Author Topic: How About An Overseas Pick  (Read 1995 times)

How About An Overseas Pick
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I've been looking around at available players, and think this kid Omri Casspi might be worth drafting if we can get into the first round. He's projected to go in the 20's, is being compared to Hedo Turkoglu (and us Celts fans know that he ain't too shabby) and would fill a need at small forward. At 6'9, not a bad option at all and could be with the team long after our current Big three dissolve.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/omri-casspi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDakqwBan54

Re: How About An Overseas Pick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
What else can he do besides dunk? That video left me unconvinced that he has any basketball skills.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't like the comparisons to Turkoglu at all.  He is not nearly as skilled a player.  He is a passable ballhandler and shooter, but his strength is in his hustle, energy, and defense.  He is kind of a more athletic and smaller version of Scalabrine. 

If the C's had a pick, he might be worth looking at, but he is not good enough to actually buy a pick for...especially since we already have Giddens and Walker waiting in the wings.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Yeah I don't see Turkoglu at all.  He's somewhat athletic and can dunk, but nowhere near the player Hedo is.  Is Joe Ingles in this draft. I think he could be a solid player in the league...like Toni Kukoc if I had to compare to a players career.  I'm not sure though if he wants to come over right away our is playing overseas another season or 2...plus I doubt we'd have to trade up if at all to get him. 

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
great players round the globe
ive always thought that we should give the many ballas here in the states the chance first~

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Here's what I wrote about Casspi in another thread:

A better Hedo Turkoglu would be a top-5 pick in this draft. Casspi isn't even similar to Turkoglu. He isn't a playmaker, his shooting is subpar, his ball-handling raw and he can't create his shot. He's a high energy, athletic tweener.

I'll add he's a much better defender than Hedo and a solid rebounder. He's also a very feisty player, maybe even over-emotional. I don't think I'd bother to trade up just to draft Casspi.

Victor Claver is the only overseas player projected to go in the 2nd round that would make me ask prices for trading up. But he's still a high risk pick, he played a couple of months of high-level basketball and then broke his leg.