Author Topic: Option after trading Rondo  (Read 11664 times)

Re: Option after trading Rondo
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still say the player at 2 they would take is Thabeet and if they trade Rondo they have to go MLE with either Miller, Bibby, or Kidd. Hopefully Miller. Also, hopefully, they can pry Conley out of the trade as the backup PG and then trade Scal and Tony and someone else to Sacramento for Nocioni.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If they did trade up to the #2 spot, I'd have no problem with Harden, at all. I like this kid a lot and think he can be a solid starter on this team in the future as well as being a solid sixth man to start off.  I'm not sold on Thabeet and I just don't see the C's trading for Conley and then spinning the #2 pick into Rubio. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I've got to think that if we got Conley and the #2 pick, we'd take Rubio and immediately put him at the backup.  Starbury would be gone.

I really can't see the C's taking Rubio.  I think if they made that trade, they would then use the #2 pick to get someone to help sure up another position of need, and then get a veteran PG through FA.  Or they could turn it into a 3-way deal, where they get another veteran, and trade down a bit.  

My guess is they would end up with someone like Harden, Evans, Henderson, or Blair.  Someone who could step in immediately and play minutes, but would still have some upside.

Rubio is just too much of a question-mark, and has too many holes in his game right now.  Not to mention, trading Rondo, really only makes sense if they are going to be strengthening 2 positions of need, rather than just getting two young PG's.

Now, if they got Gay or Mayo instead of Conley, that would be another story.  Then I could see them bring Rubio along behind a veteran PG, with Mayo or Gay solidifying the wing, and taking over for Ray next year...but I don't think Memphis would give either of those guys up along with the #2 for Rondo.

I think Conley is a viable starting point guard, and Rubio would fill a position of need, backup PG.  I don't think Danny would pass on the second best player in the draft simply to fill a more pressing need.

correctamundo, Roy.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
As for what Conley has "ever done", he averaged 14.5 points, 5.6 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 46.4% shooting, and 43.5% 3PT shooting (on 1.7 threes per game) after the all-star break last year.

NBA players across the league last year were ordering additional rounds of shots when they realized the Grizzlies were their opponent the follow day. Especially the 2nd half of the season when teams were mailing it in left and right.

Very big and strong... Blocks a lot of shots... Nice ballhandling and shooting skills for his size... A lot of promise... Has done little in the NBA so far... Will he ever get it? (hoopshype)

A true 7-footer with rare athleticism and mobility for a center. Flashes very nice hands and good overall instincts, also showing a strong competitive streak. Capable of running the floor like a small forward, and can be dominant as a shot-blocker (www2.sportsnet.ca)

I think Darko would is the type of player that would benefit from playing in the east and with KG. He's not a "in transition" player and would be better in the half court set. He might be too much of a project for the Celtics but he's only 23 and I'm not convinced he can't be a solid backup C in this league.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I've got to think that if we got Conley and the #2 pick, we'd take Rubio and immediately put him at the backup.  Starbury would be gone.

With the emergence of Marc Gasol as the starting Center last offseason, Darko Miličić could be expendable. What about Rondo, Baby ($3-$5 million) Tony, Giddens and Scal for the #2 and Darko?

This scenario slashes payroll a bit, fills your backup 5 role and leaves the MLE and LLE for the starting 1 and a backup 3 respectively.

Darko is a terrible player.  I wouldn't give up Tony and Scal for him, and I hate Tony.

Would you say he was a "terrible player" if he was a late 1st round pick? He plays with intensity, is a solid defender and would only improve in this system. He has all the tools you can ask a 7 footer to have and last season would have been a rookie has he went to College. What the heck has Mike Conley ever done?

Did you watch Memphis last year?  He didn't play with intensity, and he wasn't a solid defender.  He got 17 minutes per game on a team that needed size because, quite frankly, he sucks. 

As for what Conley has "ever done", he averaged 14.5 points, 5.6 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 46.4% shooting, and 43.5% 3PT shooting (on 1.7 threes per game) after the all-star break last year.

You clearly saw Memphis play more than I did but what I heard was that they traded away Lowery to get Conley more minutes because he hadn't been able to beat Lowery out and get the minutes on his own.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Replacing Rondo's off the charts intangibles and triple double potential (overrated or not no one was sneezing at Jason Kidd's triple doubles) is impossible, therefore if you're going to give him up you give him up for a PG who's an excellent shooter.  Being able to score from the outside is just about the only way (if you don't get Paul or Deron Williams) to make up for the loss of dynamism that Rondo brings.  That's why Conley is a possible fit, and DJ Augustin would be another potential fit.  Not saying Conley and Augustin are not good PG's as well as shooters, but in terms of playmaking Rondo is probably in another league from those guys, not to mention rebounding, IQ, etc...

So Danny IMO would definitely take Rubio, who has a chance to replace some of the dynamism you lost with Rondo, and Rubio would eventually (don't know when) take over the starting role, giving you a sharpshooter PG off the bench.  At the very worst you end with a decent-to-excellent trade asset down the road.

Bottom line, replacing Rondo (if Rubio can't start on day 1) is only really doable with an excellent shooter imo.

Danny wouldn't waste the #2 pick on any other prospect other than Rubio imo, unless Clifford Ray is drooling very persuasively to get his hands on Thabeet.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Actually the more I think about it I would do it (Rondo, TA, Scal, House, Giddens and Pruitt = #2 and Darko + signing Miller/Bibby/Kidd).

KG would turn this Darko into a monster, we save money and I think Darko could be our Birdman next season. And if he doesn't pan out we can use his $7 million dollar expiring come the last trading deadline before 2010.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Actually the more I think about it I would do it (Rondo, TA, Scal, House, Giddens and Pruitt = #2 and Darko).

KG would turn this guy into a monster, we save money and I think Darko could be our Birdman next season. And if he doesn't pan out we can use his $7 million dollar expiring come the trading deadline.

Darko sucks. He's had many opportunities to be that break out player and hasn't shown anything. He's about as good as Kwame Brown. I'd take Rondo anyday over Rubio. Rondo's only fault is his shooting, but isn't that Rubio's hangup as well? Second I wouldn't want a shoot first PG. That was Marbury's past issues. The best PGs are the pass first ones. JKidd has never been a good shooter but was one of the best PGs in the NBA.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I really can't see the C's taking Rubio.  I think if they made that trade, they would then use the #2 pick to get someone to help sure up another position of need, and then get a veteran PG through FA.  Or they could turn it into a 3-way deal, where they get another veteran, and trade down a bit.  

My guess is they would end up with someone like Harden, Evans, Henderson, or Blair.  Someone who could step in immediately and play minutes, but would still have some upside.

Rubio is just too much of a question-mark, and has too many holes in his game right now.  Not to mention, trading Rondo, really only makes sense if they are going to be strengthening 2 positions of need, rather than just getting two young PG's.

Now, if they got Gay or Mayo instead of Conley, that would be another story.  Then I could see them bring Rubio along behind a veteran PG, with Mayo or Gay solidifying the wing, and taking over for Ray next year...but I don't think Memphis would give either of those guys up along with the #2 for Rondo.

I would say that Harden, Evans, Henderson are more of question marks than Rubio. Rubio has been playing against fully grown men for a couple of years now...

we just haven't seen a lot of him here, but I'm sure Danny has.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

I really can't see the C's taking Rubio.  I think if they made that trade, they would then use the #2 pick to get someone to help sure up another position of need, and then get a veteran PG through FA.  Or they could turn it into a 3-way deal, where they get another veteran, and trade down a bit. 

My guess is they would end up with someone like Harden, Evans, Henderson, or Blair.  Someone who could step in immediately and play minutes, but would still have some upside.

Rubio is just too much of a question-mark, and has too many holes in his game right now.  Not to mention, trading Rondo, really only makes sense if they are going to be strengthening 2 positions of need, rather than just getting two young PG's.

Now, if they got Gay or Mayo instead of Conley, that would be another story.  Then I could see them bring Rubio along behind a veteran PG, with Mayo or Gay solidifying the wing, and taking over for Ray next year...but I don't think Memphis would give either of those guys up along with the #2 for Rondo.

I would say that Harden, Evans, Henderson are more of question marks than Rubio. Rubio has been playing against fully grown men for a couple of years now...

we just haven't seen a lot of him here, but I'm sure Danny has.

The only one who I wouldn't consider a question mark in this draft is Griffin and there's no way Clips are trading that pick. Best bet is to keep Rondo and focus on winning banner 18 making a few minimal changes.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Replacing Rondo's off the charts intangibles and triple double potential (overrated or not no one was sneezing at Jason Kidd's triple doubles) is impossible, therefore if you're going to give him up you give him up for a PG who's an excellent shooter.  Being able to score from the outside is just about the only way (if you don't get Paul or Deron Williams) to make up for the loss of dynamism that Rondo brings.  That's why Conley is a possible fit, and DJ Augustin would be another potential fit.  Not saying Conley and Augustin are not good PG's as well as shooters, but in terms of playmaking Rondo is probably in another league from those guys, not to mention rebounding, IQ, etc...

So Danny IMO would definitely take Rubio, who has a chance to replace some of the dynamism you lost with Rondo, and Rubio would eventually (don't know when) take over the starting role, giving you a sharpshooter PG off the bench.  At the very worst you end with a decent-to-excellent trade asset down the road.

Bottom line, replacing Rondo (if Rubio can't start on day 1) is only really doable with an excellent shooter imo.

Danny wouldn't waste the #2 pick on any other prospect other than Rubio imo, unless Clifford Ray is drooling very persuasively to get his hands on Thabeet.

Yes, I should amend to say the other option after trading Rondo would be the saavy veteran type (kidd, miller, etc..)  Not convinced they could do more than a budding young sharpshooter, however.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think Conley is a viable starting point guard, and Rubio would fill a position of need, backup PG.  I don't think Danny would pass on the second best player in the draft simply to fill a more pressing need.

I guess I am just starting to question whether Rubio really is the second best player in the draft.  After seeing the way Rondo was gameplanned out against the Magic, I am starting to sour on PG's who can't shoot...and Rubio also can't defend. 

And more importantly, I don't see much point of trading for Conley if you don't see him as your PG for the future.  If you are going to have Rubio groomed to be your future PG behind someone, I would much prefer it be a veteran, who could help lead them to a title this year.

So if they really like Rubio, and this was the deal on the table, it would make more sense to then try and turn Conley into someone who could be more helpful.  For example, maybe they could then swing him to Portland along with a couple other pieces, in a deal that brings back Outlaw and Blake.

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Rubio is not a good shooter but he is an excellent defender!!! Probably right now the best defensive PG in Europe (and he is only 18). I am sure Rubio will be all star someday but Celtics simply dont need him right now. Rondo is good enough for the Celtics winning the 18 championship

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trading Rondo would be insane.  The only reason you trade him is if privately he is saying there is no way he wants to stay in Boston. 

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I guess I am just starting to question whether Rubio really is the second best player in the draft.  After seeing the way Rondo was gameplanned out against the Magic, I am starting to sour on PG's who can't shoot...and Rubio also can't defend. 

And more importantly, I don't see much point of trading for Conley if you don't see him as your PG for the future.  If you are going to have Rubio groomed to be your future PG behind someone, I would much prefer it be a veteran, who could help lead them to a title this year.

So if they really like Rubio, and this was the deal on the table, it would make more sense to then try and turn Conley into someone who could be more helpful.  For example, maybe they could then swing him to Portland along with a couple other pieces, in a deal that brings back Outlaw and Blake.

I was also assuming Rubio would be a defensive liability and was then corrected by Cordobes, who said that defense would be Rubio's strength at the beginning, long before his offensive strengths come into play.  And GalizaClives (sorry) just seconded Cordobes regarding his defense.  Anyway, hearing about his defense is what sold me on taking a shot at landing him.