Author Topic: David Thorpe Chat/Second pick trade with Rondo  (Read 12806 times)

David Thorpe Chat/Second pick trade with Rondo
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
Update from his chat FWIW:

Todd Doug (St. Charles)
I'm truly puzzled by this. Why would Ainge trade up to get Rubio? They already have one of the best PG's in the leauge.

David Thorpe
If they move him then clearly it's a chemistry issue.

Interesting, but it's just his opinion.  Still think it's a horrible idea to trade Rondo in this scenario.

Re: David Thorpe Chat/Second pick trade with Rondo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Chemistry and/or ability to negotiate a reasonable extension. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:20:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Chemistry and/or ability to negotiate a reasonable extension

ding! ding! ding!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I think that's well tread territory on this board. IF the trade were to happen, chemistry and the impending extension would be the likeliest reasons. I don't think there's much of a question about that. (I see nothing in Thorpe's response to indicate there is a chemistry problem - not that he'd have access to that information, he's a complete non-party - or that the trade is likely or even possible.)
Go Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
What does thrope even think he knows about this anyways? He knows nah-sing.

My take on this, if it did happen:

A) I hope we get more than just Rubio back. And I hope they're a proven commodity. We've got too many holes and Rubio is too much of a chance and Rondo is too good a proven talent for it all to hinge on him.

B) I will miss Rondo a lot. A very very lot. Like I missed Big Al. But I will get over it, and probably just keep him on my NBA 2k10 team. 

C) We will all be so excited to see Rubio play by preseason that we'll be constipated for weeks. We won't even remember Rondo's name because of the anticipation. We will hype him so much Nike will force him to tattoo "Chosen One" in spanish on his back. In short, we'll all move on pretty quick.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I don't know, I might have to sharpen the pitchfork if we trade Rondo for anyone not named Chris Paul
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
What does thrope even think he knows about this anyways? He knows nah-sing.

My take on this, if it did happen:

A) I hope we get more than just Rubio back. And I hope they're a proven commodity. We've got too many holes and Rubio is too much of a chance and Rondo is too good a proven talent for it all to hinge on him.

B) I will miss Rondo a lot. A very very lot. Like I missed Big Al. But I will get over it, and probably just keep him on my NBA 2k10 team. 

C) We will all be so excited to see Rubio play by preseason that we'll be constipated for weeks. We won't even remember Rondo's name because of the anticipation. We will hype him so much Nike will force him to tattoo "Chosen One" in spanish on his back. In short, we'll all move on pretty quick.

I'm not sure i'd  be super excited about rubio missing defensive rotations and having his slow as molasses jump shot slammed back into his face by NBA journeymen.

I think rubio has all the skills to be a good to great player in this league, but i think he has a lot of development to go through, largely on the defensive end. The kid is 18 and has never played NBA ball.

these reports playing him up as the demi-god of point guards world wide at 18 are overblown.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That is my problem with this trade. We're good enough to win now, can we really afford to trade our near all-star PG for someone who might or might not be a better player down the road?

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Trading Rondo at this point in time because you're worried about his extension is a deal that only Rick Pitino could love. You take a big talent hit for the long term gain and it's far from a given that Rubio will turn out to be more talented than Rondo in the long run.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 02:09:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Trading Rondo at this point in time because you're worried about his extension is a deal that only Rick Pitino could love. You take a big talent hit for the long term gain and it's far from a given that Rubio will turn out to be more talented than Rondo in the long run.

I tend to agree.  *If* the Celts moved Rondo, though, I think it would be because of both contractual and personality issues; I doubt it would be solely due to him asking for too much money.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't know, I might have to sharpen the pitchfork if we trade Rondo for anyone not named Chris Paul

But would you give him Chris Paul's contract? That's the key issue. People seem to be unwilling to give him up for anything but an elite player but then when it comes to salary, he's in Jose Calderon/Kirk Hinrich territory. He'd have to agree to one hell of a hometown discount for that to happen IMO.
The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76

But would you give him Chris Paul's contract? That's the key issue. People seem to be unwilling to give him up for anything but an elite player but then when it comes to salary, he's in Jose Calderon/Kirk Hinrich territory. He'd have to agree to one hell of a hometown discount for that to happen IMO.

The whole salary thing is a matter of perspective. I find it interesting that no one was complaining about Rondo's salary when we were paying him less than Tony Allen. But then we balk at the possibility that Rondo could want half the amount that Paul Pierce makes, even though Rondo is arguably as valuable (or maybe more valuable) to the team...

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The whole salary thing is a matter of perspective. I find it interesting that no one was complaining about Rondo's salary when we were paying him less than Tony Allen. But then we balk at the possibility that Rondo could want half the amount that Paul Pierce makes, even though Rondo is arguably as valuable (or maybe more valuable) to the team...

The preservative boils down to two things. consistency and the ability to shoot a jump shot when open.

Rajon has shown neither of those, paul has. 8 per is fine, more is not.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I don't have a problem paying him Calderon/Hinrich money and even a little more than that

he doesn't necessarily deserve Chris Bosh money right about now and I don't think he'll ask for that either
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't have a problem paying him Calderon/Hinrich money and even a little more than that

he doesn't necessarily deserve Chris Bosh money right about now and I don't think he'll ask for that either

The question is: would you give him Chris Paul money? If CP# is the kind of value that you think you should be getting back in a trade for Rondo, would you also be willing to pay Rondo the same salary?

Would you sign him for 6 years, 72 million? Deng and Okafor got that and I wouldn't be stunned if someone offered it to Rondo in 2010.

My point above is that there's a disconnect when discussing trade value and then salary offers that seems very strange to me.
The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com