Author Topic: Worst Celtics draft pick this decade?  (Read 11215 times)

Worst Celtics draft pick this decade?
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Who you got?

I am going to have to go with the first pick of the century Jerome Moiso with the 11th pick in the first round.

Re: Worst Celtics draft pick this decade?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yep I would say he is right up there with Kedrick Brown. 

It's threads like this that makes me appreciate having Ainge around. 

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Who you got?

I am going to have to go with the first pick of the century Jerome Moiso with the 11th pick in the first round.

Moiso was bad, but so was that draft.  Granted some people developed into decent-really good players in time (eddie and hedo), but it was probably the worst draft in its totality, so picking Moiso didnt cause the c's to miss out on any immediately great players, unlike 2001.

Take your pick, Kedrick at 10 or Forte at 21. Kedrick over Troy Murphy and Richard Jefferson, and both over Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Agent Zero, Okur, and Scal. Well at least Scal had a better career than both.

I'd go with Kedrick as the worst ever because
           a) he was a bust and we missed out on all the aforementioned good players
           b) we exercised our option to take Denver's pick, which if we waited one year would have been in the Melo-Wade category
           c) we insisted on PHO taking Joe Johnson over Kedrick in the Rodney Rodgers and Tony Delk trade.  

gross
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:04:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm going with Moiso because at least at one point Kedrick looked like maybe he could be good and held on in the DL and whatnot. Moiso was just colossally bad from the beginning

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Gotta throw some hate Joe Forte's way, just because it would have been SO EASY to have seen that pick be Tony Parker.  Not worse that Moiso (although that was a horrid draft start to bottom; other that Turkoglu, not too many players picked soon after Moiso that have done ANYTHING in the League).

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Who you got?

Moiso was bad, but so was that draft.  Granted some people developed into decent-really good players in time (eddie and hedo), but it was probably the worst draft in its totality, so picking Moiso didnt cause the c's to miss out on any immediately great players, unlike 2001.

Take your pick, Kedrick at 10 or Forte at 21. Kedrick over Troy Murphy and Richard Jefferson, and both over Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Agent Zero, Okur, and Scal. Well at least Scal had a better career than both.

I'd go with Kedrick as the worst ever because
           a) he was a bust and we missed out on all the aforementioned good players
           b) we exercised our option to take Denver's pick, which if we waited one year would have been in the Melo-Wade category
           c) we insisted on PHO taking Joe Johnson over Kedrick in the Rodney Rodgers and Tony Delk trade.  

gross

I completely agree. Drafting Brown was just a bonehead move. As we all know, the icing on the cake came when we traded Johnson--talk about collateral damage.

Moiso always puzzled me. Whenever he got the chance to play, he looked like he had potential to be at least an average player. Although he was usually lost on defense, and his offensive game was nonexistent, it seemed he had some tools--mainly defensive tools. It was odd how he just disappeared from the league one day. Yes, he was an epic bust. But that whole draft was pretty pathetic, so I'll have to go with Brown on this one.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
How bout worst 1st rounder ever?

Len Bias comes to mind

Acie Earl also fits the bill

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »

Offline afflatus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
It all depends.

It terms is worst player, Moiso tops this, no doubt.

It terms of total team impact, it is Kedrick Brown and Joseph Forte.

It's not just the draft where we missed those all stars, we traded Joe johnson in a band-aid all or nothing type move for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. Forte was part of the deal that brought us Vin Baker. So the aftermath of the trade also got us reeling.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Forte

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
kedrick had unreal athleticism

forte had Red in his corner and a tarheel pedigree

moiso had . . . potential maybe?

Brown and Forte could be chalked off like Gerald Green, all maybe's who were just disappointments. 

But at least they had something.  Moiso was for some reason not that big a reach on the draft boards, but he had nothing as far as I could tell.  Nothing.  He was a true "What the heck?" pick.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Whatever happened to Marcus Banks?  ???

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
When I think of bad draft picks, I think the higher in the draft they're drafted relative to the strength of the draft needs to be taken into consideration

So Moiso is a worse pick b/c he was a lottery guy than a Joe Forte who was a late 1st rounder

I don't think its generally fair to criticize a team for picking a guy later when other guys even later than them pan out (i.e. the Tony Parker effect) b/c late 1st to early 2nd round guys are a crapshoot anyways

As for the Joe Johnson thing, I wish he was still a Celtic, BUT he made it very clear all he cared about was money when he flew the coop to Atlanta from a very good Phoenix team
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What's amazing is to be reminded of all those horrendous picks in just a few years--in contrast to the relatively incredible and incredibly consistent record that Ainge has posted.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
moiso was the worst because he was the #11 pick...forte was #21...both sucked

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Whatever happened to Marcus Banks?  ???

Miami Heat I think