Author Topic: Draft??? Sam Young  (Read 3705 times)

Draft??? Sam Young
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »

Offline YoungCfan

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I have. Beleived for a while that sam young from pitt would be a good fit for this team, now and for the future. If we could trade up in the draft for him, it would cost less than a f/a this summer. He could be like courtney lee is for the magic. An offensive spark, though i have not evaluated him defensivley. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:54:11 AM by wdleehi »

Re: Draft???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have no interest in this years draft. 

Use all assets to get players that are known NBA players that will help. 

No new projects.

Re: Draft??? Sam Young
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
This draft doesn't have franchise players, but there are a decent amount of role players.

Sam Young is good.

And wdleehi, would you consider Courtney Lee a project because he's working out pretty well for Orlando right now. You can get rotation guys that can play right away.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Yes!  Big fan of Sam Young.  Other guys who I think would be great for this team, Danny Green (in the Trevor Ariza role would be perfect), Jeff Pendergraph, and Josh Heytvelt. 

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This draft doesn't have franchise players, but there are a decent amount of role players.

Sam Young is good.

And wdleehi, would you consider Courtney Lee a project because he's working out pretty well for Orlando right now. You can get rotation guys that can play right away.

He worked out.  But how many rookies take a season or two before they are ready?

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Would Young in his rookie year be better then Walker in his 2nd year?

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Would Young in his rookie year be better then Walker in his 2nd year?

This is my problem with Young.  He is a nice player, but he is not a special young player.  And we already have enough young wings to try to develop. 

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
This is where I think you have it wrong.  Historically four year players from big programs fall in the draft because in most cases they've reached their maximum size and their game, for the most part, is what it is.  But these are the players, the Arenas's, Maxiells, Stuckeys, and such, become solid role players in the NBA. 

Our "project" players didn't come from big programs.  They didn't excel at the highest levels.  They are projects because they are bang or bust.  A guy like a Sam Young, or a Danny Green, they are four year players from major programs in major conferences.  They have a history of showing up big, in big games.  These are the types of players you want rounding out your rotation. 

I'm willing to bet, right now, that Young or Green could already leapfrog Walker in the rotation.  They are both phsyically good size for the NBA.  Both have a good 3 point shot and play smart team defense.  And they both can finish around the rim and hit a 15 footer.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:33:54 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
He is a bit undersized for a SF. What we need is height of the bench at every position and I don`t think he brings that...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:39:56 PM by thebirdman »

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:50:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
the point of it is the Celtics do not have the pick needed to get close to a player like this.

And the trade ammo, such as it is, would be wasted on going after a pick this year when the need for experience is so big.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I'd love it

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I have a huge interest in this draft; we have potentially 6 guys that won't be on the roster next year.  Sam Young is not a bad option. I hope Ainge buys the 21st from New Orleans, then has a couple of names in mind that he'd like to take. I'm really warming to Earl Clark, the guy is reminding me of Rashard Lewis that can play some D.

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I would take Danny Green and Sam Young over Bill Walker and JR Giddens.  Even with the year of experience for walker and Giddens.  Green is a better shooter and better defender then both Walker and Giddens already.  Ainge picked two projects in the draft last year, and that was fine.  There are guys at the end of the 1st round that are ready to contribute right now.  Other guys are Damion James, Tyler Smith, DaJuan Summers, and Derrick Brown.  Tyler Smith might be the guy I want.  Plays a very similar style to Josh Howard, great athleticism, but the rest of the things he does are just good.  He's not a very good outside shooter, but he's a good ball handler and passer and would fit well on the Celtics bench.  Again he's a guy I'd probably take over Bill Walker and JR Giddens right now.
do it