Author Topic: Worst Celtics draft pick this decade?  (Read 11216 times)

Re: Worst Celtics draft pick this decade?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Whatever happened to Marcus Banks?  ???

Miami Heat I think

He's still drawing a paycheck anyhow
Yup

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably Kedrick Brown. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
kedrick had unreal athleticism

forte had Red in his corner and a tarheel pedigree

moiso had . . . potential maybe?

Brown and Forte could be chalked off like Gerald Green, all maybe's who were just disappointments. 

But at least they had something.  Moiso was for some reason not that big a reach on the draft boards, but he had nothing as far as I could tell.  Nothing.  He was a true "What the heck?" pick.

I'd have to say Kedrick, Mioso was a lottery pick yes, but it's not like he was a top 5'er, Kedrick at #13 is just two spots behind.  The reason I give it to Kedrick though as the worst is b/c, like someone said earlier, you add in the horrendous decision to play Denvers pick in that draft instead of waiting another year and having it in a much deeper draft.

As for Forte, if he wasnt a late round pick he would have been the worst in my opinion.  He never sniffed the court, and IMO had the talent to be at least a good player in the NBA.  I dont think anyone spent too much time judging Joe's personality prior to the draft, b/c that was the major problem with him.  Take your pick, showing up to the celtics facility in a Lakers jersey, beating the crap out of someone during a pick up game, wearing a Wizards jersey in the sonics locker room the night theyre playing the Wizards (and getting nailed by Jerome James afterward), and getting caught with a handgun and a bunch of weed.  So like I said before I think if Joe was at least somewhat sane and knew how to apply himself he could have been at least a role player in the NBA.
Greg

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
How bout worst 1st rounder ever?

Len Bias comes to mind

Oh, don't do Lenny like that.  That was the most unlucky pick - can't say worst.  Semantics, but man, don't do Lenny like that.  ;)

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 05:26:32 PM »

Offline waltzero

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Almost definitely Moiso. But really with this team over the past decade, the bigger thing is picks that got traded and became other players. Even then, Danny has been fantastic at coming out ahead in deals, even if some nice players slipped by us.

The Joe Forte pick looks much better to me now that time has shown the results.

We end up with Rondo and Ray and KG of course. Would you have wanted Tinsley to be the pg for years? Blech no.

And most interesting in hind sight is that yeah we missed Tony Parker, but by missing him it meant the Spurs prevented the Lakers from winning a bunch of championships.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Yep I would say he is right up there with Kedrick Brown. 

It's threads like this that makes me appreciate having Ainge around. 

What about trading the Brandon Roy lottery pick for Sebastion Telfair? Yeah I know Ratliff and Raef were both in the deal and Raef had one more yr on his contract than Theo, but a Rondo, Roy, Pierce, Jefferson, Perkins lineup could have been a dynasty.

The Forte pick (instead of Parker) was horrible, but he wasn't a lottery pick at least.

Those are the two on top of my head.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't think its generally fair to criticize a team for picking a guy later when other guys even later than them pan out (i.e. the Tony Parker effect) b/c late 1st to early 2nd round guys are a crapshoot anyways

I generally agree... except my understanding is that the C's were specifically deciding between these two guys, and decided to go with Red's pick even though he was clearly a headcase and didn't fit a need (since we'd already drafted two swingmen and NEEDED a point guard).  

What a draft...  three 1st round picks effectively turned into Tony Delk and a half-season of Rodney Rodgers.

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Celtics trade '99 first round draft pick and Andrew DeClercq for Vitaly Potapenko.

That first round draft pick was given to The Cavs and was number 8 overall. They used it on Andre Miller, but left on the board was Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, James Posey, AK47, Ron Artest, and Corey Magette.

This is a pretty bad decision but it's kindof a hindsight thing, On one hand Vitaly was picked 12th overall, on the otherhand he'd hadn't shown that much to defend that.

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Whatever happened to Marcus Banks?  ???

Miami Heat I think

He's still drawing a paycheck anyhow

True, but from the Raptors.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Is this a Bash Gerald Green thread...I am in  ;D

from all the afore mentioned he have the smallest BKB IQ
and thats it.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Gerald is a bust, but he's still like 14 so he might have a chance.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
K. Brown hands down... I think even Moiso had best games than Kedrick.. G. Green is a close runner up.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
Eric Montross >:(

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Thanks so much for the walk down Chris Wallace memory lane.  The Johnson, Brown, Forte draft followed by the Johnson trade and the Vin Baker fiasco were so destructive to this franchise that it is truly a miracle that Danny brought us back as quickly as he did.  Chris wallace of course then goes on to get the Lakers back into the championship hunt with the ridiculous trade of Gasol for peanuts.  Chris Wallace seems like a nice guy, but he gets my vote as the worst Celtics employee of all time. 

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Thanks so much for the walk down Chris Wallace memory lane....

TP, exactly my thoughts
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.