Author Topic: Nuggets-Lakers Is A Great Series  (Read 35357 times)

Re: Nuggets-Lakers Is A Great Series
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Did you have those green glasses on the whole 4th quarter?  The Lakers were going into the post in the 4th, like they have been doing most of the series.  Denver claims to be an attacking team, but so many times carmelo holds it on the wing for iso's with no ball movement. 

The difference is they are calling fouls when billups and melo lose the ball or force up bad shots, but not on the other end (1 play in particular, kobe posting up JR Smith, getting raked across the arm, and no call).  I dont think its too much to ask for a little consistency.

Simmons a laker fan, haha good one, you got jokes.

right, if someone disagrees with you, its because their an homer idiot and don't know how basketball works. pretty default "argument" around here lately.  ::)

and yes, they were going into the post, your right. a fall away jump shot out of said post or the hook shots gasol was taking is not attacking. the only one attacking was kobe, and he got to the line. Billups and melo were right at the rim all night, you attack off the fast break to force the whistle.

I appreciate some want to buy into some sort of vast NBA conspiracy, but that game was pretty by the book. there was one bad call, for sure, and that was JR smith not getting nailed for that jump ball violation.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Did you have those green glasses on the whole 4th quarter?  The Lakers were going into the post in the 4th, like they have been doing most of the series.  Denver claims to be an attacking team, but so many times carmelo holds it on the wing for iso's with no ball movement. 

The difference is they are calling fouls when billups and melo lose the ball or force up bad shots, but not on the other end (1 play in particular, kobe posting up JR Smith, getting raked across the arm, and no call).  I dont think its too much to ask for a little consistency.

Simmons a laker fan, haha good one, you got jokes.

right, if someone disagrees with you, its because their an homer idiot and don't know how basketball works. pretty default "argument" around here lately.  ::)

and yes, they were going into the post, your right. a fall away jump shot out of said post or the hook shots gasol was taking is not attacking. the only one attacking was kobe, and he got to the line. Billups and melo were right at the rim all night, you attack off the fast break to force the whistle.

I appreciate some want to buy into some sort of vast NBA conspiracy, but that game was pretty by the book. there was one bad call, for sure, and that was JR smith not getting nailed for that jump ball violation.

A conspiracy against the lakers? Did David Stern retire?  ;)

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline DanMan08

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

Never said you were an idiot, a homer...maybe but who isn't.  Me, Huge KG fan, but i try to watch most of the games and try to enjoy them.  Only team i root against is cleveland (which is why for the most part i dont comment on their games cause it will come out very one sided).  The only problem i have with the officiating in the WCF, is that billups and melo attack the rim, and you got LA defenders with their hands straight up getting called for fouls (saw that call against howard late in the game vs cleveland). 

Thats the call that just ruins the game for me, whats the D supposed to do, move away for an uncontested layup?  At least in college and in FIBA they understand thats not a foul and no call it, but in the NBA, if you got a name on the back of your jersey that the officials recognize, they'll send you to the line.  They said at the beginning of the year, that was a point of emphasis this year, the defender jumping straight up, i mean what was the point they emphasized, that its a foul on the D?  Melo and billups did not attack in the fast break at all, they attacked through wing iso's and high pick and rolls against a set D. 

Conspiracy on the other hand, thats all just talk, didnt see anyone saying that last year when it was the "NBA wants Celtics v Lakers", sometimes the 2 best teams make it.  The officiating was just as bad in most of the other series as it is in the WCF, so at least thats consistent.  I just prefer to see games decided by players and not officials.  BTW, thats how many no calls in the final 20 seconds thats benefited DEN now this postseason (Dallas series anyone?). 

And on another note, anyone see those kobe lebron puppet commercials, lol, could it be anymore awesome.  

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »

Offline Cs09Champs

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Never stop believing baby!
Man we have one of the best intros in the league.
Let's go C's!!!

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I've enjoyed what I've seen of this series. IMO Denver is getting the calls due to being aggressive.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
You know its gotta be bad when bill simmons says the lakers are were on the wrong end of some terrible officiating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090522/part1&sportCat=nba

The nba is trying to make the conf finals as good as the bulls-celtics series, but the problem is that series was epic because the players left it all out there and decided it with big shot after big shot.

The WCF right now is just the opposite, the officiating is keeping the 2 games close and the free throw fest they call a fourth quarter just isnt very exciting. 

As entertaining as he is, quoting Simmons as some sort of authority in basketball is silly. He is basically paid to inject some pop culture, "regular fan" perspective into ESPN, and has himself admitted that for the most part of these CF he didnt pay attention until it was close (just listen to the JA Adande podcast).

And for the record, he also thought that the Nuggets were robbed in game 1.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
This series is some great entertaining basketball.
I want the Nuggets to win so bad I can taste it.  They are looking good right now, but Billups seems to be strugling missing free throws and turning the ball over.

They are also getting themselves into foul trouble.

They are going to need him if they are going to win this.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
Wow!
That shot by JR smith to end the 3rd was sick.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There is a lot of contact right now...  The refs are really letting them play, which isn't helping the Nuggets right now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 11:05:54 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
Melo has been MIA for the 2nd half.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
For anybody who says that Kobe never misses clutch free throws:  he just did.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Wow. These conference series have been very entertaining.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
Kobe missed because my wife Jinxed Kobe with some crazy vodoo.  She also says F Kobe. Over-rated ;D

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Man, what a weak shot Martin put up with about 55 secs left, right at the rim.

Another great game.  Crazy good.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 11:19:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
For anybody who says that Kobe never misses clutch free throws:  he just did.

And again.  (It was a huge three pointer, though, unfortunately enough.)