Author Topic: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs  (Read 17243 times)

Re: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So, what do people think about Nick Calathes?

I have to admit that I don`t know much (may be an understatement) about this year`s class, but I liked what I saw from him in highlight clips. Good size, excellent passer, very good at changing the pace.

Anyone?

Calathes was a stud in college, but I think he can benefit being in college 1 more year, but as he is now, he'll be a fair rookie, turning into a starter a few years down the road, will be like Wally Szczerbiak (do i get a TP if this is how u actually spell his name? i didn't look it up btw) in his prime (back with the t-wolves). He'll be less strong, but with better ball skills (6'6 can play both guard positions)

As for everyone else, Blake Griffin is the ROY handsdown already, he will be an Elton Brand type player I reckon.

and Rubio is going to be a dud.

Hasheem is not going to be a dud, nor a stud, but a solid starter in the league for some good years.

and of course, it is my job to bring up an aussie, Patrick Mills, who will be a steal in the late first round.

tp for spelling....a woefully lost art in today's blogging world....

and, as the saying goes....

"we have all heard how a million monkeys on a million typewriters could eventually reproduce the works of shakespeare. but now, thanks to the internet, we know that is not true."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 05:26:48 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
So, what do people think about Nick Calathes?

I have to admit that I don`t know much (may be an understatement) about this year`s class, but I liked what I saw from him in highlight clips. Good size, excellent passer, very good at changing the pace.

Anyone?

He reminds me a lot of the prototypical European big leading guard - a guy like Papaloukas, for example. His game is much better suited to the European basketball than to the NBA - he can't defend NBA PGs (and he'd be a liability defending any other position) and it'd be a waste to play him at a different position.

He's going to sign with an European club and I think that's a very wise decision of him.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I have a feeling Rubio will help a team on offense very quickly.  He needs to be on a team with some intimidating interior defenders so that the N.B.A. fastest PG's won't make mincemeat of him on defense during his first couple of years.

Precisely the opposite. Rubio will help a team with his defence.

I was assuming he was too small and light to be a good N.B.A. defender. 

He's 6'4'', 200 lbs and only 18 years old. He's going to be one of the biggest PGs in the league.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Duds

Ricky Rubio - Next coming of the steve nash you see today and not 3 years ago. Remember how legendary rudy fernadez said everyone was?? I don't think he will have the physical capabilities to be able to defend guys like rondo, fight through screens etc. Also he is just an ok shooter and his hocus pocus driving moves won't work in the nba. If memphis passes i think he could drop far like gerald green

When did Rudy Fernandez call us legends? That's awesome, we are legendary.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Duds

Ricky Rubio - Next coming of the steve nash you see today and not 3 years ago. Remember how legendary rudy fernadez said everyone was?? I don't think he will have the physical capabilities to be able to defend guys like rondo, fight through screens etc. Also he is just an ok shooter and his hocus pocus driving moves won't work in the nba. If memphis passes i think he could drop far like gerald green

I AM LEGEND!

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think Demarr Derozen will be the next Gerald Green. He's overhyped. He has a very low bballIQ and gets by with pure athleticism. I think its very likely that he's a bust. Not even a lottery pick, in my opinion.

Blake Griffin will be a good player. I think Kenyon Martin is a pretty fair comparison. Not a franchise player but definitely someone who can contribute. Obviously the best player in a weak draft.

PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Duds

I AM LEGEND!

walked out of I AM Legend when Sam died

great rap lyric!

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 01:32:32 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Thabeet will be a bust. I'd like to see the Thunder draft Harden.
He's gonna be a really good player multi allstar just not who they need

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 06:26:58 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
TP for everyone who took the time to answer my question.
These highlight clips are really not a viable measuring tool
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have a feeling Rubio will help a team on offense very quickly.  He needs to be on a team with some intimidating interior defenders so that the N.B.A. fastest PG's won't make mincemeat of him on defense during his first couple of years.

He's 6'4'', 200 lbs and only 18 years old. He's going to be one of the biggest PGs in the league.

Yes, I checked his size after my last post.  So I guess it boils down to photos I've seen in which he looks rail thin.  6'4 and 180 pounds according to draft express.  But I know you either live in Europe or have major Euro access so I'll guess he's gone up to 200 lbs as you say.  I'm wondering how much stronger he'll get.  And basically how physical he'll be (will he be special in that sense like Rondo, taking contact all over the place?)

Regardless, my sizing error makes my concern (and others?) about strength seem a bit extreme for an 18 year old PG.  For a team with patience I don't see how picking Rubio is an error.  He dropped to 4th or 5th on Draft Express.  Seem like a mistake imo...Should definitely be picked #2.

As you say, the concern is not his defense but various aspects of his game on offense.  If he were in the U.S. he'd be a senior in high school.  I don't get the "bust" talk or the skepticism.
I'll chalk it up to him being from Europe. 

High IQ and works hard at the game.  Playing pro ball for x number of years.  18 years old.  Enough said?

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

He's going to sign with an European club and I think that's a very wise decision of him.

They say it`s panathinaikos

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090523/ARTICLES/905239929/1136?Title=Calathes-to-play-in-Greece

This won`t happen unless Panathinaikos doesn`t keep Jasikevicius or Spanoulis ....

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

They say it`s panathinaikos

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090523/ARTICLES/905239929/1136?Title=Calathes-to-play-in-Greece

This won`t happen unless Panathinaikos doesn`t keep Jasikevicius or Spanoulis ....

I knew it was Panathinaikos and it already happened  ;). I think they'll eventually re-sign Saras; if not, they're replace him with a better player. Calathes is nowhere near ready to break Obradovic's rotation, he'll be replacing Kecman, who's surely leaving. They also signed Milenko Tepic yesterday: two young players who can play multiple backcourt positions. Next season, their backourt will be: Spanoulis, Nicholas, Perperoglour and Diamantidis rotating. Then Jasikevicius and Tepic backing them up. Verginis and Calathes adding depth. If Hatzivrettas stays, one of the youngsters will be loaned to a minor team, probably Calathes.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yes, I checked his size after my last post.  So I guess it boils down to photos I've seen in which he looks rail thin.  6'4 and 180 pounds according to draft express.  But I know you either live in Europe or have major Euro access so I'll guess he's gone up to 200 lbs as you say.  I'm wondering how much stronger he'll get.  And basically how physical he'll be (will he be special in that sense like Rondo, taking contact all over the place?)

Regardless, my sizing error makes my concern (and others?) about strength seem a bit extreme for an 18 year old PG.  For a team with patience I don't see how picking Rubio is an error.  He dropped to 4th or 5th on Draft Express.  Seem like a mistake imo...Should definitely be picked #2.

As you say, the concern is not his defense but various aspects of his game on offense.  If he were in the U.S. he'd be a senior in high school.  I don't get the "bust" talk or the skepticism.

High IQ and works hard at the game.  Playing pro ball for x number of years.  18 years old.  Enough said?

The biggest problem with Rubio is that he played his best basketball in January/February 2008. This was a lost season for him. He still has severe flaws in his skill-set that will make it hard form him to translate his game to the NBA. He should stay another year in Europe working on his jump-shot, on his off-the-ball defence and on his body strength.

He wants to play for Sacramento, he very probably won't join Memphis or Oklahoma if they draft him.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

He isn't a okay shooter but a rather pedestrian one. He can only shoot a slow and low-release set jump-shot. On the other hand, he's an excellent on-the-ball defender and superb playing the passing lanes. His off-the-ball defence it's pretty bad though.

About Rudy Fernandez: As I wrote several times here, during the off-season, that he was being way overhyped. The only people giving him legendary status were fans that had only seen him playing the Olympics Final.

Omri casspi - looks like a better hedo torkulu. At 6'8 he can defend, shoot, drive in plus looks aggressive. Seen numerous clips and looks like he will be a real good nba pro. Danny should try all in his power to obtain a late draft pick and get this guy.

A better Hedo Turkoglu would be a top-5 pick in this draft. Casspi isn't even similar to Turkoglu. He isn't a playmaker, his shooting is subpar, his ball-handling raw and he can't create his shot. He's a high energy, athletic tweener.

I'd be curious to hear your comparison of Casspi and Jerebko, if you have one, in terms of future role playing potential.  Could Jerebko be better than Kleiza?  I like the profile of Jerebko on Draft Express but don't get to watch Euro bball...

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

The biggest problem with Rubio is that he played his best basketball in January/February 2008. This was a lost season for him. He still has severe flaws in his skill-set that will make it hard form him to translate his game to the NBA. He should stay another year in Europe working on his jump-shot, on his off-the-ball defence and on his body strength.

He wants to play for Sacramento, he very probably won't join Memphis or Oklahoma if they draft him.

Would that amount to a Yi Jianlian situation or would this be a simpler refusal?