Author Topic: See what happens when Cavs play competition  (Read 43241 times)

Re: See what happens when Cavs play competition
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
one thing that ORL did that is big IMO is turning LeBron into a jump-shooter.

it's not an easy  strategy to stick to when he is knocking down the shots like he was, but you have to stick to it.

making LeBron a jump shooter has two benefits. One at some point he will start missing. and two, it totally takes the rest of his team out of the game. they end up just standing around watching him hoist up these shots.

when Bron is a driver, the Cavs become much more dangerous.

i also liked SVG move to put Lee at PG. CLE likes to run that two man game with Mo trying to get Bron matched up on the other teams PG and Lee is big enough to not make that an overwhelming mismatch.

the question for ORL is going to be how many games in the series are they going to be knock down big shots like they did tonight. as we know they are very streaky.

if they are knocking down shots, this could be a great chess match of a series.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 12:54:08 AM »

Offline Taklamar

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
" I keep telling people Cavs are not that great, they are a good team, but the real numbers and statistics don't back them up."

Only 4 teams had a +net scoring versus top 10 teams;
Lakers  +6.5 (wow)
Cavs    +4.3
Orlando +2.4
Boston  +2.3

Their offensive effciency was #4 in the league, Defensive #3.

I'd say they're a very good to great team.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 12:54:34 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
They play well as a team but they don't have enough great players to qualify them as a great team. If the Cavs go on to win the title nobody will put them in the same class as the 72-10 Bulls team or the 85-86 Celtic team.

We lost our best player and still could put 2 all-stars and 2 potential all-stars on the court. Imagine if Cleveland lost their best player. They would be playing with Mo Willaims, Delonte, Wally, Verajao, and Ilgauskus..ouch. Even if the Lakers lost Kobe they would still have Gasol, Odom, and Bynum (if healthy) to rely on.

That being said, I have to give credit to Lebron for having his team 74-16 prior to this game. I can't remember a player leading his team to a higher winning pct with lesser talent. The players they have are solid players but seriously no player on that team outside of Lebron would crack the C's starting lineup. I hate the Cavs and Lebron but I do try to give credit where credit is due.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 12:55:39 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Also, this is celticsblog not cavsblog, it seems there are more people on here ready to defend the Cavs as to what I have to say, then their own team the Celtics.  I'm not typing these stats on cavsblog I wouldn't do that because I do not root for them and it wouldn't be fair to their fans.  I am typing this on celticsblog.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Also, this is celticsblog not cavsblog, it seems there are more people on here ready to defend the Cavs as to what I have to say, then their own team the Celtics.  I'm not typing these stats on cavsblog I wouldn't do that because I do not root for them and it wouldn't be fair to their fans.  I am typing this on celticsblog.
thanks
but i think its fair for anyone to root for any one
p.s. i root cavs for delonte
as usual star ure frer to root fot the team u like

thanks

edgar
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 02:41:43 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Eh I just dislike the Cavaliers with such an intense passion, because I hate LeBron so much. I could care less if the Lakers or Magic win it, I won't be able to watch basketball if every team rolls over and dies so LeRoid can win his ring. He's a macho ****k who deserves nothing on a joke of a team.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:31:49 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
I dislike Lebron with the same intensity that I dislike Peyton Manning... players who were given the "super star" label way too early, and included into discussions of all time bests without ever winning a championship.

Add to that the fact that Cleveland's offense is about as exiting as watching paint dry (Lebron at half court for 20 seconds, then he drives the lane, either kicks out, goes for the lay up, or get the free throws), and the fact that most people there don't even care much for basketball, only about Lebron, and I want them to fail badly.

I mean, an arena where the PA guy has to keep chanting "defense" because otherwise the building would be silent has no business raising a banner.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 04:51:32 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Game 2 will be a blowout for the Cavs methinks.

Just out of curiosity, why is everyone cheering the Magic? They have no chance against the Lakers if they beat the Cavs.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 05:10:27 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Why do people say a team has no chance.  ORL is 2-0 vs LA this year, and there is a chance Jameer plays in NBA finals, plus LA might not even get there, DEN may beat them. I'm sure many people said ORL has no chance against CLE.  Anybody realize if ORL wins Game 2 there is a great chance of a sweep. 

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 05:31:11 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
1960 PIT got no chance against NYY, 1969 NYJ got no chance against BAL, 1969 NYM got no chance against BAL, 1985 Villanova has no chance against Georgetown, 2008 BOS has no chance against LAL, 1983 NC State has no chance against Houston, 1997 DEN got no chance against GB, 2007 NYG got no chance against NE, 1988 LAD got no chance against OAK, 1985 KC got no chance against STL, 2004 BOS got no chance against NYY, 1977 POR has no chance against PHI, 1982 CAL got no chance against Stanford, 1776 USA got no chance against ENG, Doug Flutie got no chance against Miami, etc.   Why did the Magic even play Cavs in Game 1.  Why didn't we leave Lebron on the court by himself to stand still there and run out the clock for 48 minutes so we could all salivate over him. Why don't they just hand him the trophy already and take the NBA Playoffs off the air so we could watch Daffy Duck cartoons instead?

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

While we're all (or almost all) Celtics fans first, a lot of us are fairly objective.  It's one thing to say that the Celtics are as good as or better than the Cavs when healthy; I believe that.  It's quite another to say the Cavs just aren't very good.  I disagree with that strongly.  They won 66 games, had a top-five defense, and beat us soundly twice.  They took us to seven games last year, and they've improved their team since that time.  They lost two games all year in the regular season, including one they gave away without Lebron on the last day of the season; otherwise they would have been 41-1, tied with the '86 Celtics for the best record in history.

So, I think that's why you're getting some resistance from our membership.  People don't want to ignore reality.  However, I haven't studied the Cavs schedule as closely as you have, so I won't weigh in on all of your conclusions.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
would have been nice to be healthy....no doubt in my mind boston would have been the #1 seed...had homecourt and beaten the cavs or magic

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 07:50:13 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
would have been nice to be healthy....no doubt in my mind boston would have been the #1 seed...had homecourt and beaten the cavs or magic

I'm in that boat too. But part of winning championships and being good is staying healthy. We were healthy last year and won a championship. Diffrent story this year.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
If Orlando wins Game 2 its a sweep.  4-0.  I keep telling people Cavs are not that great, they are a good team, but the real numbers and statistics don't back them up.  They have been playing some of the worst competition ever.  They lost at home, with Mo hitting that ridiculous 3 and Lebron scoring almost 50 points.   LETS GO MAGIC!!!!
I don't feel they are that great either...they are a good team but i feel they can be beaten in a 7game series.This is the first real test this playoffs.If the Celtics had been healthy all season,whose to say we couldn't have won 67plus games?I still see a team that depends primary on 1 player(Lebron)to win games.They all go to their spots and watch him go one on one a lot of the time.The offense slows down and a good defense can eventually stop them.If Mo and Delonte are not on then its really a lot of Lebron aganist 5...and as far as his theactrics  towards the end of the game with his supposedly cramping,"dudes faking it",all drama.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:56:52 AM by housecall »

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Well at one point the 1985-86-87 Celtics were 97-3 at home so its going to be tough for the Cavs to tie that record.