Author Topic: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?  (Read 20223 times)

Re: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
AI is not even in the same stratoshere as far as staying in front of his guy.  Sure, Rondo gambles, but AI goes so far as to fake gamble- he lazily lunges for steals he has no shot at just so he doesn't have to put effort in.  He also fakes getting caught on picks and fakes being knocked down so he has an excuse not to stay with his man.  I've rarely seen such a display of false hustle.  If you just focus on AI playing defense it can be laugh out loud comical.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
If Rondo was traded, I would hope we'd get a good floor manager in return. Then Boston would not even have to think about bringing on the malcontent known as A.I. If he could not be a good team player in Detroit, not in a million years do I think he would be a good player for the C's.

Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Practice? PRACTICE!?  I mean, we're talking Practice.  Prac - tice.  Not Games, Just Practice.  Practice.  PRAAAA KTUSSS. Practice, cmon man. P R A C T I C E....

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Man, it really is too bad for AI what happened in Detroit last year. When he was in Denver, he proved that he was still a decent player. It wasn't until Billups arrived that people realized what they really needed (also remember that Denver's bigs were all healthy for the first time...ever- which was a huge reason Denver was as good as they were).

In Detroit, he never really fit in. Everyone was always talking about Stuckey and how he was the future. Iverson knew he was a FA and probably didn't have the heart he usually had. Detroit was a mess last year, all over the place- but that has more to do with the departure of their leader in Billups than AI's arrival.

If we traded Rondo, I would not be against bringing in AI- he would be similar to Marbury, but a little better in every way. It really sux how some players just become 'cancers' to people and they can't imagine a situation where they may mature or turn it around (AI had to work so hard to do everything in Philly, he certainly wasn't a 'cancer' there).

As for Artest, I would take him in a second!!

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Man, it really is too bad for AI what happened in Detroit last year. When he was in Denver, he proved that he was still a decent player. It wasn't until Billups arrived that people realized what they really needed (also remember that Denver's bigs were all healthy for the first time...ever- which was a huge reason Denver was as good as they were).

In Detroit, he never really fit in. Everyone was always talking about Stuckey and how he was the future. Iverson knew he was a FA and probably didn't have the heart he usually had. Detroit was a mess last year, all over the place- but that has more to do with the departure of their leader in Billups than AI's arrival.

If we traded Rondo, I would not be against bringing in AI- he would be similar to Marbury, but a little better in every way. It really sux how some players just become 'cancers' to people and they can't imagine a situation where they may mature or turn it around (AI had to work so hard to do everything in Philly, he certainly wasn't a 'cancer' there).

As for Artest, I would take him in a second!!
What has he shown that he wants that kind of role? Obviously he didnt accept in Detroit.

From wiki: On April 3, 2009, it was announced by Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars that Iverson would not play the remainder of the 2008–09 season. Dumars cited Iverson's ongoing back injury as the reason for his deactivation, although two days prior Iverson stated publicly that he'd rather retire than be moved to the bench as Piston's coach Michael Curry had decided.[24]

So he'd rather retire than come off the bench. But you think he's ready to be a role player for us?

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For all those guys who are talking about bringing AI in I would be interested in knowing how old you are. I have a theory on AI fans. That being that people who look at AI as being a good player and could still make a difference on a team are probably under the age of say 25 or 26.

I just think AI got a lot of fans in the late 90's and early 2000's with his rap thug persona and And1 style of play that sooooooooo many teenagers of that generation were infatuated with and that their early love of him, and not necessarily their unbiased view of what his game really is, is what makes them think that AI is a viable team player.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 11:29:18 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
For all those guys who are talking about bringing AI in I would be interested in knowing how old you are. I have a theory on AI fans. That being that people who look at AI as being a good player and could still make a difference on a team are probably under the age of say 25 or 26.

I just think AI got a lot of fans in the late 90's and early 2000's with his rap thug persona and And1 style of play that sooooooooo many teenagers of that generation were infatuated with and that their early love of him, and not necessarily their unbiased view of what his game really is, is what makes them think that AI is a viable team player.

I'm 25 so maybe that is possible, but I don't remember ever having an infatuation with AI. 

Suppose its as possible as anybody over the age of 26 being so disgusted by this selfish gangster that emerged in the late 90's and almost was the creator of this terrible thug culture in the NBA that their hate for him and how he changed the face of the NBA and not necessarily their unbiased view of what his game really is, is what makes them fail to realize that AI is a fantastic passer and one of the most creative scorers this league has ever seen.  ;)

Just messing, you're theory could be possible.  Maybe mine is too?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm 25 so maybe that is possible, but I don't remember ever having an infatuation with AI. 

Suppose its as possible as anybody over the age of 26 being so disgusted by this selfish gangster that emerged in the late 90's and almost was the creator of this terrible thug culture in the NBA that their hate for him and how he changed the face of the NBA and not necessarily their unbiased view of what his game really is, is what makes them fail to realize that AI is a fantastic passer and one of the most creative scorers this league has ever seen.  ;)

Just messing, you're theory could be possible.  Maybe mine is too?

Could be!! ;D ;D

But being 44 years old and yet a huge follower ofthe rap scene and loving Run DMC, NWA, Dre, Snoop, Ice-T, and some others I might not fit into your grouping. I have just hated his game since Georgetown as I felt he was a warrior, but his attitude, lack of size, and general selfish natre of his game would never translate into a championship because if you're 6-6 to 6-7 and have his ability(Michael, Kobe) then that type of style of play could translate to championships because the ability and size combined make it difficult to guard. At 6-0 or 6-1, it's a lot easier to take a one-self-centric player out of the game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:37:37 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
thug gangster?  just because a guy has a lot of tattoos doesn't make him a thug gangster.  what has Iverson ever done to be labeled gangster?  "we talkin bout practice"???

yeah, the guy spent most of his career on a team where he was the primary scorer and playmaker.  if i recall correctly, he got his team to a finals appearance with the likes of eric snow and aaron mckie as teammates.

for the record, I would not like to see Iverson running the point for this team or on this team in any other capacity, because as he stated forthrightly and honestly, he doesn't think he can play "that way" (as anything other than the primary guy).  I just don't get the animosity directed at this guy (remember the 2004 olympics when he and Tim Duncan were the only then-superstars that cared enough to even show up?)

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
AI won't end up in Boston.

An interesting question, though, is where he does end up.  Didn't Larry Brown say he could coach AI again?  I could see him ending up in Charlotte for the MLE.  That would be a decent starting lineup: AI, Bell, Wallace, Diaw, Okafor.  AI and Bell might be nice complements for each other.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Everyone is being far too hard on Iverson. Would you really rather have a rookie like Rubio than AI. All of you are thinking of him as he was not as he is. What I mean by that is we would not be bringing him in to play like he did before but to be a distributor and a scorer. Think Eddy House but he is able to dribble (in his ability to score not in his shooting). If we traded Rondo he would be a great addition to the team and probably the best we could get considering our cap situation. Even if we don't trade Rondo, I think AI would be the best back up point in the league, a spark plug who can get to the rim and pass the ball (look at his career assist numbers). I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers. If we signed him people would hemm and haw but in the end he would be a great fit for the Celtics.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

and the nuggetts, who are so much better with chauncy its funny.

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

sounds like a guy who would be happy with a backup role and team play.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Being twenty-one, disinterested in rap music, and unimpressed with Iverson's game, I guess I am the exception to the rule.

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
To the OP...you're killing me with this.

Security!  Please keep this man away from our team [holding up a picture of A.I.].

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know he rubbed a lot of basketball purists the wrong way, with his practice episode but he has won everywhere he's went except for the last year with the sixers

and the nuggetts, who are so much better with chauncy its funny.

oh, and Detroit where he quit on the team with a fake injury and was told to make himself scarce from the team rather than come off the bench.

sounds like a guy who would be happy with a backup role and team play.

You are right, he WAS a good player, but his attitude has never updated itself to the fact that he is not anywhere close to being the force he was in 99-2003 or so. He is a secondary or trietary option now, but his ego won't let him accept that.

Well, I just said it like 5 posts above, but the Denver bigs being healthy had a lot to do with Denver's success. I have a friend in Denver and he thinks that getting rid of Camby was the best thing for that team because it allowed Nene to flourish. Also, Martin and Birdman made this team a lot more viable...nevermind the improvement in Carmelo's game (which came during the summer in the olympics, not after Billups arrived).

While I agree that Billups was a better player for that Denver team, especially since JR Smith is a player very similar to AI, and they didn't need the duplication, Iverson did get that team to the playoffs every year in a very tough West.

In Detroit, he lacked interest, but so did everyone else not named Prince and McDyess- and neither of them are stars.

And, for the record, I am 29 and have never been a huge Iverson fan...at all...but if we lost Rondo, he would be very viable pg for this team playing with this much talent...I just hate how everyone freaks out over players that seem to have a sordid past, but when you really look into it, it's not so bad...