Author Topic: NBA Finals -Game 1  (Read 16409 times)

Re: NBA Finals -Game 1
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Isn't Phil Jackson perfect in playoff series after Game One wins? Then again, the Magic ruined our perfection of series won after a 3-2 lead, too. Hopefully they can do something like that in the Finals.

Realistically, though... Magic don't really have a chance. Cavs would have beat the Lakers, and the Celtics probably would have, too. So sickening that the best the east could do is Orlando.

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
[dang it]
Yup

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Isn't Phil Jackson perfect in playoff series after Game One wins? Then again, the Magic ruined our perfection of series won after a 3-2 lead, too. Hopefully they can do something like that in the Finals.

Realistically, though... Magic don't really have a chance. Cavs would have beat the Lakers, and the Celtics probably would have, too. So sickening that the best the east could do is Orlando.
Yup if KG is health either Cle/Bos would represent the east. Both teams would beat the Lakers.

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
"we really had to overcome a lot of adversity in the Houston and denver series"

in Houston? Like what? almost chocking against a team a team with key injuries who's post presence was a 6'6 tweener for 3 games?

I'll give him denver, but houston should have been a cake walk with the front court edge they had after yao went down.

Small Houston isn't easy to beat, don't misunderstand the challenge there.  Plus they were hitting every shot they took.

Lakers... 25 point win CRUSHING of the Orlando team that beat Boston...priceless. 

Just kidding, beating Boston without KG isn't really beating Boston.  I wish you guys were here so we could have the honor of some payback!!!!

the only challenge was complete incompetence on the part of the lakers coaching staff.

It took them a couple games, but they finally figured out that mabey, just mabey, they should throw the ball into the post where a tweener was playing center against one of the top 7 footers in the league and let the automatic double houston had to throw at him dictate thier offense.

If your own stupidity can be adversity, i guess the lakers coaching staff did overcome it admirably.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:36:13 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Yup if KG is health either Cle/Bos would represent the east. Both teams would beat the Lakers.

I don't know if we would have gotten by Cleveland without KG, but if we had I think we would have beat the Lakers if we just had Powe, maybe if with just Perk and Davis.

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 08:46:52 AM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
If Kobe plays the entire series like he did last night, then no one beats the Lakers.

By no means am I a Kobe fan, but he was fun to watch last night, and he had that look in his eyes where Lee & Pietrus just had no chance.

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:47 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Danny Ferry actually admitted that the Cavs were built to beat the Celtics.  Turned out to be a bad plan once Orlando made the ECF.

I think what we are seeing is Orlando finally coming back down to earth.  They played 8 straight games at a ridiculously high level (Games 6 and 7 against Boston and Games 1 through 6 against the Cavs).  They shot about 43% from 3 and Howard was actually making shots that weren't dunks.  I knew the Magic couldn't maintain that pace and I was hoping they would come back down to earth the Cavs but that didn't happen.  It looks like they waited until the Finals.

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 09:48:58 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I think some are overreacting to this 1 game. It is a seven game series remember? We creamed orlando in game 2 and look how that series turned out. LA had was destroyed by houston and denver but they moved on. It looked to me that orlando was a little nervouse being on that stage last night.  They were rattled once LA made that run in the 2nd and went up by 10. They looked like the stereotypical team that hasn't been there before But I do believe that the jitters should be gone come game 2 and they should rebound. They won't shoot that bad again and I fully expect a win on sunday. Then the have 3 games to at least give them a shot at closing or heading back up 1 game. The lakers are no better than last year, they are still the soft clowns that we all know and hate. Adjustments will be made and Swight will play better if he can stay out of foul trouble. I still say orlando wins this series. Its not like LA played lights out d, I saw a lot of open shots just missed by Orlando. I dont think that happens againg. But if they are cold again, Gundy has to adjust and find buckest some other way which they are capable of doing(see their series against us).
On a side note, does anyone think that Jackson and Breen could do a herbal essance commercial and moan the name Kobe over and over while washing their hair? The have always made me sick, so does JVG, but I'll give him a pass this time because I know he's rooting for the right team.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:54:20 AM by angryguy77 »
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Sorry angryguy, the Magic = Cavs of 2007

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Sorry angryguy, the Magic = Cavs of 2007
They are better than that team and LA isnt as good as those spures teams in their prime. All I'm saying is Orlando is not out of this after one game. This first game tells us nothing on how the series is going to play out.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Danny Ferry actually admitted that the Cavs were built to beat the Celtics.  Turned out to be a bad plan once Orlando made the ECF.

I think what we are seeing is Orlando finally coming back down to earth.  They played 8 straight games at a ridiculously high level (Games 6 and 7 against Boston and Games 1 through 6 against the Cavs).  They shot about 43% from 3 and Howard was actually making shots that weren't dunks.  I knew the Magic couldn't maintain that pace and I was hoping they would come back down to earth the Cavs but that didn't happen.  It looks like they waited until the Finals.

I think the fact is that Orlando is not really that good. Cleveland just didn't match up with them and they shot the lights out. LAs got the answer for Howard and got bench guys like Ariza that can cover Turk and Lewis. Bad match up for Orlando.

Celts were playing on fumes, with no bench and still should have beat Orlando.

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:07 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
the only challenge was complete incompetence on the part of the lakers coaching staff.

It took them a couple games, but they finally figured out that mabey, just mabey, they should throw the ball into the post where a tweener was playing center against one of the top 7 footers in the league and let the automatic double houston had to throw at him dictate thier offense.

If your own stupidity can be adversity, i guess the lakers coaching staff did overcome it admirably.

Man am I glad you don't coach the Fakers.   ;)

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
If Kobe plays the entire series like he did last night, then no one beats the Lakers.

By no means am I a Kobe fan, but he was fun to watch last night, and he had that look in his eyes where Lee & Pietrus just had no chance.

It's the first time I've seen him look angry, without it looking like he was angry at his own teammates.  Yeah, I think we saw the best of Bryant last night.  And as an added bonus, my girlfriend and I fell out every time Bryant made his "mad face."

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
oh my god. please nobody start with the kobe "look". or "look in his eyes." hgave your own opinion please please please. no "look" talk outta boston. uggggh. kill me now.

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
Don't celebrate just yet.
Even if you do, I've got
a little something for you.

That's right.
Next year, we're coming for you.

lol... KG used to be my favorite player in the NBA.  Now I have bad dreams about him.

No doubt, Perkins said when KG plays the whole team gets swagga.  Me no likey.