Poll

No Bias: Rudy Gay or Rondo

Rondo
23 (88.5%)
Rudy
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Woud you Sacrifice Rondo 4 Rudy Gay?  (Read 6481 times)

Re: Woud you Sacrifice Rondo 4 Rudy Gay?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I really like Rudy Gay a lot.  However, I wouldn't trade Rondo for him straight up.  Rondo fills a position of need, and could fill it for the next decade.

Rondo for Gay + the #2, I'd do.

Rondo for Gay + Conley, I'd think about, and probably do.

Rondo for Gay, I pass.

This is pretty much my stance too, but if i do it i immediately look to move ray for a high pick/ young talent to develop and think about moving PP or KG, because it signals that were waving the white flag on the last year or two of the championship window IMO.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
This would be a tough one...you could move Starbury to PG but having house as a backup for PG still worries me. You could always have Pierce take the point like he's done many times in the past, but those steel ball passes he makes when he's tired can be killer sometimes.  Idk it's an oddball thought, but think I would give it a shot..maybe... ???
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Straight up?  No.  You don't trade a starting PG with excellent potential for a backup wing with excellent potential.  In order to trade Rondo, we would need to get an absolute superstar back, or multiple players to fill multiple holes.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
the Rondo for Gay and the #2 would an unbelievable deal... but no one that I see happening.  This team loves having the Mayo and Gay combo for the future.  I think the only guy they dont like so much is Conley... they're in a tough spot as a team though because no one wants to play there.

I just spent 30 min on the trade machine trying to find us a way to get Gay and the #2, ended up involving PHX and Portland... then I gave up.

I just think the #2 isn't happening because the pieces don't match up.  I'm perfectly happy with the known quantity that is Rondo as opposed to the tantalizing, yet unknown quantity that is Rubio.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This would be a tough one...you could move Starbury to PG but having house as a backup for PG still worries me. You could always have Pierce take the point like he's done many times in the past, but those steel ball passes he makes when he's tired can be killer sometimes.  Idk it's an oddball thought, but think I would give it a shot..maybe... ???

You're ok with starting Mabury, but you're worried about House as a backup? I'm pretty sure Eddie resents that.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I'm getting a lot of grieve for suggesting that Marbury Replacing Rondo. But that's not the case, If we can get a player the caliper of Rudy Gay 4 Rondo then Why not? Celtics fans are crazy to think that Rondo is better than Rudy Gay.

I'm really getting sick of all the Rondo trade talk.

Guys like Rudy Gay grow on trees while guys like Rondo are an extremely rare breed.

Like it or not - Rondo and Perkins ARE the future of the Celtics while guys like Bill Walker and Pruitt remain projects with lots of upside.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 04:45:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Don't trade a PG with Rondo's ability for a swingman able to put up decent numbers on a lotto team.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I really like Rudy Gay a lot.  However, I wouldn't trade Rondo for him straight up.  Rondo fills a position of need, and could fill it for the next decade.

Rondo for Gay, I pass.

Agreed.

Although, I do think Ray would benefit from learning from a guy like Ray Allen as opposed to being on a losing, young Grizzlies team on which he basically just gets to hoist up as many shots as he wants. Still, I'd rather have Rondo.
The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

You're ok with starting Mabury, but you're worried about House as a backup? I'm pretty sure Eddie resents that.
Eddie's more effective at the 2, then he will ever be at the 1. He just doesn't look right playing PG, and I think he would agree to stay backup SG instead (which he's 3x more effective at).
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 06:25:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Eddie's more effective at the 2, then he will ever be at the 1. He just doesn't look right playing PG, and I think he would agree to stay backup SG instead (which he's 3x more effective at).
He's more effective at the offensive end. Defensively and on the boards he kills the team when he's playing a 2 with legit NBA size.

Unless we get a PG who can guard 2s and cross match I'd much rather see Eddie play at the point. Especially once we get into the playoffs.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 07:31:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo for Gay, I pass.

You'd lessen our chances of winning the title to pick up Gay, or even Gay and the #2?

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Rondo for Gay, I pass.

You'd lessen our chances of winning the title to pick up Gay, or even Gay and the #2?

I'm not sure that Gay + Conley, or Gay + #2, really would lessen our chances of winning, especially if we added a veteran free agent.  We may downgrade at the PG position, but we'd be getting a huge upgrade elsewhere.

I mean, you were one of the members who thought we'd win the title with a healthy KG this year, right?  Well, if the only player you subtract off this year's team is Rondo, and you add Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, and Antonio McDyess, wouldn't that amount to a net upgrade?  (That presumes you either re-sign BBD or replace him with a comparable talent).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Rondo for Gay, I pass.
I'd consider Rondo for Gay if there was some sort of truly viable PG available for the C's i.e. Andre Miller is signing on the dotted line as the trade is being made.

I'd do the other two trades without question.  Conley is actually a lot better than most people have made him out to be.  He shot over 40% from three for example at 2.6 attempts per game.  He doesn't turn it over a ton and is a solid passer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo for Gay, I pass.

I'm not sure that Gay + Conley, or Gay + #2, really would lessen our chances of winning, especially if we added a veteran free agent.  We may downgrade at the PG position, but we'd be getting a huge upgrade elsewhere.

I mean, you were one of the members who thought we'd win the title with a healthy KG this year, right?  Well, if the only player you subtract off this year's team is Rondo, and you add Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, and Antonio McDyess, wouldn't that amount to a net upgrade?  (That presumes you either re-sign BBD or replace him with a comparable talent).

It works fine if Conley plays at close to Rondo's 2009-2010 level. You could get McDyess whether we trade Rondo or not, so it comes down to Conley and Gay (as Paul's backup) vs Rondo and whoever Danny plans to sign to backup Paul, or Gay and the #2 and some fairly low paid vet (depending on what Mcdyess gets) versus Rondo. I guess it depends on how important you think Rondo is to the team.