Author Topic: with all the mess in PHX, will Robert Sarver get this desperate?  (Read 6356 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l5xlb8

obviously we've had a lot of PHX ideas floating around, most of which make zero sense for the Cs. if Amare's healthy enough, this is a trade that could make sense for both teams -- a pick or two, or Billy Walker, would likely need to be included by the Cs.

the deal saves them $3mil this year, and rids them of Richardson's robust contract. this sets PHX up with emormous flexibility at the end of this coming season, and they're staring down the barrel of rebuilding like no franchise in the NBA. 

while i fear his game has become too jumpshot-oriented, Richardson IS a deadly shooter. he certainly replaces much of what Ray would leave vacant. in terms of Amare -- not sure exactly what we do with the guy. Basically, he, KG and Perk end up in the greatest big man rotation since Parrish, McHale and Walton.

with Amare lobbying to get outta town, and PHX's financials very tenuous, is this a possibility?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:14:17 PM by Redz »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: with all the mess in PHX, will Robert Sarver get this desparate?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Most interesting thing about this to me is that Hollinger's analysis has us winning only 54 or 55 games next year. Really?

And by the way, no, Phoenix would not get that desperate. Amare's not demanding a trade, and even if he did, Phoenix wouldn't give him up for zero potential starters for the future (by the way, at this point, Tony Allen, Bill Walker and late first round picks don't count as potential starters).
Go Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Most interesting thing about this to me is that Hollinger's analysis has us winning only 54 or 55 games next year. Really?

And by the way, no, Phoenix would not get that desperate. Amare's not demanding a trade, and even if he did, Phoenix wouldn't give him up for zero potential starters for the future (by the way, at this point, Tony Allen, Bill Walker and late first round picks don't count as potential starters).

Tony Allen is just salary fill. Bill Walker could very well be an NBA starter in the coming years -- no doubt he's a very intreguing prospect for any rebuilding team. 

Amare can opt out at the end of this year -- guess what the Suns are getting for him right around now? not much. Getting rid of Richardson's deal with him would would a coo in and of itself.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
it's not too insane if you believe that the Suns want to go after bosh next year and want to rebuild.  And then we can probably sign Steve Nash after he demands a buyout due to the fact his team stinks... We'll need Nash after we trade Rondo for that bust Ricky Rubio.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
it's not too insane if you believe that the Suns want to go after bosh next year and want to rebuild.  And then we can probably sign Steve Nash after he demands a buyout due to the fact his team stinks... We'll need Nash after we trade Rondo for that bust Ricky Rubio.

Steve Nash = two words: washed up.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

I believe the Suns have a team option on Nash for $13 Million. Couldn't they just not pick that up, Sign a PG for the MLE and BAM Financial situation solved?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Amare will stay in Phoenix, it's Shaq that will probably be dealt soon.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
Tony Allen is just salary fill. Bill Walker could very well be an NBA starter in the coming years -- no doubt he's a very intreguing prospect for any rebuilding team. 

I'm hopeful that Bill Walker can contribute to our team in the next few years based on the few and brief flashes he's shown, but the idea that he has trade value is laughable. He hasn't done anything to show he's better than a mid-second round pick (which is what he was), and he has a longer history of knee injuries than of playing competitive basketball.

The biggest shortcoming of Celtics fans (and I certainly fall into it as well) is that anything green in uniform and age is viewed as "a very intriguing prospect." It's the same reason someone recently said they wouldn't give up Rondo for Deron Williams or Brandon Roy.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
Amare will stay in Phoenix, it's Shaq that will probably be dealt soon.
I don't think many teams will take Shaq due to his enormous contract.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
shaq's contract is expiring. he'll be traded to dallas or cleveland.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I'm hopeful that Bill Walker can contribute to our team in the next few years based on the few and brief flashes he's shown, but the idea that he has trade value is laughable. He hasn't done anything to show he's better than a mid-second round pick (which is what he was), and he has a longer history of knee injuries than of playing competitive basketball.

The biggest shortcoming of Celtics fans (and I certainly fall into it as well) is that anything green in uniform and age is viewed as "a very intriguing prospect." It's the same reason someone recently said they wouldn't give up Rondo for Deron Williams or Brandon Roy.

it's not laughable. he hasn't "built" trade value because he hasn't played. but if you think GMs around the league wouldn't like to their hands on him at his price / contract with his upside, you're not really paying much attention to the game of basketball.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I believe the Suns have a team option on Nash for $13 Million. Couldn't they just not pick that up, Sign a PG for the MLE and BAM Financial situation solved?

I think in all likelihood the Suns don't pick it up, probably mostly by mutual consent (though Nash isn't getting $13M anywhere else).  Look for them to draft a PG, most likely Flynn or Lawson, with the 14th pick, and Nash tries to latch on with a contender somewhere for one last crack at a title.

Re: with all the mess in PHX, will Robert Sarver get this desperate?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

. in terms of Amare -- not sure exactly what we do with the guy. Basically, he, KG and Perk end up in the greatest big man rotation since Parrish, McHale and Walton.

[/quote]

Mchale, Parrish and Walton are three hall of famers. Perk, KG, and Amare would be one hall of famer, an All Star, and a very good defensive center. Maybe if you put Perk's D and Amare's O into one player, you'd start to have a Hall of Fame big man.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton

it's not laughable. he hasn't "built" trade value because he hasn't played. but if you think GMs around the league wouldn't like to their hands on him at his price / contract with his upside, you're not really paying much attention to the game of basketball.

Yes, it is. It's laughable. I'm not disparaging your ability to watch basketball in what I'm saying, I'm just saying that you, like me and many others often do, are placing too much stock in a player simply because he's young and in Boston.

I'm paying plenty of attention to the game of basketball (anybody on this message board is paying plenty of, and probably too much, attention). Bill Walker showed very little last season. When this season starts, he'll be a 22-year old small forward with decent size and good strength, no discernible ballhandling skills, frequent mental lapses on both ends of the court, no apparent outside shot, and great athleticism but a history of major knee injuries longer than his on-court resume.

He has some potential, that is certainly true, based mostly on his athleticism. But he had the same potential last season and lasted until the 47th pick in the draft. Any team - any team whatsoever - could have had him for the same Boston paid for him. And nothing's changed since then. Like I said, I hope he can contribute as an 8th or 9th man to this team in the next two seasons, and I have the optimistic hope that he can become a very good bench contributor with athleticism and defense next season. And if his shot develops, he becomes much better defensively and his knees stay healthy he could be a solid starting SF post-Pierce. But those are big ifs, and it is absolutely unrealistic to think he's enough of a trade chip to get you a 27 year old All-NBA caliber big man (and I don't even like Amare).
Go Celtics.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Of which analysis are you speaking?  I'm interested.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers