Author Topic: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs  (Read 17294 times)

Re: 2009 draft studs, duds and underdogs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Blake Griffin = a bigger Millsap and a better finisher in the paint?

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
So, what do people think about Nick Calathes?

I have to admit that I don`t know much (may be an understatement) about this year`s class, but I liked what I saw from him in highlight clips. Good size, excellent passer, very good at changing the pace.

Anyone?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Other than Blake this draft is pretty weak, but it is deep. Some later 1rst round picks will be better than the 4-8 picks.

It be nice if the Celt could get in the 20-30 pick range, as I think they could steal a really good player like Hansbrough or Chase Budinger.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 11:06:24 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

I have to admit that I don`t know much (may be an understatement) about this year`s class, but I liked what I saw from him in highlight clips. Good size, excellent passer, very good at changing the pace.

Anyone?
I was just reading about him from the Espn insider. He could be a steal. They said he was pretty impressive and has good size for a PG. They said he needed to bulk up and work on his NBA 3 point shot.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:15:33 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man

Anyone?

Calathes was a stud in college, but I think he can benefit being in college 1 more year, but as he is now, he'll be a fair rookie, turning into a starter a few years down the road, will be like Wally Szczerbiak (do i get a TP if this is how u actually spell his name? i didn't look it up btw) in his prime (back with the t-wolves). He'll be less strong, but with better ball skills (6'6 can play both guard positions)

As for everyone else, Blake Griffin is the ROY handsdown already, he will be an Elton Brand type player I reckon.

and Rubio is going to be a dud.

Hasheem is not going to be a dud, nor a stud, but a solid starter in the league for some good years.

and of course, it is my job to bring up an aussie, Patrick Mills, who will be a steal in the late first round.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:31 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Duds

Rubio.  Next great thing? Wasnt impressive in the olympics and anyone can dominate the Euro leagues (Marc Gasol did). 

And Gasol turned out to be one of the most effective rookies this year.

depends how you look at it, he struggled big time against teams with solid big men.

Most rookie big men do.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 03:03:10 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Rubio is a machine, the biggest talent in Spain since Gasol. And for those judging his last tournament with the Spanish team...keep in mind he was 17 ::) He is a student of the game, has awesome fundamentals and loves the game. He will be important in the league

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 06:54:10 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117

Anyone?

Calathes was a stud in college, but I think he can benefit being in college 1 more year, but as he is now, he'll be a fair rookie, turning into a starter a few years down the road, will be like Wally Szczerbiak (do i get a TP if this is how u actually spell his name? i didn't look it up btw) in his prime (back with the t-wolves). He'll be less strong, but with better ball skills (6'6 can play both guard positions)

As for everyone else, Blake Griffin is the ROY handsdown already, he will be an Elton Brand type player I reckon.

and Rubio is going to be a dud.

Hasheem is not going to be a dud, nor a stud, but a solid starter in the league for some good years.

and of course, it is my job to bring up an aussie, Patrick Mills, who will be a steal in the late first round.

Calethas and Wally have nothing in common in terms of basketball skills or style. The kid from Florida should remind people of our general manager - 6'5", projects as a shooting guard but can backup the point, good shooter, heady player. Count me very interested.

As much as it would burn Atlanta fans, I think they should trade Josh Smith for the number 2 pick. Atlanta would be $15 million under the cap this off season, more then enough to land Okur or Varejao, and size matters in the playoffs. Adding a big young point to that athletic group (Smith, Williams, Horford) and bringing back Childress would really set them up for success.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have a feeling Rubio will help a team on offense very quickly.  He needs to be on a team with some intimidating interior defenders so that the N.B.A. fastest PG's won't make mincemeat of him on defense during his first couple of years.

Precisely the opposite. Rubio will help a team with his defence.

I was assuming he was too small and light to be a good N.B.A. defender.  Good to hear.  If what you say is true then he will make a great pick at #2.  Especially considering his supposed IQ.  I think the prediction that he'll be in the second tier of PG's fairly quickly sounds about right, and maybe in 5 years he'll be top 5.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Blake Griffin = a bigger Millsap and a better finisher in the paint?

I don't think he is bigger than Millsap.  I would not be surprised if he is 6'7".  He is a much better athlete though.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Chase Budinger's career will mirror almost identically Brent Barry's. I am calling it now and have called it before.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the top of the draft has a lot of steady players but not many studs.

Studs:

Griffin, Thabeet, Rubio, Harden,

Steady guys

Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Blair, Curry, Hansborough

Duds:

Jordan Hill, Demar Derozen, Jrue Holiday, BJ Mullens,

Sleepers/underdogs:

James Johnson, Chase Budinger, Wayne Ellington, Paddy Mills.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Thabeet may not wind up a bust but I think he'll be slow to develop at first.  Jayson Blair already showed everyone how people will attack Thabeet in the pros - a LOT of his blocks came from guys being scared to come at him in college.  Won't happen in the NBA.  He'll suffer from Shawn Bradley syndrome too where everyone and their brother will be lining up to try and posterize him.

Harden on the other hand screams bust to me - I didn't see much of him, but he reminds me of a less motivated Antoine Walker.  I think he'll be a tweener in the league and struggle to score efficiently, and will need a lot of work to be an effective defender.

I can't believe how much people are sleeping on Lawson - I watch a ton of Cuse and UNC basketball, and as much as I love Flynn I think Lawson might well wind up the better player in the long run.  Comparable speed and shooting, and better decision making in the clutch.  I think he might wind up in Phoenix and he'd be a great fit there.  Both Lawson and Flynn will be very good, maybe borderline All-Stars.

For a sleeper, I hope we can find a way to pick up Danny Green in the 2nd rd somewhere.  He's got some flaws, but has good size and athleticism, does everything on the court fairly well and will be a great glue guy.  Some smart team will snap him up, and I hope it's us.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I think Thabeets ceiling is Dalambert

I think Blair is gonna be a great pro

I think Tyreke Evans is gonna be the surprise of this years drat with Johnny Flynn being a suprise in the mold of Aaron brooks this year

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I think that Sam Young will be a top 5 player from this draft when we are talking about it 5 years from now.

Budinger has a sweet stroke off of the catch and off of the dribble. Great athleticism. Saw him get lazy on defense, but he suffered greatly from the 1-3-1 zone. I think he got lulled to sleep in it.

Harden screams bust. He just doesn't have the speed to get by NBA defenders like he did in college. His strength also will not be put to good use because he won't get by the initial line of defense!

Terrance Williams, Derrick Brown, and Lawson are guys that I like.

Jrue Holiday: surefire bust. I will laugh at whoever picks this kid, and I bet it ain't danny.

Calathes: another stiff.