Author Topic: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?  (Read 20228 times)

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I figure if we did trade Rondo for a good young big or PG for the future, Wouldnt Allen Iverson be a good fit for our team? He would be a great fit offensively I believe because he has the same if not more ability to break down defenders & live in the paint like Rondo if not better. He couldn't be left open either because he wont hesistate to take the open jumper like Rondo does 70% of the time. He could be reliable again playing with proven All-Stars who wont demand that he score the ball like Detroit did last year. I think Detroit's stagnate offense was too much for Iverson to overcome & reminded him of his Philly days where he was relied on too heavily to work his old magic most times with the clock running down. In Boston he could facilitate & would be enticed to come becuase he would be single covered 90% of the time with Paul & Ray on the wings & could have his best assist year ever working with 3 All Stars not including himself. What is always lost with A.I. is that he is a very good passer, he just never really had the luxury of playing with great scorers besides Carmelo & Rip. I could easily see Iverson averaging 19pts. 4 rebs. 9ast. 3stls. a game for us next year without much effort & could do better based on his motivation to win a title. It is now or never for A.I. to win a championship & with Detroit sending home last season before the playoffs started, im sure it made him look long & hard in the mirror on how he may have tarnished his image & would be out to prove ALL the doubters wrong and show that he can lead a team with his playmaking abilities rather than scoring 30 a game. We all know he would give us his all & Danny has long admired A.I. for years. And now that he can be had at the right price Im sure he would love to be a Celtic with K.G. Plus K.G. & A.I. lobbied to play with each other about 3 years ago before Iverson's trade to Denver. Iverson's defense is not far off Rondo's as they are both gamblers looking for steals with neither being great on ball guys. They can both pressure defenders good up the floor, but in the half court set they are both just average. What we lose in rebounding with Rondo I feel being the best rebounding PG in the league, we would gain in toughness & guile in pressure packed moments because Allen has to be accounted for as opposed to being the weak link in the chain like Rondo has been in the playoffs when he made to be the guy who had to score. Everyone automatically assumes the FA's Danny is thinking about is Sheed, McDyess, Hill. But I am more inclined to think it is Allen who they are really targeting. Allen was also on record saying he wants to play til he is 39 & at PG, not as a go to scorer. Analyze this with sense of the players he is going to be playing with, and not with your hearts & affinity for Rondo & then tell me what you think!

Re: If Rondo was traded, couldn't Allen Iverson be a good PG for us?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:57:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don`t follow AI carrier but i don`t think he has made a team better ... At least the not Pistons and Nuggets. I`d say he made them worse!

Besides in a defense-first team Iverson would be a liability

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:20:07 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
A.I. was my favorite player when I was a big sixers fan because he had so much heart and really score at will. He risk his body so much and had injuries left to right but still played threw them all. I wouldn't mind having him on this team, but he really is no PG like Rondo. It's like House taking the ball up yes he is small, but can't be the captain like Rondo is for the Celtics. I rather keep Rondo and focus on players who won't complain if they on the bench. I don't think any Celtic including one of the most selfish players Marbury has a problem with coming off the bench to play.

Most won't agree with me still I would keep Marbury rather then take on A.I.

I'm not big on getting these head cases like Sheed or Artist they are great. But, you never know with them when they could bring down the team if they decide not to show up. It doesn't just look bad for them, but the whole team falls with them.

There should be no Rondo or Ray trading at all because even if they aren't the best guard duo. I just know in the future after Ray retires they bring in somebody who is more athletic like Rondo and run up the court with him

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:36:40 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I was very very excited about having him here when he was rumored to be a Celtic. Now, I honestly think he is almost done. This year he had a chance to make something happen in Detroit and he ended up being a distraction, altering the chemistry of the starting lineup in the Motown.

I'd rather keep Marbury

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
First of all, Iverson is not a point guard. He never has been and never will be one. The experiment has been tried many times by daring coaches but the result has never been good.

Second of all, at this point in Iverson's career, he is nowhere near as fast or quick as Rondo. Moreover, Rondo is getting better whereas Iverson is getting worse. This just doesn't make sense. He is not an option.

Finally, Iverson shoots .432% from the field whereas Rondo shoots .514%. Iverson's jump shooting percentages through out his career have consistently been mediocre to poor. So, yeah he will jack up shots that Rondo wouldn't, but that doesn't mean it will equate to points. Iverson has never been an efficient scorer. (And that is only the beginning of his very flawed game). Add to that his distaste for team play, his penchant for quitting on his team, and you can count me out.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:05:55 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
You guys are missing my point, I said if Rondo gets traded! If he doesn't then we definitely dont need A.I. obviously. I would much rather have a proven commodity in Iverson than a Ricky Rubio starting as a green rookie! Had to throw green in there.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
You guys are missing my point, I said if Rondo gets traded! If he doesn't then we definitely dont need A.I. obviously. I would much rather have a proven commodity in Iverson than a Ricky Rubio starting as a green rookie! Had to throw green in there.

No you're missing everyone elses point.

AI is a cancer. Detroit told him to stay home during the play offs. He brings more negatives to the team than positives.
I'd rather have an unkown, than a proven cancer.

AI is getting old. His game was built on his quickness which does not last forever. Having the size that he has, there is no way for him to adapt his game.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

No you're missing everyone elses point.

AI is a cancer. Detroit told him to stay home during the play offs. He brings more negatives to the team than positives.
I'd rather have an unkown, than a proven cancer.

AI is getting old. His game was built on his quickness which does not last forever. Having the size that he has, there is no way for him to adapt his game.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Don't ever think for one second that AI is or ever was a PG.  If this guy isn't the featured option 100% of the time he's out there, he couldn't care less about the game.  He plays zero defense and he's just about done.  John Bagley has more PG skill left in him than AI at this point.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
God, no, please, no AI!!!

Any team he is on is destined to never win a championship......ever!! Don't pick up the most selfish, non team player in the history of basketball.

He's not a cancer on a team. He's the freaking ebola virus!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Awful.

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
AI...not as a starting PG for us. Wrong skillset IMO. Defensively below what we'd demand, too.

As a bench player..A) We couldn't or shouldn't retain Eddie House, and B) He'd have to be cool being a 6th or more likely 7th (hopefully Rondo wouldn't be the first man out) guy in the rotation. I don't like the prospects of either.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This is a crazy topic because I genuinely believe that AI could fit in well here.  I can picture in my mind him displaying great passing skills, being able to spread the floor with his jumpshooting ability, and of course would expect his fg% to go up since he won't be depended on to take so many fga's attracting help defense.  People rave about rondo's defense and rant about AI's, but they really play pretty similarly on the ball.  Are both pests who can't stay in front of their men but can be distruptive and get steals.

The problem with this is that I also genuinely thought he'd be a great fit in Denver with another go-to scorer, which didn't work out well.  And Denver got better after he left.  I also genuinely thought he'd be a good fit in Detroit, finally somebody on the team who could create their own shot.  Didn't work out either.

So, its tough but I think I'd say no and see what other pg's would be available.  With the rest of our lineup as is and an improved bench under the assumption that Rondo was traded, we wouldn't need too much from our pg.  A rafer alston would do just fine.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is a crazy topic because I genuinely believe that AI could fit in well here.  I can picture in my mind him displaying great passing skills, being able to spread the floor with his jumpshooting ability, and of course would expect his fg% to go up since he won't be depended on to take so many fga's attracting help defense.  People rave about rondo's defense and rant about AI's, but they really play pretty similarly on the ball.  Are both pests who can't stay in front of their men but can be distruptive and get steals.

The problem with this is that I also genuinely thought he'd be a great fit in Denver with another go-to scorer, which didn't work out well.  And Denver got better after he left.  I also genuinely thought he'd be a good fit in Detroit, finally somebody on the team who could create their own shot.  Didn't work out either.

So, its tough but I think I'd say no and see what other pg's would be available.  With the rest of our lineup as is and an improved bench under the assumption that Rondo was traded, we wouldn't need too much from our pg.  A rafer alston would do just fine.

They aren't that similar...Rondo is bigger, longer, faster, and better as a defender. Allen iverson just gambles on steals.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

They aren't that similar...Rondo is bigger, longer, faster, and better as a defender. Allen iverson just gambles on steals.

Thats incredibly subjective.  Longer, sure.  Faster, there are many different ways to be faster in defense (laterally, reaction, etc.).  Bigger, barely.  Better?  How do you quantify that?  So I guess I'll agree to disagree.  Maybe I should have thrown an "IMO" in that last post.  But IMO, Rondo's lack of ability to stay in front of a pg is bailed out by his back line.  Possibly AI could benefit from the same.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Thats incredibly subjective.  Longer, sure.  Faster, there are many different ways to be faster in defense (laterally, reaction, etc.).  Bigger, barely.  Better?  How do you quantify that?  So I guess I'll agree to disagree.  Maybe I should have thrown an "IMO" in that last post.  But IMO, Rondo's lack of ability to stay in front of a pg is bailed out by his back line.  Possibly AI could benefit from the same.

No pg always keeps the opposing pg in front of him. If you're expecting AI to do as good a job of that as Rondo then good luck to you.