Author Topic: Angels and Demons  (Read 5144 times)

Angels and Demons
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im planning on catching this movie this weekend.  without giving away anything.....anyone here see it.  if so, and again without giving anything away, how was it?   better than da vinci code?

Re: Angels and Demons
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I read the book, and it was decent.  Same basic plot structure as the Da Vinci code, but interesting and fast paced (although unrealistic in parts).

I can't help on the movie, but let me know if it's any good.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i thought da vinci code was crappy... i hear this one is just as crappy. 

But the first one made buttloads of money (highest grossing film of Tom's career) thanks to the whole jesus angle (anything with a jesus-angle makes buttloads of money... like "Passion of the Christ") so they gave Tom Hanks some record amount of cash to do the sequel.  ". Its April 11, 2007 announcement revealed that Hanks would reprise his role as Robert Langdon, and that he would reportedly receive the highest salary ever for an actor which is between $30–35 million plus an estimated 10-15% percentage of the movie's revenue"

I'm not sure why they did that.  Part of the reason Da Vinci Code made so much money was because of the absurd hype surrounding the book.  Nobody gives a crap about Angels and Demons.  I can't see it making that much money.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I haven't seen it but from what I've
heard and read, it's worse than TDVC.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
The books were fun, as long as they're taken for what they are - fiction. The films are awful, however.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
interesting responses, and i thank u all.  from the people who have seen it that i know, they all said it was good.  they said some parts are far fetched, but it was still very interesting and entertaining.  im pretty excited to see it.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I liked it better than the da vinci code, and I liked the Da vinci code book better than angels and demons.

I mean, I'd recommend Star Trek over it (even knowning your particular preference, DL), but its worth a watch. Better than Da Vinci Code IMO, but both stories kinda annoy you with "leaps" they make (back in time? Didn't hear it from me.)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was a big fan of the books and think this adaptation was awful. Much of what Brown brings to the book is the intellectual questions of faith and the question of faith vs science all rapped up into an action, adventure, who-dun-it. The movies remove all the intellectual questions, well this one did way more so than The Da Vinci Code did.

In doing so, they made it boring. In this movie even more so because the subtleties of bringing in a Symbologist are wasted because he uses so little of that intelligence and wisdom that is special to his field. The movie becomes nothing more than a less interesting version of any other action adventure movie but with a way wimpier hero.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:52:52 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
For what it's worth, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was 10x better.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:51 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Not the best movie I've seen, but at least one of the most entertaining I've seen lately

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
I watched this for the second time last night and I have to say I actually did enjoy it a lot more second time round. Sentimental for me though as I really loved Rome when I was there and this movie reminds me of that.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Did you read the book before watching?
I had the same feeling with both films (a&d and davinci code)

The first view was disappointing cause subconsciously i compared the movie to the book (the book always wins)

But the second without expectations was more entertaining

PS it`s not easy not to love Rome

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
im planning on catching this movie this weekend.  without giving away anything.....anyone here see it.  if so, and again without giving anything away, how was it?   better than da vinci code?

I wouldn't spend any money to see it.  The books for both were great, but the movies absolutely sucked.  I recommend reading the books instead.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I enjoyed it. Never read the book but I actually liked The DaVinci Code too. Liked it a little more than this but i think simply because the particular religious storyline was so intriguing to me. It's done so-so here in the US but outside the country it is raking in cash right now.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:12 AM »

Offline belgian c fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Did you read the book before watching?
I had the same feeling with both films (a&d and davinci code)

The first view was disappointing cause subconsciously i compared the movie to the book (the book always wins)

But the second without expectations was more entertaining

PS it`s not easy not to love Rome

Try visiting Rome during the summer or spring hollidays. It becomes rather easy not to like the city.