Author Topic: What should we read into this quote by Scal?  (Read 14803 times)

Re: What should we read into this quote by Scal?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Supposedly Rondo showed up at the game at 6:50. That's pretty messed up.

If this is true, it's not the first time it happened during the playoffs. If this is true, I hope someone from Celtics' management gets into Rondo's head and makes it clear what is and is not acceptable behavior.

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
where did we hear that rondo showed up at 6:50? is that official? i have not went on any sports related web site other than this one today. i do not deal well the day after a loss!
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
where did we hear that rondo showed up at 6:50? is that official? i have not went on any sports related web site other than this one today. i do not deal well the day after a loss!

+1.

Quote from Dan Shanoff:
"The tyranny of Boston sports upon the rest of us is over. Glorious day! The Celtics were smashed by 20 in a Game 7 in Boston by a team with laughable psychological fortitude. Don't use the 'But there was no KG!' excuse — this team is the epitome of one-and-done. They won't return to the Finals next year, even if KG is totally healthy. The Cavs will only get better. The Magic apparently now own them — and are only getting better. And then, in 2010, Rajon Rondo(notes) will bolt as a free agent to one of the many teams with massive amounts of cap room that won't land LeBron or Wade or Bosh. Oh, sure the Celtics should TRY to win it all next year — they bet the farm before 08-09 on a title run; to their credit, they got it. And, to their credit, a title in '08 is worth more than contending without one for the next 20 years. But the run is effectively over — we all knew it was coming this postseason anyway."

made me throw up in my mouth a little. Seriously.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Chris Sheridan reported it in his ESPN chat:

Nicole (Vermont): I see the biggest question mark of the night is going to be Rajon Rondo... it seems like when he can get the team up and down the court and take the ball to the basket the celtics are unstoppable, what do you think?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: (7:39 PM ET ) I don;t know about him being a question mark. He;s looked pretty steady and outstanding to me. The only thing I'd question is whether he'll get off to a slow start. He didn;t arriv at the arena til 6:52 p.m.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Nicole (Vermont): I see the biggest question mark of the night is going to be Rajon Rondo... it seems like when he can get the team up and down the court and take the ball to the basket the celtics are unstoppable, what do you think?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: (7:39 PM ET ) I don;t know about him being a question mark. He;s looked pretty steady and outstanding to me. The only thing I'd question is whether he'll get off to a slow start. He didn;t arriv at the arena til 6:52 p.m.

TP4U, like an explanation of why our PG didn't bother to show up until an hour before game time for game seven, though we'll never get one out of the team.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76

If this is true, it's not the first time it happened during the playoffs. If this is true, I hope someone from Celtics' management gets into Rondo's head and makes it clear what is and is not acceptable behavior.

Honestly, I think we're reading a bit too much into this. Showing up at a game an hour before tip off sounds pretty bad, but we're jumping to conclusions here. The media reported that he showed up at 6:50... ok... but they didn't say anything about him rushing, looking unprepared, frazzled, attitudinal, etc. Given how overboard the media can get, I bet they'd pick up on any of those things if they saw it and would report it right away.

We don't even know what getting to the game "late" means at all to a player - Ray gets there like 4-5 hours early and he's had as bad a series as anyone. I think Ray's routine holds him back at times. We don't know how routine affects Rondo, but Jackie MacMullen wrote in her ESPN Rondo piece that he was once stuck in traffic, made it to the Garden just minutes before the game and just destroyed Deron Williams.

It's also easy to jump to conclusions that whatever he does at home during that extra time isn't better than being in the locker room. For all we know, he decided to eat dinner at home to avoid extra spicy chicken ramifications. I know I'm probably stretching it here because I have no idea what happened, but it's safe to say that he wasn't late to the game because he decided to spend extra time rollerskating. 

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

TP4U, like an explanation of why our PG didn't bother to show up until an hour before game time for game seven, though we'll never get one out of the team.

I'd wait and see. The "Rondo was eating spicy (junk) food in the locker room before the game" story turned out to be "Rondo had some"spicy spaghetti" a few hours before he arrived at the arena".

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Scal played by far his best basketball this season for us.  Like everybody else in here, I'm speculating.  But it must be awfully frustrating to see both last season and this season a desperate crusade to get somebody who will directly play his minutes.  

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Did anyone happen to read Shira Springer's piece on Rondo yesterday?  He missed 14 of 28 games his freshman year of HS due to things like showing up late, missing class etc.  Then he missed more games his sophomore year (though not as many). 

Stuff like this makes me glad I'm not in Danny's shoes.  I would be hesitant to give him big money because you want to do it with someone who's reliable and comes to play each night.  From what I've seen of Rondo, he does NOT bring it every night.  I thought his defense last night was horrible for example (though overall, I thought he played OK).

Still, making a long term commitment to him is not, in my mind, necessarily a no brainer.

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
If it's true that Rondo showed up to the Garden at 6:52 Sunday evening, then that is a big deal. Youth sports travel teams are often asked to show up 30-45 minutes before a game. I would think that if game time is 8 p.m., the latest you would want your players to show up would be 6 p.m. I am not saying that it affects Rondo's performance, but I am saying that if this is true and if it happened twice in the playoffs, it shows disrespect for both the coaches and his teammates.

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
My gut says that Scalabrine is not angry at the questioner, but angry at his team. It seems that the Rondo thing is true, so I wouldn't be surprised if Scal is angry at Rondo in particular.

It would make sense that Scal and Perk would both be angry at their teammates because in my opinion they were only two Celtics to show up to play every postseason game. Of course, the Celtics don't ask for too much from Scal, but at least he came to play every night. And Perk was undoubtedly our most consistent player during these playoffs.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
If this is the quote I'm thinking of, then I'm pretty sure they showed this question on the postgame yesterday...I saw it and he didn't seem angry, more disappointed (which is to be expected). I don't know, I wouldn't really read too much in to it, IMO.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
For those confused by scal's comment;

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=define%3A+sarcasm&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

"Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. ..."

He was asked a stupid question.

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I wonder if Rondo's showing up late contributed to two of the TNT pregame ex-players talking last night about how they looked around the locker room and in to their teammates eyes to see who was prepared.  Also, they questioned anyone whose preparation before a big playoff game was different than their usual routine--because they doubted they would be in the right state to come up big in the game.

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Please tell me this isn't true.  If I were a teammate, I'd be ticked.