Author Topic: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs  (Read 17296 times)

Re: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Would that amount to a Yi Jianlian situation or would this be a simpler refusal?

Well, unlike Chairman Yi, Rubio can simply stay with his current club two more years and save $6 millions from the buyout.

I'd be curious to hear your comparison of Casspi and Jerebko, if you have one, in terms of future role playing potential.  Could Jerebko be better than Kleiza?  I like the profile of Jerebko on Draft Express but don't get to watch Euro bball...

I'd like to help, but unfortunately I'm not the best person to talk about Jerebko. I don't follow the Italian League, his team isn't playing in the European competitions and the Swedish National team doesn't qualify for the international tournaments either. I've seen him playing once or twice, but to be honest I don't remember him. People whose opinion I trust like him; the DX article is a good summation of what I heard. And he's certainly been quite productive for a kid of his age in the Italian league.

From all the Euro tweeners in the Kleiza mold entering this draft (I must say I'm a strong proponent of positional purity, so I'm not easily convinced by players like these ones: I don't like players I can't clearly say which NBA position they can defend) - Claver, Casspi, Jerebko, Dasic, Preldzic - I think Claver is the most interesting prospect due to his upside. He was always very talented, but some may remember my criticism of him before last year's draft - predicting he'd drop out of the draft because he wasn't good enough to be drafted.

However, he finally stepped up this season, started behaving and conducting himself as pro, on and off the court, became a clear SF and was having a terrific season until he broke his leg. That hold him back, as he only returned to the court a few weeks ago; otherwise I think he could have been a lottery pick this season. If the injury doesn't affect him and he can go back to his form from the beginning of this season, he'll be a very interesting NBA prospect (as a long 3, not a PF like DraftExpress have him).

Ainge likes to run risks with players that have had serious injuries, so if Claver stays in the draft I wouldn't mind to see us buying a pick and stash him another year in the ACB.

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Would that amount to a Yi Jianlian situation or would this be a simpler refusal?

Well, unlike Chairman Yi, Rubio can simply stay with his current club two more years and save $6 millions from the buyout.

I'd be curious to hear your comparison of Casspi and Jerebko, if you have one, in terms of future role playing potential.  Could Jerebko be better than Kleiza?  I like the profile of Jerebko on Draft Express but don't get to watch Euro bball...

I'd like to help, but unfortunately I'm not the best person to talk about Jerebko. I don't follow the Italian League, his team isn't playing in the European competitions and the Swedish National team doesn't qualify for the international tournaments either. I've seen him playing once or twice, but to be honest I don't remember him. People whose opinion I trust like him; the DX article is a good summation of what I heard. And he's certainly been quite productive for a kid of his age in the Italian league.

From all the Euro tweeners in the Kleiza mold entering this draft (I must say I'm a strong proponent of positional purity, so I'm not easily convinced by players like these ones: I don't like players I can't clearly say which NBA position they can defend) - Claver, Casspi, Jerebko, Dasic, Preldzic - I think Claver is the most interesting prospect due to his upside. He was always very talented, but some may remember my criticism of him before last year's draft - predicting he'd drop out of the draft because he wasn't good enough to be drafted.

However, he finally stepped up this season, started behaving and conducting himself as pro, on and off the court, became a clear SF and was having a terrific season until he broke his leg. That hold him back, as he only returned to the court a few weeks ago; otherwise I think he could have been a lottery pick this season. If the injury doesn't affect him and he can go back to his form from the beginning of this season, he'll be a very interesting NBA prospect (as a long 3, not a PF like DraftExpress have him).

Ainge likes to run risks with players that have had serious injuries, so if Claver stays in the draft I wouldn't mind to see us buying a pick and stash him another year in the ACB.

Thanks for response on the SF's!

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I also like many of the unc boys in this draft like lawson.

Griffin , Kaman, Thornton , brand if they can gel could be next nuggets team

Rubio will be good going to a team that has talent already. (just like bbd came to us). Like mike conley without the proper talent in place or system i think he will struggle. A good nba player can take over the game on his own at times and as well utilize his team to do it. I strongly feel rubio will have a hard time getting much going for himself in a stronger fast paced nba plus the team that will draft him prob sac stink

Sacrmento could be wise to package the 2nd pick to say the bulls for their 16th pick + Tyrus Thomas and could still draft a stud like lawson

It will be interesting to see who the raptors draft.

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
another guy that is being highly overlooked is bj mullens. Nbadraft has him going in the mid teens.

He is going to be a steal of a pick if someone takes him in the mid teens

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:35 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I also like many of the unc boys in this draft like lawson.

Griffin , Kaman, Thornton , brand if they can gel could be next nuggets team

Elton Brand signed with the Sixers last off-season and somewhat played for them this year, maybe you mean Zach Randolph?

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
another guy that is being highly overlooked is bj mullens. Nbadraft has him going in the mid teens.

He is going to be a steal of a pick if someone takes him in the mid teens

Mullens is not NBA ready. He is a project all the way...and I think he will continue to be a project for his whole career.

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Question, why do people seem to think Jrue Holiday is going to be a bust? 
do it