Author Topic: Don't Draft this year  (Read 6420 times)

Don't Draft this year
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Executive says
This could be one of the worst drafts ever," said the president. "Of course, we're coming off two pretty good drafts."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2009/05/16/2009-05-16_kings_hoping_to_hit_lottery.html

No more projects. Lets load up on proven guys.

Re: Don
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Re: Don't Draft this year
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Wow, good year not to have a draft pick I guess.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This is the first draft in a while I don't really want to draft.

However, I would mind grabbing Williams, atleast I think it's williams, the Shooting from Arizona.

Every draft has its gems no matter how much of a crap shoot it is.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Wow, good year not to have a draft pick I guess.

Yeah, this is a good year not to have a pick. And we dont need anymore projects. We have 3 already: Pruitt, Giddens, Walker - thats as many as there should ever be on a championship caliber team.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
This draft is FARRRRRRRRRRRR from weak! There might not be a Kobe or Wade in it but there are alot of GOOD players that can make impacts, especially on a team like ours.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
This draft is FARRRRRRRRRRRR from weak! There might not be a Kobe or Wade in it but there are alot of GOOD players that can make impacts, especially on a team like ours.

This draft is weak.  There's Blake Griffin, some would say Ricky Rubio, and then there's everyone else.  The draft beyond pick #2 is very much a crapshoot.  The only non-Griffin lottery pick I like a lot is Tyreke Evans, and even he's a bit of a gamble.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Sure there will be some good players... but they'll need time to develop. We don't have room on this roster for more projects. We need legitimate top 9 rotation cracking players - most likely found in free agency.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
WESLEY MATTHEWS!

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday

This draft is weak.  There's Blake Griffin, some would say Ricky Rubio, and then there's everyone else.  The draft beyond pick #2 is very much a crapshoot.  The only non-Griffin lottery pick I like a lot is Tyreke Evans, and even he's a bit of a gamble.

No, it's not. There are players that could go in the second round and have better careers than Griffin aka Poor Man's Beasley.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Quote from: Danny Ainge
“Right now we’re taking a big look at the draft to see what might be there for us. We’re checking to see if there are any players we might want to trade up for.” . . .

Stay away from the draft, Danny.  We don't need any more projects that aren't going to see playing time.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
“Right now we’re taking a big look at the draft to see what might be there for us. We’re checking to see if there are any players we might want to trade up for.” . . .

Stay away from the draft, Danny.  We don't need any more projects that aren't going to see playing time.

Well, it depends on who we keep. If Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, Davis and Powe walk (or, say, 4 out of 5), there's enough room to another project. Some guys are good enough to play for a contending team - Ainge just picked the wrong ones last year if the goal was to have them contributing.

That said, the only late 2nd guy I'm coveting is Jrue Holiday (who, btw, is more of a long term project). I don't believe he falls as far as the mock drafts are predicting though. But if I had to spend a few millions to have him filling Pruitt/Marbury spot I'd do it in a heartbeat.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Well, it depends on who we keep. If Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, Davis and Powe walk (or, say, 4 out of 5), there's enough room to another project. Some guys are good enough to play for a contending team - Ainge just picked the wrong ones last year if the goal was to have them contributing.

That said, the only late 2nd guy I'm coveting is Jrue Holiday (who, btw, is more of a long term project). I don't believe he falls as far as the mock drafts are predicting though. But if I had to spend a few millions to have him filling Pruitt/Marbury spot I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but what are the chances that Giddens and Walker are gone?  Giddens has a guaranteed contract, and Walker has legit talent and is playing on a sweetheart contract.  I agree that if the roster construction changes, we should consider adding a player in the draft.  However, that would necessitate Danny clearing some of the crap off the roster prior to making any draft pick, and I don't see that happening.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

No, it's not. There are players that could go in the second round and have better careers than Griffin aka Poor Man's Beasley.

like who?  are you kidding?  Beasley is like 6-7 outside shooting PF....I like Beasley too, but seriously, did you watch Griffin play at all?  hes a cross between Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.  Hes an absolute monster.  Hes legit 6-9, 6-10 in shoes and is unreasonably strong and athletic.  he can handle the ball, shoot, rebounds like an animal.  He is a no-doubt superstar prospect.

Sure guys this year, in the 2nd round will be as good as some in the first round, but thats more of a knock on this years draft, since the top of the class is so weak.  Harden will suck, Jordan Hill will suck, Earl Clark will suck, James Johnson will suck.  Only guys I'd want are Rubio, Thabeet(only in a good situation, if he were to go to the clippers for example, that would be a nightmare) and Brandon Jennings.  Derozan possibly if he develops a mean streak.  Other than that basically picks outside of the lottery are all about the same.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday

like who?  are you kidding?  Beasley is like 6-7 outside shooting PF....I like Beasley too, but seriously, did you watch Griffin play at all?  hes a cross between Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.  Hes an absolute monster.  Hes legit 6-9, 6-10 in shoes and is unreasonably strong and athletic.  he can handle the ball, shoot, rebounds like an animal.  He is a no-doubt superstar prospect.

Sure guys this year, in the 2nd round will be as good as some in the first round, but thats more of a knock on this years draft, since the top of the class is so weak.  Harden will suck, Jordan Hill will suck, Earl Clark will suck, James Johnson will suck.  Only guys I'd want are Rubio, Thabeet(only in a good situation, if he were to go to the clippers for example, that would be a nightmare) and Brandon Jennings.  Derozan possibly if he develops a mean streak.  Other than that basically picks outside of the lottery are all about the same.

hahaha....first off Griffin CAN NOT shoot the ball period. It's obvious you haven't watched him play in a game. He also can maybe handle the ball against little kids in college but if he tries it in the NBA with what he can do now, defenders will take it from him left and right. Griffin has NBA athleticism, and can rebound but Beasley is and was a more complete player. btw I hate Beasley and Griffin, I think they are both overrated!

Dionte Christmas, AJ Price, Toney Douglas are second round picks if put in the right situation will flourish more than #1 Blakey.

Make sure you subscribe to this thread, so when i'm right you can pay your dues.