Poll

Would you do this trade if you were Danny Ainge?

Yes
22 (50%)
No
22 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Chris Paul in Green???  (Read 12688 times)

Chris Paul in Green???
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:12:35 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mr5rzv

Bos sends: Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins , Ray Allen, TA and Scal
NO  sends: Chris Paul, Tyson Chandler,James Posey, Rasul Butler

Maybe not this exact trade, but something very close to it could be agreed upon

Why for Boston:

1) Chris Paul

Boston is clearly getting the best player in the trade back and a top 5 Player in the league talents back. He is as good, if not better than Rondo on defense and is much further advanced on offense than Rondo is at this point in their careers. Paul was 1st team all defense last season and averaged nearly 3 steals per game. He has the ability to score at will and will make the most amazing passes you will ever see. He is only going to continue to get better. Probably the best PG in the NBA since John Stockton.

2) Tyson Chandler

If were are going to get a Top 5 talent in the NBA , it is going to come with a risk. Tyson Chandler recently had ankle surgery in the past few weeks and according to Byron  Scott it was worse than it was thought to be

"He had the ankle surgery, and they said it was a lot worse off than they thought when they went in there," Scott said. "They also went in there and cleaned the toe up a little more. He's feeling really good. He was excited about the surgery and couldn't wait to get back on the basketball court, and he really feels this is going to give him the agility and the movement that he had a few years ago, so he can get back to playing like his old self."

Chandler is owed 12 MIL in 09-10 and 13MIL in 2010-11 so it is not a long term contract. If he does however fully recover he would be the perfect fit in the Celtics defense. He is a terrific shot blocker and pick and roll defender.

3) Posey + Butler

While they aren't Ray Allen, they can help win us a championship. Posey brings the leadership back to a Celtics bench that sorely missed him last year , but more importantly he allows PP and KG to get some rest as he can play the SF and PF position.

Butler is a very underrated and solid starting shooting guard in the NBA. He has the athletic ability to stay with his man on defense and is a solid outside shooter and role player.

4) Free agents

After doing this trade we would still need to pick up a backup Vet PG and a Vet C who has the ability to start in case Tyson Chandlers injuries hinder him. I personally would want to add Zaza Pachulia , Marcin Gortat or Rasha Nesterovic  for the MLE. Then use the VET MIN on Anthony Carter and we will be good to go

2009-10 Boston Celtics Roster

PG: Paul       / Carter (Vet Min)
SG: Butler     / Walker     / House
SF: PP         / Posey       /Waler
PF: KG         / BBD  or McDyess(LLE)  / Powe(IR)
 C:  Chandler / Zaza or Gortat or Nesterovic         

Why for the Hornets

It is no secret that the New Orleans Hornets are in financial trouble. They tried to sell off Tyson Chandler last year for expiring contracts and seems are pretty desperate to cut payroll. This is probably the best package they are going to get that well extremely help their Cap situation and get them  really close if not equal talent back.

1)  Rondo

Does pretty much everything Paul can do, but doesn't have the same ability to shoot or score at will like Chris Paul does . He does however have plenty of time to develop (only 22 years old) and  that development could come quicker in New Orleans where he would be the  2nd  or 3rd option on offense with David West and Ray Allen. Starting next season Chris Paul will be owed 63.6 MIL for the next 4 years . At most Rondo is going to be making 10-12 mil a year so they are going to save money at the PG position. Rondo also has something Chris Paul doesn't yet , a championship ring.

2)Kendrick Perkins
They are also getting a proven NBA C in Kendrick Perkins. Chandler and Perkins both have 2 years remaining on their contracts ,however, Perkins is making 8 mil less in the 1st year , and 9 MIL less in the 2nd year of the contract = 17 MIL saved over the next 2 years at starting C with the same if not better production.. Just like Rondo he comes with championship experience

3) Ray Allen
Ray ,while getting older is still a really good player. You can pen him in for 20 PPG and 40%+ shooting from three . He would be a leader on the court for the new hornets and allow them to be contenders in the west next year. But the biggest reason is he has 20 mil from the New Orleans payroll after the 09 season,

4) Tony and Scal

They are thrown in for salary reasons as they are an additional 5 mil in expiring contracts

Hornets Roster 2009 - 2010
PG: Rondo                /     Antonio Daniels
SG: Ray Allen           /    Morris Peterson
SF: Julian Wright       /    Peja Stojacovic
PF: David West         /    VET FA
 C: Kendrick Perkins  /   Hilton Armstrong

Overview:
This trade drastically changes the Hornets financial troubles. It will give them 24 mil in expiring contracts. They are getting and All defensive PG and C for the next 10+ years and Rondo is a jump shot away from being a franchise player. As long as they dont make any long term signings this offseason , this trade also will give the Hornets the ability to resign Rondo for 10 mil a year and have about 13 - 16 MIL in cap space to try and add a free agent in 2010. While that may not be enough cap space to land the biggest fish Lebron it will be plenty to sign one of

Rip Hamilton
Joe Johnson
Manu Ginobali
Tracey McGrady(if healthy)

add one of them to the Hornets roster and talk Ray to coming back for the MLE then you have the makings of a championship team

2010-11 Possible Hornets Roster

PG: Rondo                        /     VET FA
SG: Ray Allen                    /    Morris Peterson
SF: Joe Johnson or other UFA     /    Peja Stojacovic
PF: David West                   /    VET FA
 C: Kendrick Perkins             /   VET FA
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:23:28 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Chris Paul in Green???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:13:57 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Paul for Rondo is an important upgrade no argue but i don`t know who is the better fit for Cs

but the rest .... I don`t think so.

Your proposal breaks apart a succesfull team that needs to win  now for a back up sf in a price that Cs didn`t want last summer and and a top2 pg in the place of a top5 pg.

I don`t think it worths the risk

And besides as a general note .... If it ain`t broken , why try to fix it ?

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:25:08 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Basically, the Celtics become the Boston Hornets with KG and Paul Pierce.  How about...no.

Sure Chris Paul is better but we'd get a big downgrade at the 2 and I'll take Perkleton over Chandler any day...more consistency, greater future potential, and fewer injury concerns.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
well you could do rondo, allen and moore for paul, chandler and posey, which i think is a better alternative.

that way you could still keep perkins.

it all depends on how desperate new orleans is to save money.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd do it because Chris Paul could be a future MVP.

I say you take him - because you'll be a play off team for as long as you can keep him under contract. I dont think you can say that with any other player on either team. KG/PP are getting old.

I dont like Chandler though... and I would want to find a way to do that trade and keep Perkins, but that's probably impossible.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »

Offline Roy Janteen

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
The only way I'm doing a rondo + ray trade with NO, is if I'm getting Paul and David West, which seems unlikely.  But if the windo is like 2 or 3 years anyway I'd rather do it with rondo and ray than just cp3
Just when you think they've got the answers....

I change the questions.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
No.  Can't give up Perk.  He's our only chance against Dwight Howard.  And possibly Bynum.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I love this trade. Good thinking. Just don't know if New Orleans would part with Chris Paul. CP3 is at the top of my wish list. There's a good chance that he is untouchable even with the financial issues they have down there in Nawlins.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:20 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I love this trade. Good thinking. Just don't know if New Orleans would part with Chris Paul. CP3 is at the top of my wish list. There's a good chance that he is untouchable even with the financial issues they have down there in Nawlins.

Yea I don't see New Orleans trading CP3. He's the face of that franchise. Anyone else on that team I could see them moving.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
You absolutely do this deal, assuming you are confident you can resign CP3 when his contract comes up.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
sorry, but Perk is untouchable IMO.

He's a top 5 Center in this league
Amongst the top 5 he's clearly got the best contract in terms of value
He's a southern kid who will stay loyal to a franchise which invested in him
He's the last guy in the NBA I'd want to encounter in the cliche "dark alley"
Oh, and he makes Dwight Howard dissapear.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
The way I see it is you are trading away 3 bonified starters for 1 and a half. not worth it...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Everyone knows how I feel about PG's and their constant overvaluing, but the difference between CP3 and Rondo is so large you have to do this trade.  Ray Allen is aging and Chandler and Perkins are very similar.  Sure Perk has a better contract is a bit younger, but their games are virtually the same.  C's can find a competant SG on the open market to play with Paul, Pierce, and Posey and the interior really isn't any worse off. 

This is a clear no brainer for the C's, which is why the Hornets won't do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
sorry, but Perk is untouchable IMO.

He's a top 5 Center in this league
Amongst the top 5 he's clearly got the best contract in terms of value
He's a southern kid who will stay loyal to a franchise which invested in him
He's the last guy in the NBA I'd want to encounter in the cliche "dark alley"
Oh, and he makes Dwight Howard dissapear.
Top 5?

Howard, Yao, Bogut (when healthy), Tim Duncan, Al Jefferson, and Joel Pyrzbilla all come to mind are better overall players. You could put others at his overall level too.

Now Perk is a top 3 defensive center in the league, but he still needs to become more consistent on the offensive end. He still misses too many passes and dunks. His low post moves have improved a ton though!

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The way I see it is you are trading away 3 bonified starters for 1 and a half. not worth it...
When you can add a young franchise player like CP3 you do it. Rondo has the potential to become a close second to CP3 as a PG, but he's not there yet and may never get there. So you make this trade.