Author Topic: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?  (Read 20132 times)

Re: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

and the nuggetts, who are so much better with chauncy its funny.

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

sounds like a guy who would be happy with a backup role and team play.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.
Denver won four more games this year than last year and was 2 games better against the Lakers in the playoffs this year then last year.  Denver's bigs were finally healthy the whole season.  Smith and Melo continued their upward progression.  The reality is, Denver really wasn't much different with Billups as they were with AI, they just got lucky the west had only 1 elite team and that they faced seriously flawed teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs with home court.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Just say no to AI (Artificial Intelligence).  :P

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.
Denver won four more games this year than last year and was 2 games better against the Lakers in the playoffs this year then last year.  Denver's bigs were finally healthy the whole season.  Smith and Melo continued their upward progression.  The reality is, Denver really wasn't much different with Billups as they were with AI, they just got lucky the west had only 1 elite team and that they faced seriously flawed teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs with home court.

Did you watch many Denver games last year and this year? not asking to be a jerk, but i watched them both last year and this year, and it wasn't just about being healthy, though that surely helped.

It was about attitude. last year, denver gave absolutely no effort on defense, and couldn't keep opposing guards out of the paint, which ruined them.

That stems from AI's inability or lack of desire to play defense. Chauncey fixed that.

Last year also consisted mostly of two offenseive plays. watch Ai dribble alot before a shot, or watch melo dribble alot before a shot. Iverson is not a distributor, nor has he ever been. He will get assists off slashing, but he routinely dribbles the air out of the basketball before finally giving the ball up with 5-8 second left on the clock.

Chauncy, on the other hand, ran there offense instead of a one on one game that sometimes involved other players.

Iverson's game is predicated on him being faster and quicker than anyone on the court, and exploiting man to man offenses. He needs to be the alpha star on a team, and he was very good at it when he had the physical tools.

but He doesn't anymore, but the head seems not to have caught up with the body's decline. so, just as he was in both places, he is a very inefficient scorer who gives you nothing on defense and very little in the way of ball movement on offense.

He's done. If i thought he had any chance of adapting his ego to being a backup scoring option or a 6th man, i would say he has some value left, but he clearly sees himself as still being an elite player, and acts as such. Thats why the pistons couldn't be happier to send him home for the year, and karl couldn't wait to be rid of him.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
This thread was obviously started by a Sixers or Knicks fan, props for the Friday afternoon laugh!

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Did you watch many Denver games last year and this year? not asking to be a jerk, but i watched them both last year and this year, and it wasn't just about being healthy, though that surely helped.

It was about attitude. last year, denver gave absolutely no effort on defense, and couldn't keep opposing guards out of the paint, which ruined them.

That stems from AI's inability or lack of desire to play defense. Chauncey fixed that.

Last year also consisted mostly of two offenseive plays. watch Ai dribble alot before a shot, or watch melo dribble alot before a shot. Iverson is not a distributor, nor has he ever been. He will get assists off slashing, but he routinely dribbles the air out of the basketball before finally giving the ball up with 5-8 second left on the clock.

Chauncy, on the other hand, ran there offense instead of a one on one game that sometimes involved other players.

Iverson's game is predicated on him being faster and quicker than anyone on the court, and exploiting man to man offenses. He needs to be the alpha star on a team, and he was very good at it when he had the physical tools.

but He doesn't anymore, but the head seems not to have caught up with the body's decline. so, just as he was in both places, he is a very inefficient scorer who gives you nothing on defense and very little in the way of ball movement on offense.

He's done. If i thought he had any chance of adapting his ego to being a backup scoring option or a 6th man, i would say he has some value left, but he clearly sees himself as still being an elite player, and acts as such. Thats why the pistons couldn't be happier to send him home for the year, and karl couldn't wait to be rid of him.
He's not done, he does have a chance of adapting his ego and becoming a sixth man for the right team. Was he willing to take a back seat last year to a 2nd year player, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace, no because those players aren't superstars. Is he willing to take a back up role to KG, Pierce and Ray, you better believe it.

There is no doubt that Chauncy is better than AI right now. A large reason Denver was better this year because Billups brought toughness and defense to a team that was lacking it. His play didn't make the team better but his attitude. They played better defense and didn't get down when losing. Just because AI couldn't provide that leadership doesn't mean he's done. I maintain that AI would be a great 6th man for us, in which he only had to score in small spurts, wasn't required to be a leader and didn't play long enough for his defensive short comings to be evident. You as a Celtics fan should know that a player can transform his game in the right situation striving for a championship.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
OMG, i just realized if we got AI (practice?) and Sheed ('Bof teams played hard'), we'd be able to charge admission and sell refreshments to the post game press conferences.

Can you imagine the circus that would be?  It'd be like the detroit circus came to town...

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

He's not done, he does have a chance of adapting his ego and becoming a sixth man for the right team. Was he willing to take a back seat last year to a 2nd year player, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace, no because those players aren't superstars. Is he willing to take a back up role to KG, Pierce and Ray, you better believe it.

There is no doubt that Chauncy is better than AI right now. A large reason Denver was better this year because Billups brought toughness and defense to a team that was lacking it. His play didn't make the team better but his attitude. They played better defense and didn't get down when losing. Just because AI couldn't provide that leadership doesn't mean he's done. I maintain that AI would be a great 6th man for us, in which he only had to score in small spurts, wasn't required to be a leader and didn't play long enough for his defensive short comings to be evident. You as a Celtics fan should know that a player can transform his game in the right situation striving for a championship.

I also know not to overvalue it. Every time someone raises a legit concern about the fact that  player x has had problems with teammates, coaches, the law, whatever, its put off by that players apologists as "not his fault, look at his situation! it will be different when he has KG on his team"

This has even started to be applied to huge flaws in players games. just yesterday we were told not to worry that nash is the worst defensive PG in the league because "that will change under kg of course"

KG is not the messiah and does not change players personality's simply by being present, and AI remains a bad fit for our brand of basketball. No thank you to AI.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I love AI but he would be a horrible fit for this team. The reason why Rondo works, is because he isn't a great shooter, thus he is more prone to pass. Which is what the team needs because of the big 3.

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I love AI but he would be a horrible fit for this team. The reason why Rondo works, is because he isn't a great shooter, thus he is more prone to pass. Which is what the team needs because of the big 3.

somewhat, but a bigger reason is because rondo, despite a tendency to gamble, is a very good defender and limits penetration by guards, something AI does not do at all.

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I also know not to overvalue it. Every time someone raises a legit concern about the fact that  player x has had problems with teammates, coaches, the law, whatever, its put off by that players apologists as "not his fault, look at his situation! it will be different when he has KG on his team"

This has even started to be applied to huge flaws in players games. just yesterday we were told not to worry that nash is the worst defensive PG in the league because "that will change under kg of course"

KG is not the messiah and does not change players personality's simply by being present, and AI remains a bad fit for our brand of basketball. No thank you to AI.

That was the last and least important of my points. My main point is that he is not done and would be able to accept a 6th man role for us.

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

Offline Manzana

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I didn't read the above posts, but saw this topic and am wondering if anyone saw what happened in Detroit after they got AI?

AI is nothing but a me-first point guard.. a lot of people love the guy because of his "heart" and the fact he goes all out, but he is not a good teammate. Are these the same folks that think Marbury can be the starting point guard?

I am amazed at how quickly the tide has changed on Rondo, he played spectacular basketball in the playoffs, and then we just forget and want him outta here. He still has a lot of growing to do. I would NOT want to see him leave here unless you get a Deron Williams or Chris Paul in return.

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

That was the last and least important of my points. My main point is that he is not done and would be able to accept a 6th man role for us.

right, because as you go on to say he would be a different person here.

Your entire point about him being a 6th man, something that just drove him to quit on his team, is based on the point that he will be a complelty new person here, who wouldn't quit on his team due to his ego.

what is that based on other than this intrinsic "oh, everyone who comes here fits in because Kg is awesome!" rule? It's certainly not based on actual reality or the players past...

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
AI is the worst idea for this team. Think of the change.

Rondo's goal everynight is 15 assists

AI's goal everynight is 35 points.

and theres 3 other superstars.

horrible idea, Iverson is a 2 guard that too short.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is an interesting option.  We know that they ahve tried to connect in the past.  Would he sign for the MLE?  If you trade Rondo for the #2, at that point, is it Rubio or Thabeet?

Lot's of questions open up with this idea.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

right, because as you go on to say he would be a different person here.

Your entire point about him being a 6th man, something that just drove him to quit on his team, is based on the point that he will be a complelty new person here, who wouldn't quit on his team due to his ego.

what is that based on other than this intrinsic "oh, everyone who comes here fits in because Kg is awesome!" rule? It's certainly not based on actual reality or the players past...

You're right, it is more of a feeling. When a player is given the choice of adapting to a new role or not playing basketball I assume the player will adapt. Last year was when he went through the denial step this year he'll skip right to the acceptance step, because he has no other choice. No one is going to bring him in to be the man, and I don't think he wants to retire.