Author Topic: Luke Harangody?  (Read 3024 times)

Luke Harangody?
« on: May 28, 2009, 05:37:52 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
How would you guys feel if we drafted him if say we lost big baby? I think Harangody is a good player can shoot the jumper like Baby can and probably has better down low moves. Would you guys like Luke Harangody on the boston celtics next year if we lose Big Baby?

Re: Luke Harangody?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Problem is we won't know about BBD by draft day, and drafting another undersized PF doesn't address immediate needs and might help push Baby out the door (or put him in a corner  ;D).  Also, Harangody struggled mightily against NBA-caliber talent in college and mostly dominated lesser competition. I don't see him sticking in the long run.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't really think Harangody is an NBA talent.  He might be nice to invite to camp to see if he can prove he belongs, or maybe use the second round pick on him...but I wouldn't count on him doing much. 

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Sounds like another Pittsnogle to me.

"You've just been Harangodied!"
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:59:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Potential to be a solid 4th big in the NBA but more likely to spend most of his career playing overseas. I like him though and I actually included him in my Summer League roster. I'll copy what I wrote about him in that thread:

I'd have no problem in picking Harangody with the #58. I think he'll be a limited and bellow average player who will work extremely hard to be as good as he can be, and will be able to help a team on those long February road trips when nobody else really feels like playing hard. He will shut down, say, Amare Stoudemire one of those nights simply by outworking him. He will be good for the coaches in practices.

If Ainge is planning on letting Powe walk and trading Scal at some point during the season and wants another reserve big for an extremely cheap price, it wouldn't hurt to give a look to Harangody.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
How would you guys feel if we drafted him if say we lost big baby? I think Harangody is a good player can shoot the jumper like Baby can and probably has better down low moves. Would you guys like Luke Harangody on the boston celtics next year if we lose Big Baby?

Not if he can only shoot the jumper like BBD. BBD is a mediocre shooter. I am betting 3/4 of the pg's out there have better post moves than BBD.

He does however appear to be a player who has potential. Most likely 2-3 years out. I don't want a project. We need someone who can seriously step in the next year or so in order to have a shot at #18.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
He's staying at Notre Dame anyways no thanks

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline johncul

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I have been a huge ND fan for the past couple of years and feel that I can give a somewhat intelligent analysis on him having watched nearly every televised game of the Irish.  Harangody's positives are that he has surprising athleticism, always seems to get his, good work ethic, runs the floor well, and continually improves the aspects of his game that will make him an NBA contributor (fadeway jumper, running hook, distance shooting, etc.)  However, he is not without his downsides as a player.  He forces the issue way too much, hasn't improved his passing in each of his three years, he is undersized, his stats are somewhat inflated (he took most of the shots for the ND offense and nobody else on the team rebounded so he coralled the majority of NDs rebounds), and he did not perform well against NBA caliber competition. 

I'd be interested to watch him during camps and in all likelihood he'll be back in South Bend next year.  However, should he come out, I would not necessearily want the Celtics to draft him.  He would need a few years in the NBA to establish a role and to find a consistent niche he can bring night in night out.  I don't see him bringing that to the Celtics in 2009-2010.  Thus his value to them would be greatly diminished.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
might help push Baby out the door (or put him in a corner  ;D). 
I like BBD if the choice is either/or.

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Before this year I would have thought that Harangody had a chance in the NBA, maybe mid to high second rounder. After watching him a few times versus possible NBA talent(Hansborough, Blair, Thabeet), I think he has a career destined for the NBDL or Europe or whatever he gets his degree in.