Author Topic: C's interested in acquiring the second pick?  (Read 60890 times)

C's interested in acquiring the second pick?
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Let the rumors continue! Here: Take a look. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/09/griz-expect-rubio-visit-for-workout/

if we are considering the second pick, which seems unlikely, what would we give up? If there is any way we could get Mayo and the second pick, I would be ecstatic. I'd be willing to part with Rondo and Allen. The problem is that Memphis doesn't have any bad contracts. I just don't see how it could work. Without any big contracts involved, I don't see the point in a Rondo for Rubio swap. I would be strongly against that. What do you guys think? What kind of package could we put together? 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:42:12 PM by Redz »

Re: C's interested in aquiring the second pick?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:49:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To get the second pick, we'd have to trade Rondo.  That's the only deal I see making sense for Memphis.  Memphis is way under the cap, and doesn't need economic relief.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'll stop watching basketball if the Celtics trade up for Rubio.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Wow, i am quite surprised by this rumour. Would Ainge select Rubio? Who would we send there?

Rubio will be a great player for this league, vagrant. The kid has an amazing bball IQ, I've watched him play many times. The thing is, I wouldn't give up on Rondo for any draft pick now

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I suppose this could make sense from Ainge's perspective if: 1) he's convinced Rubio is a future all-star; 2) he's convinced that Rubio could competently lead a team right now; 3) he's got serious concerns about Rondo's attitude and shooting ability; and 4) he's convinced that Rondo is going to sign a huge deal in restricted free agency next summer.

Under those very specific circumstances, I can see the Celtics dealing Rondo for Rubio and probably an additional piece. 

Tony + Rondo for Gay + Rubio?  That's probably too much from Memphis' perspective.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As difficult as this report is to swallow, Roy's 3 and 4 is the reason why it might be true. I'm certainly not interested in Rondo at a max deal given the current state of his game.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:12:10 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I suppose this could make sense from Ainge's perspective if: 1) he's convinced Rubio is a future all-star; 2) he's convinced that Rubio could competently lead a team right now; 3) he's got serious concerns about Rondo's attitude and shooting ability; and 4) he's convinced that Rondo is going to sign a huge deal in restricted free agency next summer.

Under those very specific circumstances, I can see the Celtics dealing Rondo for Rubio and probably an additional piece. 

Tony + Rondo for Gay + Rubio?  That's probably too much from Memphis' perspective.

You're probably right, but I love the trade from our perspective. If Danny gets a deal like that from Memphis, I would hope he doesn't hesitate. I guess the question is this: How much value does Rondo have right now? Is Rondo currently worth the number two and a player of Gay's caliber? I am obviously a little partial, but I think Rondo is very close to commanding that kind of talent in return. Remember, Gay did not have the kind of year Memphis was expecting out of him. They may be a little down on the guy. To keep things in perspective, Gay is a third or fourth option on a good team, not a first or a second. Rondo is a potential hall of fame type player. With all that being said, I'd pull the trigger on this made-up deal.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
don't want to give up rondo but this deal might just occur especially if rubio does not want to go to memphis. Rondo and tony allen for the 2nd pick/vet or cash

Also there are rumours the blazers is still seeking to get conley jr.

Rubio wouldn't have too much effect on a young immature team. But on a celtics team i think he will shine.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I hope he's got contingency plans to trade KG and Ray and maybe Paul if Rubio's not ready to play at a near all-star level right away.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Sounds good on our side getting Gay & Rubio, But Memphis would never do this deal as it doesn't fit Mayo! Rondo is a ball dominating gaurd & only getting worse in that department as he gets better. Mayo & Rondo couldn't co-exists as Mayo's game is alot of 1 on 1 creating as opposed to being set-up by the pass like Ray,Paul & KG has become.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

My guess is Danny is throwing out crazy trade ideas like that with his inquiries.  I doubt he is offering anything Memphis will strongly consider.  

The other deal I think he might be throwing out there would be Allen (and perhaps a future #1) for Jaric, Darko, Buckley, and the #2 pick, hoping they will jump at getting rid of Jaric's salary, as well as adding a veteran presence like Allen.

I don't think Memphis would do it, but no one said the C's were making realistic offers, just that they made a pitch.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
At least it seems Danny is pretty active lately. There may be some deals from now til draft day ;)

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
No way that Ainge trades for a rookie PG, if he hopes to win in the next 2-3 years with the big three. No way.  We need Rondo. I have not seen Rubio play, but it is too risky to try that.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
don't want to give up rondo but this deal might just occur especially if rubio does not want to go to memphis. Rondo and tony allen for the 2nd pick/vet or cash

Also there are rumours the blazers is still seeking to get conley jr.

Rubio wouldn't have too much effect on a young immature team. But on a celtics team i think he will shine.

If the Celtics somehow can get Conley jr. back in this trade that is one heck of nugget to have for 2011 or 2012 Free agency as Greg Oden has already said before that he & Conley would somehow play together again. And Conley's dad I believe is Oden's agent, but I may be wrong on the agent part. Also, if they acquire Conley jr. I would assume they are thinking Thabeet! Especially with the Defense we play it would be very hard to overlook him when they could just sign Marbury to start with Conley filling in.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
No way that Ainge trades for a rookie PG, if he hopes to win in the next 2-3 years with the big three. No way.  We need Rondo. I have not seen Rubio play, but it is too risky to try that.

You mean, like 2007/08, when it was "too risky" to play with a second-year PG who can`t shoot?   :P

Who knows what Ainge is really aiming for?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.