Poll

Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?

Powe
56 (88.9%)
Pruitt
2 (3.2%)
Neither
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?  (Read 14663 times)

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The smart thing to do would be to keep Pruitt. If he works out, great. If not, cut him in January and sign Powe, who would still probably be recovering from injury.

The risk there, obviously, is that some other team offers Powe a deal and we lose him.  I wouldn't take that chance.  I wouldn't disrespect Powe by penny-pinching him based upon the chance that a guy like Pruitt could work out.

I can't see any team offering Powe much before he shows that he's healthy. And a full recovery would mean that he'd be much better in 10-11 than in 09-10. Who's going to offer a decent deal to a backup player who's still recovering from his third knee operation?

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The smart thing to do would be to keep Pruitt. If he works out, great. If not, cut him in January and sign Powe, who would still probably be recovering from injury.

The risk there, obviously, is that some other team offers Powe a deal and we lose him.  I wouldn't take that chance.  I wouldn't disrespect Powe by penny-pinching him based upon the chance that a guy like Pruitt could work out.

I can't see any team offering Powe much before he shows that he's healthy. And a full recovery would mean that he'd be much better in 10-11 than in 09-10. Who's going to offer a decent deal to a backup player who's still recovering from his third knee operation?

If teams are willing to sign Darius Miles, I can see them taking a 1-and-1 minimum deal flyer on Powe, who has proven to be a better player in recent years.  I doubt it would be a contender, but for some team near the bottom of the standings, why not try to get a good role player like Powe on the cheap?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'd rather use Pruitt's roster spot on a better player. Gabe's had two years to crack the rotation and can't. Time to move on.

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
this isn't even a legitimate question.

why in the world would you value pruitt over leon powe? one is a practice player and the other is aa major contributor off the bench. non-issue. i was amazed to even see this non-question warrant a thread.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
i was amazed to even see this non-question warrant a thread.

Well, we'll see what decision the team makes in the off-season.  I don't think the question will be as clear-cut for management as it has been on the blog so far.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If teams are willing to sign Darius Miles, I can see them taking a 1-and-1 minimum deal flyer on Powe, who has proven to be a better player in recent years.  I doubt it would be a contender, but for some team near the bottom of the standings, why not try to get a good role player like Powe on the cheap?

Nobody signed Miles until he was able to play. His first contract was with us and non-guaranteed. His 2nd came, I think, months later. I just don't see Powe getting guaranteed money when he's still rehabbing his knee and not able to play.

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
I don't think the Celtics need a 3rd string PG, especially if they sign Marbury.
House is a legit option as a PG, I like him as the second option as a SG and bring him in to run some point if needed.

I have no intrest in Gabe as a Celtic.

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
i was amazed to even see this non-question warrant a thread.

Well, we'll see what decision the team makes in the off-season.  I don't think the question will be as clear-cut for management as it has been on the blog so far.

mr. roy - i'll agree with you on that statement.
no telling what goes thru danny's head sometimes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
There's nothing Pruitt can do in the summer league that'll make him better than Powe...

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
All I know is that if the salary (plus luxury tax) for guys like Pruitt and TA keep us from resigning BBD, IŽd be mad as hell.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:10:20 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Hell I think pruitt is a good project (better than giddens)_ and can help but leon leon leon
I'll take a busted up leon over pruitt, marbury, moore, DAVIS, giddens and Tony Allen.
It actually makes it easy, before the injury we had 2 undersized pf with trade value, now davis is gonna get too  much $$$ and Leon can be had for cheap.
Sign and  trade davis.  Look to a vet pf/c and let leon come back.  If possible trade ta, giddens, let marbury and maybe moore walk.   We have pruitt has 3rd string pg, house etc etc
give me a few more beers and i'll take danny's job!

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »

Offline waltzero

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Voted neither.

We can easily trade Powe if we include cash, thanks to the economy.

Also because of the economy, the C's won't have to overpay for Baby; I bet he takes a one year deal, looking for more of a payday in 2010.

It's tough because Leon is so awesome for a bench guy, but he won't be healthy for most of next season and we need a deep bench to keep our stars healthy. So the Baby/Leon decision is easy.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics stay away from adding 'projects' and can trim a few 'projects', the Celtics should resign Powe.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:12 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
powe pimpin~

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Leon is my choice hands down.

I really feel like that if Gabe had proven he was verstile enough to play a little two guard or cover an NBA SG then he would be playing and would have had a bigger role going forward.

We needed guard play this year off the bench, especially when TA went down. Gabe just didnt get it done. All we had was Eddie House until Marbury was signed.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku