Author Topic: Rondo part Deux?  (Read 5594 times)

Rondo part Deux?
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I had seen this guy and some of his taped workouts last year when he was trying out for Portland and Washington, just thought I'd swing him by here to see what you guys thought. He's getting the Rondo tag put on him by draftnet http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rodrigue-beaubois

Seems to be pretty quick, and has a really solid looking jumper to go with a 6'10 wingspan. He is listed on draftnet as going 50th in the draft, should we consider taking him?

Highlight vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbcchx0ipwA

Re: Rondo part Deux?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
sure, they should consider him.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't know that much about him, but I wasn't impressed by the highlights.  While he seems somewhat athletic, he does not seem to have freakish athleticism and quickness like Rondo, and more importantly, there was nothing from those highlights to show that he has any real feel for the game, or BBIQ.  It may just have been a bad mix, but I wasn't impressed.

The Euro who I would be looking at in the second round would be Nemanja Aleksandrov.  I have brought him up around each of the last few drafts, and I believe he finally will be in it, because he is draft eligible, and can't pull out. 

He has great length and athleticism, a very good shooting touch, and a polished game.  His problem is that he has had some knee injuries that have set him back, and he also has had some questions about his work ethic and heart. 

He is absolutely a high-risk, high-reward type player, but at the bottom of the second round, he would be a hell of a guy to be able to take a chance on.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 02:53:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Meh, if we're picking someone to stash with the #58 I guess we could do worse (but not much worse also). He's not very similar to Rondo though, except that he's also very quick bringing the ball up court. He has a better jump-shot, but he lacks everything else, especially the talent. He ended the season in great shape, with a string of productive games, but his team ended up missing the playoffs (in the relatively weak French League), in a big part due to the fact that they missed a true point-guard. And no way he's 6'2''; probably a 6'0''. Who knows, maybe he can build on his season finale and become a competent backup PG for the NBA in a couple of years?

The Euro who I would be looking at in the second round would be Nemanja Aleksandrov.  I have brought him up around each of the last few drafts, and I believe he finally will be in it, because he is draft eligible, and can't pull out.

That wouldn't be a very good idea. Aleksandrov retired from basketball.

Checking the mock drafts, I don't see any particularly interesting European player in the late 2nd round. Maybe Sergio Llull, but I don't believes he falls to our spot and it's not like he's a big time prospect anyway.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
he does bring a quick release jumpshot the long wingspan gives him a good advantage on other NBA point guards.  Dont see why we shouldnt give this guy a few good workouts.  Especially considering Marbury is not a lock for next year.  If we need a backup PG I wouldnt mind going with a guy with his size and quickness.  He looks like mostly raw talent and with some good coaching, which we certainly have, I think this guy could really improve his game and possibly this team.  Good find with this kid.
The NBA..where "this whole sport is a business and the referees decide games and David Stern is a snake and is only in this for the money" happens.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
I'd give him a shot. He might turn out to be a great player.  I liked the athleticism he showed on those two blocks.
UBUNTU

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If he fell all the way to the Celtics he'd be the guy to take imo.  Base purely on potential and nothing more.  He's young enough that he may be able to learn the PG spot well enough to be a backup at some point.  In the meantime, if he's really 6'2", he could play against smaller 2's and probably do fine defensively.  If his arms are that long he should be able to get off his jumpshot, which has nice form if you ask me.  They say he's cocky on the court and shy off of it, which does sound like Rondo.  Very much worth taking that late in the draft.  On the other hand, you could probably sell me a boat with holes to a song as good as "Thriller".

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Did he?  Chad Ford just listed him yesterday as one of the players scheduled to play at the Reebok Euro-camp.  Ford could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like he has retired to me.

Edit: Draft Express has him listed as well:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2009-Reebok-Eurocamp-Preview--Roster-3210/

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Did he?  Chad Ford just listed him yesterday as one of the players scheduled to play at the Reebok Euro-camp.  Ford could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like he has retired to me.

Well, where is he playing then? The last time I heard of him he had left Red Start, where he barely played,  and was looking for a club - with the season already going on for awhile. I don't see him listed in any teams roster. If he's still playing, he's doing it at a really low level, quite anonymously. I'll check this out tomorrow.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well, where is he playing then? The last time I heard of him he had left Red Start, where he barely played,  and was looking for a club - with the season already going on for awhile. I don't see him listed in any teams roster. If he's still playing, he's doing it at a really low level, quite anonymously. I'll check this out tomorrow.

Yeah, from what I can gather he is not playing right now.  So who knows what is going on.  I know he was battling injuries for the last few years, so perhaps that is the reason, but it defintely doesn't sound like he is retired.  It also doesn't sound good for his NBA chances though.

All I know is I was impressed with him in the hoop summit a couple of years ago.  He was still recovering from knee surgery, and didn't have all of his explosiveness back, but he showed some flashes of the great skills he has, and he was pretty dominant on the boards (granted, he was a couple years older than most of the other guys out there).  It was only 1 game, but it definitely looked to me that he has a good skillset for the NBA game. 

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline UGotRondod

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
he does bring a quick release jumpshot the long wingspan gives him a good advantage on other NBA point guards.  Dont see why we shouldnt give this guy a few good workouts.  Especially considering Marbury is not a lock for next year.  If we need a backup PG I wouldnt mind going with a guy with his size and quickness.  He looks like mostly raw talent and with some good coaching, which we certainly have, I think this guy could really improve his game and possibly this team.  Good find with this kid.

I don't know if i agree.  Looked like his release was actually kinad slow for the League.  And he also looks like more of a shoot first guard.  Not necessarily a bad thing if he can run the offense and handle and pass the ball well, but just a different look than what Rondo brings to the table.  That's not to say he isn't worth a look, especially in the late second round.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
judging from his first two shots he's not really like Rondo at all.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yeah, from what I can gather he is not playing right now.  So who knows what is going on.  I know he was battling injuries for the last few years, so perhaps that is the reason, but it defintely doesn't sound like he is retired.  It also doesn't sound good for his NBA chances though.

All I know is I was impressed with him in the hoop summit a couple of years ago.  He was still recovering from knee surgery, and didn't have all of his explosiveness back, but he showed some flashes of the great skills he has, and he was pretty dominant on the boards (granted, he was a couple years older than most of the other guys out there).  It was only 1 game, but it definitely looked to me that he has a good skillset for the NBA game. 

Yeah, I had the chance of seeing him in Madrid before his injuries and he was the best player I've ever seen at that age. He was never the same after the injuries though. In the last 2 seasons he was apparently recovered but not even close to the same player. At this stage, I'd be very surprised to see him making a come back to professional basketball, let alone entering the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
does Thriller follow him wherever he goes?

If yes, sign me up
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Chris, just a heads-up: Aleksandrov won't be in Treviso.