Author Topic: Ty Lawson  (Read 8660 times)

Ty Lawson
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
With talks of a lot of teams looking into selling their draft picks, I'm wondering if its possible that the Celtics could steal UNC's Ty Lawson.

He'd keep a good tempo with this team, and is a fairly strong defender. I feel like his overall talent would out-shadow the inexperience. Plus, he fits a need without having to use any of the MLE which we could use for our backup SF and big.

Re: Ty Lawson
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am a big fan of Lawson.  I can't understand why he is being projected so low.  If he slips into the 20's, I would be very happy with the C's trying to move in to grab him.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Right now Draft Express projects him going 18th to the 76ers, which would make a lot of sense if they didn't resign Miller. In the event that Miller doesn't resign, I think the C's would have to move up in the mid teens to land him.

Of course, there might be a team that might look at a poor draft class and look at Lawson like Raymond Felton. He won't be a superstar, but you have a good idea what you'll get out of him.

I think he's a perfect backup for us.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I am a fan of Lawson also..think he would be make a good backup with the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I like him too. I think he would be a great back up PG for us...

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't like the fact that he's a poor shooter.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
Hey hes fast can push the tempo and drive to the hole.  But his shot is suspect, and he is real small, one of the smallest players in this draft.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I don't like the fact that he's a poor shooter.

His % don`t indicate that. And this article from draftexpress also doesn`t support the claim...

As we put this data together, we weren’t surprised that Ty Lawson excelled from a situational perspective, as he did play for the most potent offense in all of college basketball, but we didn’t expect him to look this good. He ranks first in a number of key categories, including overall FG% (52%), Points Per Possession [PPP](1.13), pull up jump shot FG% (47%), and %shots he was fouled on (16.1%). Though his teammates did a lot of scoring as well, Lawson functioned seamlessly as a complementary scorer. Looking past his efficiency as a shooter off the dribble, he was second in catch and shoot field goal percentage at 48%. From a purely statistical sense, no player on this list scored more efficiently than Lawson.

We thought that UNC’s transition offense might have given Lawson a decided advantage over some of his counterparts in terms of efficiency, but that wasn’t entirely true. He did get 10% more offense in transition than any of the other players we looked at (an outrageous 38.6%), but his transition PPP of 1.2 is the same as his PPP in spot up situations and not as far above the average as his PPP in pick and roll situations (1.19 PPP, +.29) or on isolations (1 PPP, +.16). Lawson was an incredibly prolific transition player (which is quite an advantage in itself today’s NBA), but he was comparatively better in other areas as well. When you consider that he only turned the ball over on 13.8% of his half court possessions (5th best) and can drive left and right equally well, it seems like Lawson could be an excellent offensive fit on virtually any team, regardless of tempo.

Link: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Years-Point-Guard-Crop-3209/

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Well, its official, let's make it happen.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I like Ty Lawson quite a bit, for many of the reasons Draft Express outlines, and I think he could mature into quite a good first option at the point. Very intelligent player.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 09:39:52 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Hey hes fast can push the tempo and drive to the hole.  But his shot is suspect, and he is real small, one of the smallest players in this draft.

Not exactly an exact comparison for several reasons (i.e., height), but perhaps folks are underrating the effect of Lawson's speed.  Years back I was stunned that lightening quick Eric Snow was considered a second-rounder (he went 43rd), but he eventually got burn in Philly and showed everyone.  He ended up with a very tidy NBA career.  Like Snow, I think Lawson knows how to use his speed.  Perhaps even moreso.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Parallels between Ty Lawson and Jameer Nelson?

Both elite college point guards who drop to mid teen's early 20s unfairly due to their size?

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Both elite college point guards who drop to mid teen's early 20s unfairly due to their size?

Nelson is the guy I have been thinking of with Lawson.  I just don't see why Lawson is not going higher.  I know he has a weird release on his jumpshot, and is very small...but he can play basketball (and his shot isn't that bad, just slow).

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker

Nelson is the guy I have been thinking of with Lawson.  I just don't see why Lawson is not going higher.  I know he has a weird release on his jumpshot, and is very small...but he can play basketball (and his shot isn't that bad, just slow).

Yea I think his size may be hurting him the most.  I'd like to see him come here as a backup if Danny can buy a draft pick at the right spot where we can steal him.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
His shot being slow isn't going to be much of an issue, look at all the open looks Rondo gets in this offense, Lawson would get the same and would have plenty of time to take the open shot.
do it