Poll

Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?

Powe
56 (88.9%)
Pruitt
2 (3.2%)
Neither
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?  (Read 14584 times)

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
If it can only be one of them, then definitely Powe.

I do think Pruitt is fine third string point guard though. I'm comfortable with him returning to fill that role. It's not an either/or decision for me.

How many non-contributors do we keep on the roster, though?  Walker, Giddens, and yes, Pruitt, have shown little so far, to the point where we can't expect much out of them next season.  Tony Allen adds almost nothing.  Powe is out until February.

After this season, I just can't see Danny going into next season with five unproven and/or injured players.

How many players can we realistically add this off season? Like it or not, with the big 3 making so much money the 10-15 spots especially need to be minimum players and that's what Pruitt/Walker/Giddens and Powe (if we resign him) are. We need to worry about filling the 6th man spot and maybe the 7th man spot (although that could be Big Baby if we resign him). House/Marbury(or another free agent)/Scal fill out the 8-10th men spots.

Moreover, as we saw this year with O'Bryant and Cassell, it's not that hard to get rid of these type of players to clear a roster spot. So we can keep them to see if they develop and if not, then by midseason we could trade one of them and clear a spot for a buyout player.

But if it's Powe or Pruitt, I'll keep Powe. Powe has proven to be a difference maker. Pruitt has the talent, but he is too timid to use it. The Celtics will probably evaluate him during t he summer league and if he doesn't show improvement that he might be cut.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Third String Point Guards

Atlanta -- Acie Law + Speedy Claxton
Boston -- Gabe Pruitt
Charlotte -- Sean Singletary
Chicago -- Lindsey Hunter
Cleveland -- don't have or need one due to Delonte
Dallas -- don't have or need one due to Terry
Detroit -- don't have one
Denver -- Jason Hart
Golden State -- don't have one
Houston -- don't have one
Indiana -- Travis Diener
LA Clippers -- Alex Acker
LA Lakers -- Shannon Brown
Memphis -- Mike Wilks
Miami -- Luther Head
Minnesota -- Salim Stoudamire and Damon Jones
Milwaukee -- Bobby Brown or Kevin Ollie
New Jersey -- don't truly have one (CDR forced there, did well enough)
New Orleans -- Sort of, Devin Brown
New York -- don't have one, used Roberson there until traded.
Orlando -- Ty Lue
Oklahoma City -- Shaun Livingston and Chucky Atkins.
Philadelphia -- Royal Ivey
Phoenix Suns -- don't have one.
Portland -- Jerryd Bayless
Sacramento -- Nobody at the end of the season. Waived Will Solomon. Used to have Bobby Brown in the role.
San Antonio -- Jacque Vaughn
Toronto -- Marcus Banks
Utah -- Ronnie Price
Washington -- Mike James and Juan Dixon
Just let me spit out that list first -- how many point guards on that list are large improvements over Gabe Pruitt?

I only rate a handful as being better than Pruitt, and two of those don't belong as third stringers (Bayless + Price).

I'm happy with Gabe Pruitt in this role. I do not think he's a liability as a third string point guard. He's solid -- he plays very good defense and he can shoot the ball.

As you point out, several teams don't have a true third-stringer.  Since we have House, I see no reason to have a third (or fourth) point guard is we re-sign Starbury or bring in another backup PG.  As for the list, though, there are very few players on there who are more unproven than Gabe Pruitt.

I'd rather replace Pruitt's slot with somebody who can actually play.  Pruitt hasn't shown that he can.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Maybe.  I don't think Pruitt has proven anything.  He shot 30.7% in 47 games, and only averaged 3.8 assists per 36 minutes.  I think the Celts can do better.

I'd prefer that the Celtics sign a real backup point guard, and continue to use Eddie as a combo guard, who in turn will be the de facto third string PG.  We don't need Pruitt; all he's doing is wasting a roster spot (and bringing the team negative publicity.)
I've already said it a bunch of times, but I really don't like Eddie House playing off the ball. I'd rather he was dropped from the rotation altogether than playing the off guard position. I only want to see him as the backup point guard.

If he's not the backup point guard, than I'd like to see the team dump him or trade him in order to free up that money (luxury tax payments wise), so that it can be put to better use.

Now since the C's like House off the ball ... and that is a major possibility that House does return and is asked to be the off guard again ... then I have no use for Pruitt or any other third string point guard. House provides more than enough cover.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Pruitt looks pretty darn good compared to the 3rd stringer list.

I think we have to pick and choose where we upgrade. There's only so much money and so many minutes to spread around.

If we some how landed McDyess and Grant Hill in the off season, I'll be more than happy to retain Pruitt as a backup to a backup.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »

Offline silverb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 16
Don't need Pruitt if we have a Starbury with a full summercamp and regular season under him. ;D

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I really, really want them to bring Powe back.  If Gabe has shown enough to bring back too, I'm all for it.  I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is progressing or not.    I really want them to bring Powe back though.  He has worked so hard and gives so much when he is on the court, whether for 5 minutes or 30 minutes.  You know you will get 100%. 

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Powe.

It's a no-brainer, especially if Big Baby doesn't return.  If Powe can be back by next year's playoffs and the team can get legitimate backup center, they really wouldn't miss Baby at all.  Best part would be that Powe can be had for a fraction of what Baby will command. 

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
What about Mario Chalmers as the additional pg? Oh yeah, I forgot he dropped to us, but Danny passed on him for Giddens :(

Fwiw, if we bring back Marbury, there's zero reason to keep Pruitt. If we don;t bring back Marbury, maybe 1%  :P

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If Powe is half the player he was he'd still be twice the player Pruitt has been.

I also think of it this way. For some reason you don't sign one of these guys then you have to play against them when they're all p---ed off.

Who scares you more?  Duh

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This thread is a joke, right?!

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
This thread is a joke, right?!

Just taking the blog's temperature, on which is more valuable: Powe coming off of microfracture surgery (playing half of a season in a best case scenario) or Pruitt.  I'm somewhat surprised that the results are this unanimous, but I'm happy to see it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The smart thing to do would be to keep Pruitt. If he works out, great. If not, cut him in January and sign Powe, who would still probably be recovering from injury.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

The smart thing to do would be to keep Pruitt. If he works out, great. If not, cut him in January and sign Powe, who would still probably be recovering from injury.

The risk there, obviously, is that some other team offers Powe a deal and we lose him.  I wouldn't take that chance.  I wouldn't disrespect Powe by penny-pinching him based upon the chance that a guy like Pruitt could work out.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Isn't that the discussion that we had last offseason? I think it is pretty clear we have our answer. He's just not very good. Not terrible, but not worth keeping on the roster.

Powe on the other hand can become a great player for years if he recovers. He is a legitimate starter at best, great backup at worst. If I am rolling dice, he's the one. Safe bet.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:42 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
give me a one legged powe over pruitt any day of the week and twice on sunday