Author Topic: Celtics (1-2) at Magic (2-1) Game 4 5/10  (Read 129220 times)

Celtics (1-2) at Magic (2-1) Game 4 5/10
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (1-2,5-5)  at  Orlando Magic (2-1,6-3)
Round 2, Game4
Postseason game 11 Road Game #5
Sunday, May 10
8:00 PM ET
TV: TNT
Pre/Post Game: CSN HD 7:00 PM ET, After the Game
Amway Arena   

Probable Starters
PG: Rajon Rondo      SG: Ray Allen

C:  Kendrick Perkins

SF:  Paul Pierce      PF:  Glen Davis

Reserves
Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine
Tony Allen

Injured

Kevin Garnett (knee)  out
Leon Powe  (knee)  out

Probable Starters
PG:  Rafer Alston    SG: Courtney Lee

C:  Dwight Howard

SF: Hedo Turkoglu    PF:  Rashard Lewis

Reserves
JJ Reddick
Tony Battie
Marcin Gortat
Adonal Foyle
Jeremy Richardson
Anthony Johnson
Mickael Pietrus
Tyronn Lue
Anthony Johnson

Injured
Jameer Nelson (labrum)  out
Courtney Lee  (fractured sinus)  probable

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Rafer Alston
Rondo had another tentative game in game 3 and he must come out with the mindset to be aggressive in this game if the Celtics have a shot to win it.  He must take the ball all the way to the hoop instead of settling for runners and tear drops that he hopes will fall.  Rondo also must up his defensive pressure.  He didn't show up on defense in game 3.

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard
Howard blocked 5 shots, but still only scored 17 points which is below his average.  He sat on the bench for a couple of stretches in foul trouble.  Perk had some foul trouble of his own and ended the game with 5 of them.  One of those fouls was a Flagrant 1 foul that I am sure will be reviewed by the league.   Perk only had 10 points and 7 rebounds and the Celtics will need more, especially on the boards from Perk for them to win. 

vs
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu 
Paul Pierce just hasn't had a Paul Pierce-like game in these playoffs.  After sitting on the bench all but 15 minutes in game 2, I expected a big game out of him in game 3, He had 27 points but it was on just 6-15 shooting and he struggled and seemed almost disinterested in the first half.  Pierce has got to lead this team by example and play on both ends.  Turkoglu had a big game for the Magic as he shot 8-12 for 24 points and seemed to get any shot he wanted.  The Celtics need Paul Pierce to step up. 

vs
Ray Allen vs Courtney Lee
Courtney Lee looked very good in his first game back from injury.  I expect that he will probably start in game 4 because he played so well.   Ray Allen on the other hand was just 3-13 in game 3 and struggled to come up with 8 points.  The Celtics need a big game out of Ray.  The Celtics struggled on offense and Ray has to find his shot once again for the Celtics to stay in this series.  He also has to find a way to slow Lee down. 

vs
Big Baby Davis vs Rashard Lewis
Rashard Lewis got whatever shot he wanted in game 3 and hit most of them.   The Celtics must find a way to slow Lewis down. Either Big Baby or Scal has to find a way to guard him.  After some good offensive games, Big Baby struggled in game 3, scoring only 7 points on 2-6 shooting.  He can't seem to make a layup these days.  The Celtics need more out of Big Baby on both ends of the court in this game. 

Bench vs Bench
The Benches played each other pretty evenly in game 3. Eddie House continued to be hot for the Celtics and Courtney Lee was hot off the bench for the Magic.  The Celtics will need more solid play from the bench to get a win on the road. 

Keys the the Game
Focus
The Celtics came out in game 3 and didn't seem to have any focus or intensity.  They allowed the Magic to beat them to rebounds and loose balls and to out hustle them on just about every play.  They were taking quick shots and settling for mostly jumpers, which just weren't falling.    The biggest lapse of focus was on the defensive end, however.

DEFENSE!!!!
It is amazing how a team like the Celtics can play such good defense in game 2 and then play little to no defense in game 3.  The Magic shot 59% and that is absolutely unacceptable.  The Celtics must re-gain their defensive edge and intensity.  They can't allow the Magic to shoot almost 60% from the floor and expect to win the game.  Defense wins championships and if the Celtics expect to get out of the second round, they have to re-commit to playing the kind of team defense that they played in game 2. 

Take the Ball to the Basket
The Magic outscored the Celtics in the paint 48-40 in game 3 after the Celtics had a huge advantage in the paint in game 2. The team that is more aggressive in going to the basket has won every game in this series so far.  The Celtics must be aggressive and stop settling for contested jumpers. 

Rebound
The team that wants the game the most will win the battle of the boards.  In game 3 Orlando out-rebounded Boston 36 to 29.  The Celtics have to be aggressive in going after rebounds.  On one play in game 3, three different Celtics stood and watched a rebound bounce past them without moving a muscle to go after it.  That can't happen again if the Celtics want to win this series. 

Move the Ball
Too many times the Celtics settled for a quick shot instead of moving the ball and finding the open man.  They must get back to playing team ball and working their offense in this game.  They also have to get the ball up the court quickly instead of getting in the habit of walking the ball up the court. 

Stay Out of Foul Trouble

Granted this will take a little help from the refs.  In game 3, there were a lot of fouls called on the Celtics early that took players out of their games and kept them from being aggressive as they tried to stay out of further foul trouble.   Even the Magic boards were buzzing about how favorable the refs were to the Magic early.  Even if fouls even up in the second half, it is the early fouls that shapes the game.  Hopefully the Celtics can stay out of foul trouble early in this game. 

X-Factor
Which Celtics Team Shows Up?
It seems like there are 2 different Celtics teams and we never know which one will come to play.  There is one team that plays in your face defense, moves the ball on offense, is aggressive in taking the ball to the basket, and plays with energy and focus.  Then, there is the other team that allows a team to shoot 60% and forgets how to play defense, settles for quick shots, takes mostly jumpers and seems to have no energy or focus at all.  The X -Factor has to be which of these teams shows up for game 4.

Re: Celtics (1-2) at Magic (2-1) Game 4 5/10
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:49:03 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Might as well start with the pics now:

DO OR DIE!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
Feel very confident. Already sipping my green kool-aid sort of :

Lets make it Rain baby!  ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:40:52 AM by kheeko »

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 01:45:51 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Let's Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:41:17 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0eYUZ7aYA&feature=channel

hey paul lets do some of this, less jump shots go right at the basket.

i want you to take 15+ free throws, sit down their whole front court.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:48:20 AM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 04:20:02 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0eYUZ7aYA&feature=channel

hey paul lets do some of this, less jump shots go right at the basket.

i want you to take 15+ free throws, sit down their whole front court.

These clips, and basically a younger Paul Pierce reminds me of Dwayne Wade now. Just attacking the rim, crazy and 1's, explosiveness. Didn't pierce lead the league in free throw attempts for a couple years? Anyway I wonder if Wade will develop a more versatile game like pierce has with more age and less athelticism.....

I would love for Pierce to go right at the basket but it is tough when the DOP Dwight Howard gets the benefit of the doubt on most plays whether it's goaltending or a blocking foul. I feel like Pierce will start driving in early in the game to feel out the officials and usually he doesn't get the calls. Hopefully if he continues to force it in the calls will even out or maybe he can play make and get some of the bigs open layups/dunks when Dwight over commits.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 04:45:39 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
And if we pass, we may need this to reach the finals;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snO6S64pDg

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 05:31:58 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
And if we pass, we may need this to reach the finals;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snO6S64pDg

hahaha, sure we'll need it... :D

Tonight's game is a Game 7, no doubt...

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion!!"

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Big Baby, Scal, Eddie House, Tony Allen(well, yes...)... SHOW THEM WHO'S STILL THE CHAMPION...!!!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 05:38:43 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I am so pumped for this game. I get to watch it on TV ( i'm living in australia and have to watch many of the games online since they aren't broadcast). The game is at 10 am monday here and i will be heading to a bar with my gf and hopefully some other loyal C's fans. I will be downing several pints which will help come me down for this (almost) must win game. Which ever team wants it more will win this game. I think the celtics will show all their fans in game four that they want this series more than the magic...

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i am going into the game with the mind set that they are already down 10...cue the karate kid music

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
i am going into the game with the mind set that they are already down 10...cue the karate kid music

I'm on it!!! If we lose this game it might be a ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebIhzVlmGls

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
A must win.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6