Author Topic: Goodbye Ronaldo  (Read 17689 times)

Re: Goodbye Ronaldo
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
That´s exactly why every football fan with any dignity left should root against Real.
I hate how they´re able to get almost any player they want, even if they have a fiscally irresponsible management.

Play by the rules, *******.

I have been doing so for the last 28 years so it wont be difficult to me :D
Real Madrid are assembling an excellent team but it is still to be seen what they will get from that. Keep in mind that the "Galacticos" won "only" two Spanish leagues and 1 Champions League (plus "minor" throphys like the Intercontinetal Cup, the European Supercup...). Of course, it is not bad but for instance the previous Real Madrid team with Mijatovic, Redondo, Suker... won more than that (2 Champions Leagues, for instance). Barça has also won more than that in the last years (2CL, 3 Spanish leagues...) and the same MU and other teams.
Florentino was a good president for marketing but not that good in terms of trophys.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I am so baffled.
Very excited to see some new players get to ManU and pick up where Ronaldo left off. Something good will come out of all of that money.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wayne Rooney is about to have the best season of his career.

He'll be given a more central role and a lot more freedom to be the creator ... instead of being the guy who has to fill the holes in the team.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Not to mention that it´s irresponsible to depend on an investor as your president to satisfy the completely exaggerated claims of their fans.
Like Chelsea and Ambramovich ?
Like Milan and Berlusconi?
Like Juventus and Agnelis?
Like Man City and the Arabs?

Good job listing all my least favorite teams.  :P

Real has more than 50.000 orders for Kaka`s kit And they haven`t even decided next years kits! When they spend an also ridiculous (but lower) amount on Beckham they covered it in 5 months. I mean they have their way of covering their expenses.
That`s one answer to your question where the money comes from. But i can`t deny the fact that football is a nice way to do some "laundry". But this is also true for many other teams that spent less.....   

I`m fully aware of the possibilities, but every team who buys Kaka or Ronaldo can expect an increase in kit orders. And I think these guys are fully aware of it, too, so I don`t know if I can believe that Real is able to 100% cover the costs of these transfers through (increased) marketing. I mean, those things are part of the contract negotiation, no? Any superstar (and their agent) know they can demand more money because of their marketing value alone.
50.000 kit orders, what`s that? I estimate €10.000.000 at most, not even close to Kaka`s salary. If another team buys Ronaldo, what increase can they expect in marketing revenue?

So why is Real able to pay ~100 million for one player, and Milan or ManCity aren`t?
And even if I believe that they`re able to pull off such a deal, how come they can do two of them in one summer? And they`re not finished, yet.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The way the forums are swaying I thought this was a Goodbye RONDO thread  ::) .
Yup

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Money is useless if it can't buy you a replacement.

Man Utd can't replace Ronaldo. Very bad decision to let him go.

If they take the money and get Ribery and one of Eto'o/Ibrahimovic/Tevez, then that's an even better side then with CR. Quite simply, Real made them an offer they couldn't refuse, and it's sickening to me to watch Madrid operate like this. Same with the Yankees. There's no rule they are breaking, but it's still nauseating to me. 
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The way the forums are swaying I thought this was a Goodbye RONDO thread  ::) .

LOL

So why is Real able to pay ~100 million for one player, and Milan or ManCity aren`t?
And even if I believe that they`re able to pull off such a deal, how come they can do two of them in one summer? And they`re not finished, yet.

ManC can but nobody wants to play for them. Remember the winter offer for Kaka? Just because Milan or Inter or MU haven`t spent this kind of money doesn`t necessarily mean that they can`t It means that they don`t want to. And possibly they can`t , true, but every top team has a list of awfuly expensive and completely useless transfers.  

And it`s not one player. Real bought on of the top 5 players in the world. Nine moths ago MU spent 45mil for Berbatov. I mean... HELLLOOOOOOOO 45m for Berbatov??? That`s more ridiculus than CR`s 94m.

20 years ago Milan bought someone called Gianluigi Lentini (anyone remembers him ??He is still playing for a 4rth division team for 2500e per month) for ,what is today, 20mil todays euro.

40 years ago Barcelona signed Kruuif for 1m usd A record fee.

Always the record transfer will cause discussions like this because someone decided that it worths the risk to boldy spend what noone has ever spent before ;-)

the 50.000 was till yesterday evening. It won`t be just 50.000. Will marketing cover the total cost for this season's transfers? I think in the biggest part. Keep in mind that CR will bring money next season too. And any of the next 6 seasons. But i if i can understand what you imply i won`t argue about it. I`ve already said the pro football is a great way to "clean" money. Not just Real. Shahtar`s (sp?) Ahmetov what do you think is doing?

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

If they take the money and get Ribery and one of Eto'o/Ibrahimovic/Tevez, then that's an even better side then with CR. Quite simply, Real made them an offer they couldn't refuse, and it's sickening to me to watch Madrid operate like this. Same with the Yankees. There's no rule they are breaking, but it's still nauseating to me. 
If you think they can replace Ronaldo with that money, then it's a fine decision to let him go.

I don't think they can. I don't think they can get Ribery.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Red sox do the same thing, I've come to terms with being a rich city.

I don't mind what real did here, if you have the money, spend it if you care to.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

I don't mind what real did here, if you have the money, spend it if you care to.

The Red Sox have never done anything like this. Kaka and Ronaldo in a week for $92 and $131 million? The Sox can spend in free agency higher then standard market teams, but not like this. This is Yankee, "$400 million for three players in a recession" territory.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline cmbvale

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
Ribery said last week that he doesn't leave Bayern to play in England, only for Spain or Italy.

I'm pretty sure that after these 2 signings and their huge salaries there will be a few unsatisfied players in Madrid.

Perez already tried these kind of stuff once and the results weren't that good.
Some want to be like Mike, i wanted to be like Ryan.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wayne Rooney is about to have the best season of his career.

He'll be given a more central role and a lot more freedom to be the creator ... instead of being the guy who has to fill the holes in the team.

if he can keep himself under control and not get red carded.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The only player who is semi-available that will be able to replace Ronaldo is Ribery, but I see no chance of Ribery choosing Man U over Barcelona.  It'll be interesting to see who else is available.
do it

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

With that money, players can be brought in. The team United have is a good team without Ronaldo. And if we bring in the right people then we will be the same great team we've been.

What I will say is this. When we needed a goal, there was one player you could almost always count on to score it, that was Ronaldo. Someone else will have to step into that role (Berbatov is my tip) and we will need to bring in someone to create.

I would like Rafael van der Vaart, David Silva and Franck Ribery, along with Carlos Tevez on a permanent deal. If no Tevez then Karim Benzema or Samuel Eto'o or Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I think United are now big players in the transfer market. This summer just got very interesting.

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The Red Sox have never done anything like this. Kaka and Ronaldo in a week for $92 and $131 million? The Sox can spend in free agency higher then standard market teams, but not like this. This is Yankee, "$400 million for three players in a recession" territory.

right, because the baseball economy doesn't support that kind of spending.

But you used the yankee's in your analogy, and the red sox and yankees operate the exact same way on a smaller scale.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion