Author Topic: Terminator Salvation (2009)  (Read 3344 times)

Terminator Salvation (2009)
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This new Terminator flick is opening this week.

Anyone going to check it out during premiere weekend? Looks like it will be decent and not a total flop like T3: Rise of the Robots.

Here's a recent article: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246950_20263258_20279117,00.html

Re: Terminator Salvation (2009)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm interested, but limited time doesn't let me see all of the flicks I'd like to.

Rather see Star Trek first I think.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'll see it, either this weekend or next. 

(Also, I didn't actually mind T3.  I thought it was decent enough, at least to get the old nostalgia juices flowing.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It looks really dark from the trailers.  I'm surprised how dark it looks.  Kinda reminds me of Gears of War.

I was interested in seeing it, but the early reviews are that it's garbage.  Bummer.   Looks like we're 1/3 so far.  Star Trek was good... Wolverine and this aint so much.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw it this weekend, and I liked it a lot.  It's not perfect by any stretch (there are a few plot holes and silly decisions), and it's clear that this is the first movie in a trilogy (not a ton happens that's of any real substance), but I thought it was interesting enough, and the action was great.

I'm not always a huge fan of "spectacle" movies (I hated Transformers and X-men 3), but this was worth seeing in the theaters.

(My girlfriend, though, didn't enjoy it, although she thoughts some of the robot special effects were cool.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I do not understand the criticisms of this movie.  I thought it was much, much better than the reviews are making it out to be.  Christian Bale was excellent as Connor, the revelation of the latest terminator model (T-800) was fantastic.  The effects and action sequences were absolutely phenomenal.  And lastly, the time travel logic of the franchise completely makes sense in this movie and holds up under close examination if you take the time to reason it out (can't really go into all of it without spoiling anything).  The way they work with the continuity of the big picture is really cool.

If you like this genre, I don't see any possible way you wouldn't like it.  A lot.  Saw Star Trek opening night as well.  Very good sci-fi film in its own right.  But T:S is the best movie of the year, bar none.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:24:51 AM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:05:28 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
T3 was cheesy for sure.  It can't stand ground with the first and second one.  It's not even close.  With that said, I liked the overall story.  It ties the trilogy together really well.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I do not understand the criticisms of this movie.  I thought it was much, much better than the reviews are making it out to be.  Christian Bale was excellent as Connor, the revelation of the latest terminator model (T-800) was fantastic.  The effects and action sequences were absolutely phenomenal.  And lastly, the time travel logic of the franchise completely makes sense in this movie and holds up under close examination if you take the time to reason it out (can't really go into all of it without spoiling anything).  The way they work with the continuity of the big picture is really cool.

If you like this genre, I don't see any possible way you wouldn't like it.  A lot.  Saw Star Trek opening night as well.  Very good sci-fi film in its own right.  But T:S is the best movie of the year, bar none.
I just came away disappointed. There were so many more things they could have done with the plot. The entire main idea of the movie besides it being set when John Conner was an adult was weak. The dialogue was terrible. Some things just didn't make sense, how come sometimes the robots were indestructible and sometimes they were easily destroyed. SPOILER ALERT and why did the robots not just kill John Conner and his dad when inside Sky Net, keeping the dad in a holding cell was absurd. The robots had no problem killing everyone else. The hybrid guy would have been eliminated as soon as he decided to act against the robots. How did his heart work for John when the terminator already crushed it?
I am a big fan of the series and I probably judged the movie harshly because I am a fan. It's just with such a good series they could have done so much better.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought this movie was more powerful than anything else.

It wasn't really about Man Vs Robots or the "end of the world".

It was more about finding humanity and saving one's self.

I also would like to stress that, IMO, people need to cut Christian Bale some slack because this is the 2nd film he has helped "put over" another actor.

Bale may be a jerk when he is trying his best to perfect his art, but he is as selfless as an actor as there is. He's helped "put over" Ledger in the Dark Knight and helped "put over"  Sam Worthington in T: Salvation.