Author Topic: imagine move up in 2nd round  (Read 12149 times)

Re: imagine move up in 2nd round
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No projects.  If the Celts use a draft pick, I hope it's on an overseas player who has no designs on playing in America next year.

Quoted for truth. We need people who can help next year. No more projects.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Just figured I'd show with evidence as to why I want Collison here next year. When Rondo has one of those not today games, we'd have an option that brings speed and a jumper to the team.

Here he is disassembling the Lopez bros. in the '08 Pac 10 tourney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Fzp-kjCA

Fixed, thanks Brick.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:13:45 PM by Tradetime »

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Not sure  why it posts twice.

because you paste the youtube embed code, instead of the just the link

all you have to do is type in "http://youtub e.com/whatever"  (without the space) and the forum software does the rest.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Going by nbadraft.net, it would be tough to pass up on Drue Holiday that late...although Collison is also a very good option.

The guy who I really like however is Nick Calathes.  He is a true PG, who can really stroke the ball, and has the size to guard SG's.  I think if you put him next to Eddie House, and in the C's defensive system (which will hide some of his lack of lateral quickness), he could be a very good player.  He is a smart player, who should pick up on things quickly. 

I don't think we need another young wing (unless someone like Buddinger falls), and the big men you can get there are not very good (it looks like the good undersized big men will go higher in this weak draft), but the real value here is in the PG's...so perhaps the C's will look to take another shot a PG, if they cut ties with Pruitt.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we could trade our second round pick, JR Giddens, Gabe Pruitt, Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine for a first round pick and a vet player I would do it in a heartbeat.

That way we get rid of three project players for one project player and two scrub subs for one hopefully non-scrub sub.

Yeah, yeah!! I know!! Not gonna happen!!

But that would be my dream scenario of moving up in this draft.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If we move up...Im hoping for Patty Mills if we get a pg.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: imagine move up in 2cnd round
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I'm not interested in our draft picks. I would imagine that whoever we pick in the 2nd round wouldn't make a big difference.

We've got:

Pruitt
Walker
Giddens 

ALL WAITING PATIENTLY FOR A CRACK AT THE ROTATION

Unless we're drafting a true backup for Perk we're getting rid of our pick(s) IMHO.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not interested in our draft picks. I would imagine that whoever we pick in the 2nd round wouldn't make a big difference.

We've got:

Pruitt
Walker
Giddens 

Unless we're drafting a true backup for Perk we're getting rid of our pick(s) IMHO.

Well, our only pick is at the end of the second round, so more likely they use it on someone to stash in Europe for a year or two.

But I expect Pruitt will likely be gone this summer, and if they see someone slip who they like, I could definitely see them jump on the opportunity. 

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

We've got:

Pruitt
Walker
Giddens 

If gabe hasen't carked it in two years of eddie house being or backup PG till the trade deadline when eddie, doc, and the entire NBA can see how much better he is freed of his ball handling responsablities to focus on shooting, i think it's an outside shot he ever will.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Going by nbadraft.net, it would be tough to pass up on Drue Holiday that late...although Collison is also a very good option.

The guy who I really like however is Nick Calathes.  He is a true PG, who can really stroke the ball, and has the size to guard SG's.  I think if you put him next to Eddie House, and in the C's defensive system (which will hide some of his lack of lateral quickness), he could be a very good player.  He is a smart player, who should pick up on things quickly. 

I don't think we need another young wing (unless someone like Buddinger falls), and the big men you can get there are not very good (it looks like the good undersized big men will go higher in this weak draft), but the real value here is in the PG's...so perhaps the C's will look to take another shot a PG, if they cut ties with Pruitt.

I wasn't impressed with Calathes whenever I watched him.  He'd always play well when Florida had the lead, but in every game I watched he'd become a chucker and start going 1-on-5 when they faced some resistance.  Specifically, I'm referencing certain parts of both games against Tennessee.  We need somebody who can run the offense and find guys open in their spots, and honestly Marbury is probably a better fit for that description than anybody would could get in the draft.  I'd rather try to sign Marbury for cheap and hope his jumpshot reappears over the summer and use the pick on something else.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:48:20 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm not interested in the draft, frankly. This club doesn't need any more projects on the bench. It needs veteran NBA players capable of contributing, not dumpster dives or low draft picks.

yea who wants those guys, players like Davis and Powe are total wastes of our time. Thank god their contracts are up so we can get rid of them this off-season.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Same point as before.

No more prospects - or suspects.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
oh the possibilities

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
There are a lot of teams with multiple second round picks and multiple picks period.

Timberwolves have 2 second rounders to go with 3 first rounders.
Portland has 4 second rounders to go with 1 first rounder.
Detroit has 3 second rounders in the top half of the 2cnd round to go with 1 first rounder.
Suns have 2 second rounders to go with 2 first rounders.
Charlotte has 2 second rounders to go with 1 first rounder.
Spurs have 3 second rounders.

I would think that means there'll probably be a lot of trading on draft day, though mostly involving picks and players that will be gambles or longer term projects.  I sense a bit of dropoff between late first round and early second round this year, which means teams might not trade a late first rounder for multiple second rounders.

If we could move up I'm sticking with Jerebko to stash or Collison.