Author Topic: The worst story in sports  (Read 11352 times)

Re: The worst story in sports
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 08:07:10 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The real question is this, why is this happening in Nigeria?  Barce is a Spaniard club and ManU is English.

Because "soccer" is global, just like
the Celtics and the NBA are global.

Terrible story, btw, though sadly I'm
not even surprised.

I know soccer is global, that's pretty obvious.  However, I didn't know that Nigeria would have such fanbase big enough for this kind of thing to happen.  If this happened in Europe that would be more understandable, but Nigeria?

In my hometown in Brazil, we have a soccer stadium where a lot of the big teams use (since it's cheaper to use compared to Maracana) so we get buses of organized fans coming in.  Well, I case there was one case of a van of an opposing team breaking down on the road after a game and the bus stopped and beat the crap out of the van people, killing a couple.  Really horrible story.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
maybe they were being jerks and deserved it?

just a thought.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
That could've been me on Wednesday.

I'm kidding of course, football is just a game, as is any sport, and there's no way one should let it control their life or force one to end another persons life. There's no problem with arguing, but when that turns physical, you really have to take a look at yourself.

Driving a mini-van into a group of rival fans? That is brutal. I'm sure some of us have thought about doing it to Laker fans in the past. Not that we actually would. Difficult to fathom.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Soccer`s real problem is a group of people who are more interested in a fight than the game, the so called "hooligans" (Btw, the movie with Elijah Wood someone else mentioned is excellent, imo). They are organized and come from a certain social (and more importantly, political) background.

I live in an area where you have minimum 5 teams in the first and second division every season, and where most fans of one team hate the guts of fans from the other 4 teams. The cities where these teams are located already hated each other centuries before the invention of soccer. It´s a boiling point for hate and violence. Imagine a situation where the Celtics and Lakers are both located in Boston, only ten times worse.
I know some of these hooligans personally, and they are NOT "real fans". They´re just compensating their Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty life with violence. They´re living their lifes through their teams, and take pride in being "more fan than you". Of course, what do you expect? They have nothing else to take pride in.

That said, the english and german leagues did a pretty good job in sorting these guys out, with new stadiums, a massive amount of cops, video observation and personal ID´s if you want to buy a ticket. The situation in these countries is certainly much better than 20 years ago. In Germany, for example, soccer has become more of a famliy event than an "old boys club", and the atmosphere is not comparable to countries like Italy. But these things take time, energy and money...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

just a thought.

They deserved to die? C'mon....  :P

They were out in the streets celebrating their team winning one of the biggest soccer championships in the world and this idiot runs them over.  What could they have possibly been doing to deserve dying?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

just a thought.

They were out in the streets celebrating their team winning one of the biggest soccer championships in the world and this idiot runs them over.  What could they have possibly been doing to deserve dying?
Question:  Did this occur on a Monday?

Sincerely,
Bob Geldof

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I know soccer is global, that's pretty obvious.  However, I didn't know that Nigeria would have such fanbase big enough for this kind of thing to happen.  If this happened in Europe that would be more understandable, but Nigeria?

As far as safe places, I'm quite certain most
European countries are safer than Nigeria.
Even if we have more hooligans. Like Casperian
said, the police forces of Europe are very much
at the forefront when it comes to dealing with
stuff like this and people like this.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I hate to say it but this isn't a distinctly European or African phenomenon. After any major championship in the United States, there is almost always a riot of sorts in the streets surrounding the winning city. For example, I need only mention the name Victoria Snelgrove to remind us that this stuff is not just overseas. She did nothing wrong, and ended up dead. If she was the only one, then that would be one thing, but she's definitely not alone. It happens here all the time too.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/31/sports/backtalk-nba-needs-to-address-riots-in-title-cities.html

This story has stuff just as bad. Teen gets stomped to death in 1996 Chicago for wearing a Lakers jacket. Soccer is global, as is the NBA as referenced earlier, but idiocy is truly global as well.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
there was also violence in ireland (last week?) to do with celtic i think...politics add to the insane loyalty european fans have for their teams

any real fans out there should watch a movie i caught on indie chanel or something, it had the kid who was in the hobbit movies had to do with violence and english soccer
really sad/scary if you have any idea how bad things can be at a match

just googled it, called hooligans (of course) , even if you are not a soccer fan or ball player watch the movie

The name of the movie is Green Street Hooligans. it is a great movie and it really explores the depths of the loyalty and rivalries in Soccer, primerily European soccer. To quote a line from the movie - "...oh its like the Yankees and the Red Sox." " No, it much worse than that, its like the Israelies and the Palistianians."

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »

Offline pbak63

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
This is certainly a sad story, but I would ask people not to take films like
'Green Street' as the usual take on watching soccer in England. I didn't rate the film that highly.

I've been to about 1,100 games over the past 35 years and I've never hit anyone or been hit, though I have seen violence both inside and outside stadiums.

Football violence is very tribal - people that would happily buy each other a drink, can suddenly turn into monsters when they meet supporters of a rival club.

Remember, it's much easier for fans to drive to see their team at away games in England than it would be in the US. I've seen Watford play at about 70 different grounds over the years.

The concept of 'ultras' or hard core violent supporters clubs seems more common in Italy and Spain but just about every English team has a number of hooligans.

Certainly, increased policing and stewarding has helped to reduce crowd trouble and there are large numbers of women and children that attend games today.

The concept of swearing at games doesn't bother me at all. I'm not talking about organised chanting which doesn't happen so much these days since fans are all seated as opposed to when fans stood on terracing, but general comments towards players and officials. I certainly swear, even at certain Watford players. ::)

There was a Celtic fan murdered in Northern Ireland last week, after Rangers clinched the Scottish title, but there is still an amount of distrust between the Catholic and Protestant communities there, although the major violence of the 70's, 80's and 90's has decreased.

I like to think that I can go to a Watford game, shout my opinions out, but then go home and not feel the need to attack anyone or drive a car into them.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline cmbvale

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
The story is just insane. The guy lost is mind.

Had this happened in Europe and between some big rivals and could have triggered a serious problem.
Some want to be like Mike, i wanted to be like Ryan.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I saw an A.S. Roma game in Rome.  Pretty tame by Rome standards that day. Pretty wild by mine:   plenty of smoke and fire here and there.  Definitely some major police activity. 

The guy I went with was a major Roma supporter who shows his colors wherever he goes, I'd call him a minor hooligan, though I don't think he's ever attacked anyone.

He got chased down the street in Napoli and knifed in the groin.  Napoli is a place I'd never show up in the opposing team's jersey.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177

just a thought.

I can't believe someone actually responded to this!!  Especially a moderator.

A TP for making my day!
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.