Author Topic: Another Kevin Martin idea... and just another idea  (Read 16543 times)

Another Kevin Martin idea... and just another idea
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I know people have commented on the fact that the kings wont trade Kevin Martin for Ray Allen bc he's their franchise but the Maloofs are totally in dire straits thanks to the Madoff fallout so I think this trade would be something they'd have to at least look at;

SAC trade: Martin (8ish/4yrs), Nocioni (8/4yrs) and Udrih (5.5/3yrs)
BOS trade: Allen (16ish/1 yr), Scal (3/1 yr) and Pruitt (.7/1yr)

Works bc: The celtics secure a legit 2 guard to replace Ray's spot in the starting line up, a 6th man in Nocioni to spell Pierce and a back up PG for Rondo.  The kings shed over $21 mil in payroll and can still feild a decent team thanks to Ray.

Doesn't work bc: It leaves the Celtics with little to no flexibility over the next couple years so all these guys have to pan out to some extent.  Hinders our ability to resign rondo to an extension and we lose two incredible locker room guys (ray & scal).  The kings basically say goodbye to their franchise guy and likely lose a whole lotta season ticket holders.

One completely unrelated note that could probably be a post unto itself... why aren't there more posts about us making a run at the Birdman?  He solves all of our problems and is TOTALLY worth the full MLE.  He would be a god in boston and we wouldnt have to resign BBD.

Re: Another Kevin Martin idea... and just another idea
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think it's too much money coming back. That's an extra $24 million in 2010/11 ... too much money I think.

I don't think Chris Andersen is worth the MLE. Not a fan of giving him that type of money. Good value for under $3mil per annum if he's going to get 20 minutes a night.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I thin it's a great trade and have been advocating this trade, or something close to it, for a couple of weeks now. Thing is, I don't think we have to include Scal to get it done.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
A really, really good trade for the c's (although I'd be incredibly sad to see Ray go via a trade, but that's business I guess). I think the Kings would find a better option than this however.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:42:54 AM by jackson_34 »

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I don't think you can sell this trade to your fans if you're the Kings. They have to have some hope.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I threw a very similar trade together a while back.

I personally like it.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:23 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I don't think you can sell this trade to your fans if you're the Kings. They have to have some hope.

They could maybe flip Ray to the Clippers for B.Diddy, and the #1.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's great for us besides the ridiculous amount of money coming in.  It would be very difficult to work the salary in the near future as the others have said.

Also, even though the Maloofs may be just about running on empty at this point, I can't imagine they'd want to flush their team down the toilet to the point where it has no real future (as this trade would essentially do).  If they were that desperate, I'm sure they'd just sell the team.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:41 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
It's not a bad trade idea at all. Plus, Kings and Celtics have worked together recently in trades lately, so you may think there is some good relationship or at least business is open between them.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:36:36 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the Kings would find a better option than this however.

I agree.  If Kevin Martin was on the block, teams would be lining up for him.  It would take more than expiring contracts; I would expect the asking price to be at least an expiring contract plus an elite young talent coming back.

Plus, how many 25 ppg scorers are there signed for fours years, $44 million?  That's a steal, and is exactly the type of deal Sacramento will want to hold on to.

I can see them dealing Udrih, Nocioni, and Garcia, but I think they'd be out of their minds to deal Martin.  Unless they're blown away, it won't happen; the Maloofs aren't in such financial trouble that they're going to trade one of the best players in the NBA -- signed to a reasonable contract -- for nothing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Great idea - that I can't see the Maloofs doing because they get nothing useful long-term in return.

I'd think you've got a greater chance of getting something our of Shinn in a Ray-Rondo deal than this. Incrementally, of course.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Chris Anderson had a couple good games, and he's a good fit in Denver.

He's a liability on the court, on both ends.

He can't play defense, he can't score. All he can do it fly to the rim hoping for a rebound. Sure it's exciting. But he can't defend, and he can't score. We have KG and Perk for rebounding we dont need him.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:58:33 AM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
I know Kevin Martin is an excellent player, but this team is probably begging to take the albatross that is Beno's contract off the books.  I mean that is just an awful contract.  They're getting a decent young point guard and you could probably rework the deal so they get Walker, Tony Allen and a #1 (none of which are worthy of Martin but they're young at least) instead of scal.  The celt's could also offer to take Kenny Thomas' contract off they're hands but I'm guessing they'd like to hold onto that bc it's expiring.  And lets face it, Nocioni's contract is awful too, 8+ mil for the next 4 years is a lot for a guy who played like so-so last season.

I mean, if I'm the Maloofs and I see a deal that would allow me to go into the vaunted "2010 free agency" with over $30 mil in cap space (if you keep Nocioni in the deal and Thomas comes off the books at the end of the year), I'd have to think long and hard about it.  

Obviously Kevin Martin is a special talent, that's the only reason I would even want to trade Ray Allen (though I do find the Ray for Prince and Rip trade interesting), but this deal would give the Kings well over $24 a mil a year over the next three years.  Mind you, this is the team that allowed a productive Brad Miller and an absolute bargain in the form of John Salmons for Nocioni and Gooden.  

I just wish the Kings had a crappy GM instead of Petrie, he's pretty good and probably would veto this.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I know Kevin Martin is an excellent player, but this team is probably begging to take the albatross that is Beno's contract off the books.  I mean that is just an awful contract.  They're getting a decent young point guard and you could probably rework the deal so they get Walker, Tony Allen and a #1 (none of which are worthy of Martin but they're young at least) instead of scal.  The celt's could also offer to take Kenny Thomas' contract off they're hands but I'm guessing they'd like to hold onto that bc it's expiring.  And lets face it, Nocioni's contract is awful too, 8+ mil for the next 4 years is a lot for a guy who played like so-so last season.

I mean, if I'm the Maloofs and I see a deal that would allow me to go into the vaunted "2010 free agency" with over $30 mil in cap space (if you keep Nocioni in the deal and Thomas comes off the books at the end of the year), I'd have to think long and hard about it.  

Obviously Kevin Martin is a special talent, that's the only reason I would even want to trade Ray Allen (though I do find the Ray for Prince and Rip trade interesting), but this deal would give the Kings well over $24 a mil a year over the next three years.  Mind you, this is the team that allowed a productive Brad Miller and an absolute bargain in the form of John Salmons for Nocioni and Gooden.  

I just wish the Kings had a crappy GM instead of Petrie, he's pretty good and probably would veto this.

Can you think of an example of one trade, ever, where a team gave up a 26 year old, 25 ppg scorer signed long-term to a reasonable deal without getting a star-caliber player in return?

Also, I think they could clear salary in other ways.  Trade Nocioni to Boston for Scal and Tony.  Trade Udrih and the #4 to OKC or Portland (or any other team with enough cap space to fit his deal). 

What you don't do, under any circumstances, is trade your budding superstar.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
umm.... Pau Gasol?