Author Topic: Thabeet with Clifford and Thibs...Hmmm  (Read 2097 times)

Thabeet with Clifford and Thibs...Hmmm
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
It has been speculated that the C's are possibly looking for a move to #2 in the draft to do one of two things...get another PG in Rubio or go for the big man Thabeet.  I just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks.

Hypothetically, if this trade did happen, regardless of all other hypotheticals like who we'd be giving up to do it, what do you think the 7'3" big man's progress would be like in the first year after working with Clifford and Thibs?

Obviously this guy has a raw game, particularly on offense and defending away from the basket.  These two weaknesses happen to be two of the key things Clifford and Thibs know how to teach best.  Also, don't forget the learning he'd get from Perk and KG at this point.

Just thinking out loud and hoping a few of you will do the same.   And please no one compare his potential to Hakeem as in another thread.  Let's be realistic.   ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:26:25 PM by RAcker »

Re: Thabeet with Clifford and Thibs...Hmmm
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
It all depends on how much work he's willing to put in. If Thabeet puts in the work he could be Perk's backup from day 1. Okay maybe not day 1, but at least halfway through the season. His lack of offensive polish isn't an issue because that's not what we would ask of him. All Thabeet would have to do is play defense, rebound, catch, and finish.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well we would probably have to trade a pretty good player to get to number 2. For Thabeet? Uggh. I have to admit the idea makes me a little sick..

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Well we would probably have to trade a pretty good player to get to number 2. For Thabeet? Uggh. I have to admit the idea makes me a little sick..
Me too, but that is why I said to throw out (if that's possible) the question of who we gave up to get him.  What I'm saying is, put him in a gym with Clifford and Thibs working everyday for a full season and how well does this guy develop?

I know they are not miracle workers as Patty O'Bryant proved, but when you look at Big Al and Perk and Leon and Baby, they are obviously doing something right. 

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think if we were a rebuilding team, then he might be interesting to look at as a project big man.  But I think he is still a couple years away from being a productive player in a system like the C's.  He is too weak, and does not understand the game enough yet. 

As far as I am concerned, the only two players at the top of the draft who make sense for the C's are Griffin and Harden.  Both of them are ready to contribute right away, but also have the upsides to be potential stars.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
I think if we were a rebuilding team, then he might be interesting to look at as a project big man.  But I think he is still a couple years away from being a productive player in a system like the C's.  He is too weak, and does not understand the game enough yet. 

As far as I am concerned, the only two players at the top of the draft who make sense for the C's are Griffin and Harden.  Both of them are ready to contribute right away, but also have the upsides to be potential stars.
And I take it that Harden is an option to spell Paul right?  I guess Griffin could do that to some degree, but he is nothing but a 4 to me.  I love that we at least have options.  Isn't life good now (if we are healthy)?