Author Topic: C's interested in acquiring the second pick?  (Read 60893 times)

Re: C's interested in aquiring the second pick?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would Ainge be looking at trading Rondo and say Tony Allen for Warrick in a S&T, Conley and the #2 and taking Thabeet? The C's have already won a title with an unproven young PG and this trade then solves problems at the backup 3 and backup 5. They could then sign Andre Miller or Jason Kidd to be the starter with the MLE.

I think something like this makes a lot more sense than selecting Rubio and giving him the keys to the car.

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Maybe the deal is Rondo + BBD for Conley + #2 pick.  If the salaries don't work we could always add a Giddens or Scal or Tony.  Why would Memphis kick in Conley? Well with an all-star guard like Rondo on your team, not enough minutes to satisfy Conley as a backup , especially since Mayo plays the 1 as well. BBD fills an area of need too.

Rondo
Mayo
Gay
BBD
Gasol

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Can someone explain to me how we trade BBD when he's a free agent.

Can someone explain to me why mephis trades for BBD - when they can just sign him outright, because he's a free agent.

It'll take a very wierd circumstance for BBD trade - given the rules regarding trades and how it deals with new contracts. It wont work since he'll be getting a big raise.

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Memphis is one of the few places where we could do a sign and trade with Davis. They're WAY under the cap next season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
You know who does need salary relief, the Clippers.

How about something like this?

Celtics Receive
#1 (Blake Griffin)
Chris Kaman
Baron Davis

Clippers Receive
#2 (Ricky Rubio)
Ray Allen
Kendrick Perkins

Grizzlies Receive
Rondo

May not be enough for the Grizzlies, but I could see that as a reasonable trade for LAC and Boston.  Boston gets a veteran starting PG, a young tough center to replace Perkins, and the PF that could be the base of the next dynasty.  L.A. dumps a ton of money, drops back just one spot, picks up a nice young tough and cheap center, and adds a solid veteran to help Gordon, Rubio, etc. come along.  If the Grizzlies were going to take Rubio, Rondo makes sense.  If Memphis is leaning towards Thabeet than perhaps you send Perkins or Camby to them in addition to Rondo (and maybe Conley out).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Just to stop that part of the rumors - we cannot include Davis in a sign and trade for draft picks because we can't sign and trade him until July, when the draft will be a couple of weeks in the past.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Memphis has made some head scratching trades before (see Gasol).  ::)

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2009, 11:31:46 AM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's a deal that leads to interesting discussions but I'm not sure it ever makes sense for both teams. To get the Celtics to do it, it's probably have to be Conley and the #2 and I'm not sure that makes enough sense for the Grizz. Rondo for the #2 straight up makes no sense for the Celtics, especially for Rubio who's still a year or two away (and currently injured, right?)
The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Also, hasn't Conley sucked? Maybe I missed a late season surge but I thought he was looking a lot like a bust.

And if this trade were to happen, I would be devastated if we took Thabeet with the pick. That guy has bust written all over him. Thabeet will make Greg Oden look like Kevin McHale on post offense and Lebron James when it comes to fouling percentage.

For Rubio, I'd be tempted. But due to the potentially short window we have, I'm not sure it's worth the risk.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Maybe this 2nd Pick is a precursor to another trade?

Celtics looking at 2nd pick, new thought on that topic
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline hilltopchamps

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
just a thought, what if the 2nd pick isnt for rubio?  what if it is for blake griffin and the clippers arent going to pick him, because there seems to be confusion with what the clips want to do. ainge might see griffin as the guy to extend the big 3 and have this guy come off the bench for at least next year and backup the 4,5 and maybe even the 3 for a little. not to make any comparisons but griffin can be almost like a len bias type without the tragedy, because people on the boards here keep alluding to how ainge told red back in the late 80's that he would trade the big 3 while they had good value, but also who knows how they would have held up with len bias with that core.  so ainge might figure, ok i dont want to trade PGA but instead try the big 3 plan with a big option off the bench, the oppotunity that the 1988-1992 celtics never had but something the 2009-2011/12 celtics could have. its just a thought and a little out of the box, but ainge seems to think out of the box so i think its something he has either thought about or has to think about.

Re: Celtics looking at 2nd pick, new thought on that topic
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Highly unlikely.  As dumb as the Clips are, they won't pass on Griffen.  And we certainly can't be making trades based on this idea anyway. This story will go away quickly because it simply makes no sense whatsoever.

Re: Celtics looking at 2nd pick, new thought on that topic
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Was watching the NBA Combine and Ainge was seen sitting right there next to Griffin. I'd be INSANELY happy if thats who this was all over. But i doubt it. What if we traded for the 2nd pick, then traded it for a young assett and a future pick?

Rubio is the real deal... but don't trade Ray Ray
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
I live at Portugal so I'm familiar with Ricky Rubio's game. I'm telling you: this kid is something special. Don't listen to all the hype, just focus on his game: his skills, his competiviness, his posture, on the fact that he's showing all this when he's 18.

If Ainge is really after him I understand why. But please stop talking about trading Ray Allen in the process (or in any other deal). Players like Ray Ray don't grow on trees (even when they are 33) Guys with such a class (on and off the court) and such an instinct for clutch shots are rare.
If we can get Rubio and keep Ray, fine. If we can't, I just have a simple question: who else will score 50+ in a crucial playoff game like Ray did against Chicago?

Re: Rubio is the real deal... but don't trade Ray Ray
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I live at Portugal so I'm familiar with Ricky Rubio's game. I'm just telling you: this kid is something special. Don't listen to all the hype. Just focus on his game, on his skills, on his competiviness, on his posture and, of course, on the fact that he's only 18.

If Ainge is really after him I understand why. But please stop talking about trading Ray Allen in the process (or in any other deal). Players like Ray Ray don't grow on trees (even when they are 33) Guys with such a class (on and off the court) and such an instinct for clutch shots are rare.
If we can get Rubio and keep Ray, fine. If we can't, I just have a simple question: who else will score 50+ in a crucial playoff game like Ray did against Chicago?

A) We lost that game.

B) I care a whole lot less about Ray's one 50 point game and more about his scoring average through the playoffs, which wasn't that great.  He was very inconsistent, so his average was much lower than you'd expect from a guy capable of 50 points. 

I'm not saying Ray isn't good, but people should stop pointing out the 50 point game like Ray is some kind of amazingly gifted scorer at this point in his career.  At least in the playoffs, it seems the best we can hope from Ray is that he averages around 10-15 points a night.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers