Author Topic: Option after trading Rondo  (Read 11615 times)

Option after trading Rondo
« on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:55 AM »

Offline lis

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Community of CelticsBlog Forum,

assuming danny ainge could sell chris wallace for rondo/2nd pick (plus incentive - Marko Jaric's contact?), how would danny fill the void when he is committed to spend his budget for big men and PP's backup.

i wonder if he is still consider stephon marbury as his option. while stephon has expressed willing to come back (and i think he's willing to sacrify salary for champion), i haven't heard anything from celtics.

the big question is, would stephon as starter be good enough to lead C's to banner 18?     

Re: Option after trading Rondo
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've got to think that if we got Conley and the #2 pick, we'd take Rubio and immediately put him at the backup.  Starbury would be gone.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I've got to think that if we got Conley and the #2 pick, we'd take Rubio and immediately put him at the backup.  Starbury would be gone.

With the emergence of Marc Gasol as the starting Center last offseason, Darko Miličić could be expendable. What about Rondo, Baby ($3-$5 million) Tony, Giddens and Scal for the #2 and Darko?

This scenario slashes payroll a bit, fills your backup 5 role and leaves the MLE and LLE for the starting 1 and a backup 3 respectively.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:12:29 AM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
With the emergence of Marc Gasol as the starting Center last offseason, Darko Miličić could be expendable. What about Rondo, Baby ($3-$5 million) Tony, Giddens and Scal for the #2 and Darko?

This scenario slashes payroll a bit, fills your backup 5 role and leaves the MLE and LLE for the starting 1 and 3 respectively.

Starting 3?????

Now the team lacks 3 backup players and by doing this solves one of the backup problems and forces Ainge to look for a starter too.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

This scenario slashes payroll a bit, fills your backup 5 role and leaves the MLE and LLE for the starting 1 and 3 respectively.

Starting 3?????

Now the team lacks 3 backup players and by doing this solves one of the backup problems and forces Ainge to look for a starter too.

Perk
                                   >Darko/Powe
KG

Pierce                            Grant Hill/Walker

Allen                              Walker
                                   >Rubio/House
Miller/Kidd/Bibby

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This trade makes no sense unless it fills the starting PG role it is vacating. 

A rookie PG does not fill that roll. 

Otherwise, the Celtics would then have to find a starting PG, a backup C and a backup SF with the MLE and LLE. 

Not a good situation for a team with title goals. 

Therefor, it can only make sense is if the Celtics are getting Conley, the 2nd and probably one other player that fills role off the bench.

At which point, I would question what the Celtics are trying to do.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I really can't see the C's taking Rubio.  I think if they made that trade, they would then use the #2 pick to get someone to help sure up another position of need, and then get a veteran PG through FA.  Or they could turn it into a 3-way deal, where they get another veteran, and trade down a bit.  

My guess is they would end up with someone like Harden, Evans, Henderson, or Blair.  Someone who could step in immediately and play minutes, but would still have some upside.

Rubio is just too much of a question-mark, and has too many holes in his game right now.  Not to mention, trading Rondo, really only makes sense if they are going to be strengthening 2 positions of need, rather than just getting two young PG's.

Now, if they got Gay or Mayo instead of Conley, that would be another story.  Then I could see them bring Rubio along behind a veteran PG, with Mayo or Gay solidifying the wing, and taking over for Ray next year...but I don't think Memphis would give either of those guys up along with the #2 for Rondo.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I really can't see the C's taking Rubio.  I think if they made that trade, they would then use the #2 pick to get someone to help sure up another position of need, and then get a veteran PG through FA.  Or they could turn it into a 3-way deal, where they get another veteran, and trade down a bit.  

My guess is they would end up with someone like Harden, Evans, Henderson, or Blair.  Someone who could step in immediately and play minutes, but would still have some upside.

Rubio is just too much of a question-mark, and has too many holes in his game right now.  Not to mention, trading Rondo, really only makes sense if they are going to be strengthening 2 positions of need, rather than just getting two young PG's.

Now, if they got Gay or Mayo instead of Conley, that would be another story.  Then I could see them bring Rubio along behind a veteran PG, with Mayo or Gay solidifying the wing, and taking over for Ray next year...but I don't think Memphis would give either of those guys up along with the #2 for Rondo.

Then the Celtics would have to make the trade.  Of course then it makes absolutley no sense for the Griz, therefor would be a good chance of it happening. 

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Therefor, it can only make sense is if the Celtics are getting Conley, the 2nd and probably one other player that fills role off the bench.

Well, if they get Conley and the #2, they could use the pick on Harden, who could come in immediately and be the first wing off the bench, eliminating that need.  And if they believe in Conley (who was very good down the stretch, despite playing on a terrible team), they could use the LLE (or a trade of expiring contracts) to get a backup PG, leaving them the MLE to solidify the front line (they also might be more willing to pay Davis if they don't have Rondo's extension hanging over them).  And if they don't trust Conley to run the show yet, they can throw the MLE at Miller, Bibby, or Kidd, and then resign Davis (and Powe), and try to sign a couple big men with the LLE and vet minimum (perhaps Joe Smith and Robert Swift).

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:39:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Otherwise, the Celtics would then have to find a starting PG, a backup C and a backup SF with the MLE and LLE. 

I agree, that's why a backup 5, the ability to shed payroll and sign Kidd/Miller/Bibby with the MLE all would need to be inline for this to make any form of sense.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

This scenario slashes payroll a bit, fills your backup 5 role and leaves the MLE and LLE for the starting 1 and a backup 3 respectively.

Darko is a terrible player.  I wouldn't give up Tony and Scal for him, and I hate Tony.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think Conley is a viable starting point guard, and Rubio would fill a position of need, backup PG.  I don't think Danny would pass on the second best player in the draft simply to fill a more pressing need.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I agree, that's why a backup 5, the ability to shed payroll and sign Kidd/Miller/Bibby with the MLE all would need to be inline for this to make any form of sense.

The only 5 I would want is Gasol.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Darko is a terrible player.  I wouldn't give up Tony and Scal for him, and I hate Tony.

Would you say he was a "terrible player" if he was a late 1st round pick? He plays with intensity, is a solid defender and would only improve in this system. He has all the tools you can ask a 7 footer to have and last season would have been a rookie has he went to College. What the heck has Mike Conley ever done?

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Would you say he was a "terrible player" if he was a late 1st round pick? He plays with intensity, is a solid defender and would only improve in this system. He has all the tools you can ask a 7 footer to have and last season would have been a rookie has he went to College. What the heck has Mike Conley ever done?

Did you watch Memphis last year?  He didn't play with intensity, and he wasn't a solid defender.  He got 17 minutes per game on a team that needed size because, quite frankly, he sucks. 

As for what Conley has "ever done", he averaged 14.5 points, 5.6 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 46.4% shooting, and 43.5% 3PT shooting (on 1.7 threes per game) after the all-star break last year.