Author Topic: C's interested in acquiring the second pick?  (Read 60850 times)

Re: Rubio is the real deal... but don't trade Ray Ray
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I"m nervous about losing Perkins. Didn't Memphis draft him originally?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I"m nervous about losing Perkins. Didn't Memphis draft him originally?

Technically, yes, but it was a prearranged deal.  Although Chris Wallace was with the C's at the time, so there is a connection.

Re: C's interested in aquiring the second pick?
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Memphis is one of the few places where we could do a sign and trade with Davis. They're WAY under the cap next season.

Why would they trade for BBD - when they can just sign him? Makes no sense!

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Also, hasn't Conley sucked? Maybe I missed a late season surge but I thought he was looking a lot like a bust.

Conley was solid last season and really improved his three point shot. Put him alongside The Big Three and I think he'll be able to, at least, maintain the type of performance that Rondo gave us in 2007-8.
The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2009, 01:44:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Also, hasn't Conley sucked? Maybe I missed a late season surge but I thought he was looking a lot like a bust.

Conley was solid last season and really improved his three point shot. Put him alongside The Big Three and I think he'll be able to, at least, maintain the type of performance that Rondo gave us in 2007-8.

The big three will all be 2 years older than they were in 07-08 and other teams have improved. Rondo's contribution from 07-08 probably won't be enough next year.

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:35 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I would be open to dealing Perkins because his shoulder is a big concern to me.

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I would be open to dealing Perkins because his shoulder is a big concern to me.

Not having Perk on the team is a big concern as well.

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
To get the second pick, we'd have to trade Rondo.  That's the only deal I see making sense for Memphis.  Memphis is way under the cap, and doesn't need economic relief.

Roy,

Do they really need ANOTHER PG?

They could use a good one.  Conley is really far away from good, if he is ever going to get there at all.

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
First time post, felt that I needed to put this out there.  3-way trade with Memphis and Miami.

Boston receives
2nd overall pick

Miami receives
Rajon Rondo ($2.6 million)

Memphis receives
Michael Beasley ($4.6 million)

Boston replaces Rondo with the cheaper and younger Rubio.  All of the talk about Rondo's extension, showing up late to playoff games, stubborn and moody attitude, etc... goes away and Rubio earns the Rookie Scale, saving the Celtics over the life of the deal.  Boston is taking back no salaries, so it works under the cap rules.

Miami is able to dump Beasley, which they are thought to be interested in doing, because of his poor work ethic, off-court issues, and aversion to defense while picking up the starting point guard and backcourt mate for Wade that they seek.  Rondo would fit very well into a defense that asks guards to be aggressive for steals and an offense that needs some punch besides Wade.  Riley never was too excited about Beasley and Chalmers is a good backup and has been in trouble a bit himself.  Miami is taking back $2 million less in salary, so it works under the cap rules.

Memphis picks up a better prospect that it would otherwise, as their glut of ballhandlers would prevent them from picking Rubio.  They get the #2 pick from a  stronger draft and with a year of experience.  It also gives them the blue chip big that they desperately need and were said to have coveted a year ago.  Memphis is under the salary cap, so it works under the cap rules.

Lineups:

Boston
Ricky Rubio
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Kendrick Perkins

Miami
Rajon Rondo
Dwayne Wade
Jamario Moon
Udonis Haslem
Jermaine O'Neal

Memphis
Mike Conley
O.J. Mayo
Rudy Gay
Michael Beasley
Marc Gasol

I think all three teams improve on the court, financially, etc.. and should jump at this deal.

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
First time post, felt that I needed to put this out there.  3-way trade with Memphis and Miami.

Boston receives
2nd overall pick

Miami receives
Rajon Rondo ($2.6 million)

Memphis receives
Michael Beasley ($4.6 million)

Boston replaces Rondo with the cheaper and younger Rubio.  All of the talk about Rondo's extension, showing up late to playoff games, stubborn and moody attitude, etc... goes away and Rubio earns the Rookie Scale, saving the Celtics over the life of the deal.  Boston is taking back no salaries, so it works under the cap rules.

Miami is able to dump Beasley, which they are thought to be interested in doing, because of his poor work ethic, off-court issues, and aversion to defense while picking up the starting point guard and backcourt mate for Wade that they seek.  Rondo would fit very well into a defense that asks guards to be aggressive for steals and an offense that needs some punch besides Wade.  Riley never was too excited about Beasley and Chalmers is a good backup and has been in trouble a bit himself.  Miami is taking back $2 million less in salary, so it works under the cap rules.

Memphis picks up a better prospect that it would otherwise, as their glut of ballhandlers would prevent them from picking Rubio.  They get the #2 pick from a  stronger draft and with a year of experience.  It also gives them the blue chip big that they desperately need and were said to have coveted a year ago.  Memphis is under the salary cap, so it works under the cap rules.

Lineups:

Boston
Ricky Rubio
Ray Allen
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Kendrick Perkins

Miami
Rajon Rondo
Dwayne Wade
Jamario Moon
Udonis Haslem
Jermaine O'Neal

Memphis
Mike Conley
O.J. Mayo
Rudy Gay
Michael Beasley
Marc Gasol

I think all three teams improve on the court, financially, etc.. and should jump at this deal.

All of the talk about Rondo's extension, showing up late to playoff games, stubborn and moody attitude, etc... goes away but so does the contribution that he makes to the games. Even a lot of his detractors consider him at least a top 10 pg. If Rubio doesn't play at that level you've thrown away a year of our window around Paul and KG, plus they'd need to  sign a pg for the following season.

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I just want to point out that Rubio is garbage.

« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I see this as a smokescreen, but I'm not sure what they're trying to cover up!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

and this is based off of...

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

He may not be garbage, but you can't give up Rondo for him straight up.  You never give up a young, proven player with a ton of upside for a young, unproven player with a ton of upside.  It would have to be a case where the C's were getting more.

And anyways, I just don't see how it would make sense for the C's to be getting Rubio at all, since they are playing for a championship, and he is not ready to be a starter on a championship team yet.

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Two summers ago Mike Conley was the best pg prospect in years, with instincts better than Isaiah Thomas. Last year Derrick Rose (like Conley the year before) was better than Rondo before he ever set foot on an nba court. This year it's Rubio. I don't know that I'd gamble the rest of our window that he'll be a star as a rookie or even a sophomore.
As someone who was never a fan of Conley, it seemed to me he rose in the draft due to a lack of point guards and his exposure by playing on OSU with Oden. He started of predicted to go in the teens and then slowly worked his way up since there were no other PG prospects.

Rose, on the other hand, was legit and was a much better talent than Conley coming into the draft, so I don't get the comparison. Since Rose was already at near all star level last year, I also don't get why you mention Rose in a post about risk.