread title, to paraphrase Billy Madison, I'd like to think "a simple 'no' suffices here."

Beyond that, cosign me with the sentiments posted repeatedly and effectively by crownsy (and Fafnir) in particular.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.