Author Topic: Option after trading Rondo  (Read 11613 times)

Re: Option after trading Rondo
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Rubio is not a good shooter but he is an excellent defender!!! Probably right now the best defensive PG in Europe (and he is only 18). I am sure Rubio will be all star someday but Celtics simply dont need him right now. Rondo is good enough for the Celtics winning the 18 championship

Hmmm, well that it not what I have read.  But if you are right, then that does make things different a bit.  But I still think it makes little sense to trade for and keep both Conley and Rubio.  All you will do by having two young PG's like that is devalue one, if not both of them.  And I think this team needs at least one veteran PG on the team.

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Trading Rondo would be insane.  The only reason you trade him is if privately he is saying there is no way he wants to stay in Boston. 

Yeh, I don't get it.  I guess the only reason a guy improves is so his trade value increases. 

How about we keep him and reap the benefits?
Yup

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Trading Rondo would be insane.  The only reason you trade him is if privately he is saying there is no way he wants to stay in Boston. 

Yeh, I don't get it.  I guess the only reason a guy improves is so his trade value increases. 

Of our 5 starters, Rondo and Perk may be our most valuable assets. They represent winning right now and the future of the franchise. They'll be starters on the future team when the big 3 is gone.

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have a theory that I think is true.

Almost 100% of the people on this site want the starting five to stay the same and just add some parts and lets go for #18. But given that the Lakers are playing for a championship and we aren't and that we are all BORED OUT OF OUR SKULLS awaiting free agency, the draft and trade season, we dream up these trades. Not because we believe in them but because we have nothing else to talk about.

Trade Rondo.
Trade Ray.
Sign and trade Big Baby.
Trade Scal.
Trade Pierce.
Trade Tony.

We are saying these things but meaning none of them. Okay I wrong there. Trade Tony for a sweaty towel and an extra ball and I would be happy.

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think it all depends on his price.  I personally have a feeling that the C's will have to actually overpay him and give him close to the Max to keep him.  He is a very cocky kid, and is very sure of his abilities, and I think if the C's don't offer him big time money this summer, he is going to want to be a restricted FA next summer, when there will be a lot of teams with cap space, who may miss out on their #1 target, and then decide to overpay Rondo, so the C's won't want to match it.  

So if you can get good value for him now (and IMO, the #2 pick and Conley is probably about $1.10 on the dollar, since Conley is a very good prospect himself, and the #2 is valuable...and if its Gay instead of Conley its like $1.50 to the dollar), you should jump at it.

No one (OK, maybe not no one, but most of us) are not saying to have a firesale, and give him away for garbage, but we just think it may be worth looking at what kind of value he has, because he is likely close to his peak in value right now, before he gets a new contract, and coming off a good playoff run.

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I wonder how many people who want to nickle and dime Rondo also complain that we should have signed Posey to a ridiculous contract.

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I think it all depends on his price.  I personally have a feeling that the C's will have to actually overpay him and give him close to the Max to keep him.  He is a very cocky kid, and is very sure of his abilities, and I think if the C's don't offer him big time money this summer, he is going to want to be a restricted FA next summer, when there will be a lot of teams with cap space, who may miss out on their #1 target, and then decide to overpay Rondo, so the C's won't want to match it.  

So if you can get good value for him now (and IMO, the #2 pick and Conley is probably about $1.10 on the dollar, since Conley is a very good prospect himself, and the #2 is valuable...and if its Gay instead of Conley its like $1.50 to the dollar), you should jump at it.

No one (OK, maybe not no one, but most of us) are not saying to have a firesale, and give him away for garbage, but we just think it may be worth looking at what kind of value he has, because he is likely close to his peak in value right now, before he gets a new contract, and coming off a good playoff run.

I get that his value is high, but I guess I'd rather earn interest on my dollar than try to trade it for 5 quarters.
Yup

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I wonder how many people who want to nickle and dime Rondo also complain that we should have signed Posey to a ridiculous contract.

I thought passing on Posey was the right move.  In a couple years there will be a new CBA, and I have a feeling teams who have guys who are not legit stars signed to big and long contracts are going to be in a much tougher position than those teams who held tight to values of players, in order to maintain flexibility.

I also felt the C's could win the championship without him.

With Rondo I think the same thing.  If they overpay him, he will hurt them going forward.  But if they trade him for the right pieces, they can still win a championship next year (and might actually be better if they pull the right trigger), and will be set-up better for when the big 3 fade away.

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Almost 100% of the people on this site want the starting five to stay the same and just add some parts and lets go for #18. But given that the Lakers are playing for a championship and we aren't and that we are all BORED OUT OF OUR SKULLS awaiting free agency, the draft and trade season, we dream up these trades. Not because we believe in them but because we have nothing else to talk about.

Trade Rondo.
Trade Ray.
Sign and trade Big Baby.
Trade Scal.
Trade Pierce.
Trade Tony.

We are saying these things but meaning none of them. Okay I wrong there. Trade Tony for a sweaty towel and an extra ball and I would be happy.
Or trade TA for the classic half a ham sandwich.   ;)

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think that is 100% accurate.  I think that there would be some interest in trading Scal and Tony regardless, but I think that most people just like thinking of the crazy combination of players that they might agree to for Ray and Rondo.  (i.e., I don't want to trade Ray, but I'd move him for Kevin Martin, etc.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Is Rondo really going to be making the Max?  What team out there is going to be offering a contract near that, forcing the Celtics hands?

And if Rondo plays like a player that teams are going to offer that, shouldn't the Celtics keep him?  Would he be more valuable to them as a either a player or in a sign and trade to jumpstart the next Celtic team decade?

I just don't see the benifit of trading him now for another young player and draft picks. 

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 12:40:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Everyone remembers that Rondo was easily the best player for us during the playoffs, right?  Easily.  He carried us in the first round when nobody else stepped up.  He shot terribly against the Magic, but even in that series he averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists...   I'm one of the people who doesn't think that will continue... but if the kid actually turned a corner, he's possibly the best player the team has (with KG's future on shakey ground, with Ray continuing to get older and with Pierce seemingly missing a step).  If we traded Rondo... we'd have to get something very VERY substantial in return.  We've been grooming this kid to be the leader of Celtic Pride for the next decade.  He's had every possible mentor you could want for a future leader (Ainge, Doc, Cassell as point guards.. KG as a leader mentor, Ray as a professional... and Pierce as well).  He's helped lead us to a championship.   This team might be his next year with the way these playoffs went.  It might be going from "The Big 3" to "Rondo and the players formally known as the "Big 3"..."  Keeping him and Perk (who obviously did an amazing job at limiting Dwight) should be major major priorities.   If we have to pay Rondo "Max" money... we might want to just do it.  What's "Max money"?  14 mil a year?   His elderly sidekicks will be making 20 mil.

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Everyone remembers that Rondo was easily the best player for us during the playoffs, right?  Easily.  He carried us in the first round when nobody else stepped up.  He shot terribly against the Magic, but even in that series he averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists...   I'm one of the people who doesn't think that will continue... but if the kid actually turned a corner, he's possibly the best player the team has (with KG's future on shakey ground, with Ray continuing to get older and with Pierce seemingly missing a step).  If we traded Rondo... we'd have to get something very VERY substantial in return.  We've been grooming this kid to be the leader of Celtic Pride for the next decade.  He's had every possible mentor you could want for a future leader (Ainge, Doc, Cassell as point guards.. KG as a leader mentor, Ray as a professional... and Pierce as well).  He's helped lead us to a championship.   This team might be his next year with the way these playoffs went.  It might be going from "The Big 3" to "Rondo and the players formally known as the "Big 3"..."  Keeping him and Perk (who obviously did an amazing job at limiting Dwight) should be major major priorities.   If we have to pay Rondo "Max" money... we might want to just do it.  What's "Max money"?  14 mil a year?   His elderly sidekicks will be making 20 mil.

He finished the playoffs averaging 17.4 points, 10 rebounds, 9.8 assists and 2.5 steals which was good enough to be statistically the 7th best player in the playoffs.  The second best player for Boston was... Kendrick Perkins.   Pierce a close 3rd.   Maybe Rondo's trade value is at a high... but it almost makes more sense to be trading Pierce, Ray or KG right now.

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Is Rondo really going to be making the Max?  What team out there is going to be offering a contract near that, forcing the Celtics hands?

And if Rondo plays like a player that teams are going to offer that, shouldn't the Celtics keep him?  Would he be more valuable to them as a either a player or in a sign and trade to jumpstart the next Celtic team decade?

I just don't see the benifit of trading him now for another young player and draft picks. 

If Rondo has an identical year to this year, and next summer, when all of these teams have cap space with visions of Lebron, Bosh and Wade in their heads, realize that the market is fizzling because many of these players are staying where they are, I would be shocked if someone didn't throw close to max money at Rondo.

Just ask Rashard Lewis or Correy Maggette what happens when teams with cap space are left without the guy they actually want.

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

He finished the playoffs averaging 17.4 points, 10 rebounds, 9.8 assists and 2.5 steals which was good enough to be statistically the 7th best player in the playoffs.  The second best player for Boston was... Kendrick Perkins.   Pierce a close 3rd.   Maybe Rondo's trade value is at a high... but it almost makes more sense to be trading Pierce, Ray or KG right now.

I really think it doesn't make sense to trade ANY of our starters right now.  (Only exception being some ridiculous Gasol-like offer which I don't forsee)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team