Author Topic: Star Trek (2009)  (Read 7267 times)

Re: Star Trek (2009)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I saw it Thursday and I thought it was a good "summer" movie, and entertaining for the most part but an awful Star Trek movie. (Phasers aren't supposed to shoot bolts, it's a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n beam!) I hated the product placements and the leaps in logic. (Kirk promoted to Captain right out of the Academy? Double You Tee Eff?!) I thought it wasn't Star Trekky enough for my tastes. Though, Zachary Quinto did a very good job as Spock.

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's not really Star Trek, it's JJ Abram's interpretation of Star Trek.

Maybe phasers (set on kill) are bolts instead of lasers way back at that time period.

I think after what that Kirk did when he took over as Captain for a grieving Spock, proved he could be a capable Captain. It actually was logical to promote him straight to Captain.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I saw it Thursday and I thought it was a good "summer" movie, and entertaining for the most part but an awful Star Trek movie. (Phasers aren't supposed to shoot bolts, it's a ****n beam!) I hated the product placements and the leaps in logic. (Kirk promoted to Captain right out of the Academy? Double You Tee Eff?!) I thought it wasn't Star Trekky enough for my tastes. Though, Zachary Quinto did a very good job as Spock.

the problem is, and im a big trek fan, trek is a dead franchise. it has no new fans coming in thanks to no show since DS9 being even worth watching. voyager sucked, so did enterprise.

thus, they need to jumpstart the franchise for new fans, so they let JJ restart it.

It's similar to Xman, which comic book purists hate at every level but is a good movie and drew ina ton of new fans who could care less about the "pure" comic book interpratation.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »

Offline Dissent

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I saw it Thursday and I thought it was a good "summer" movie, and entertaining for the most part but an awful Star Trek movie. (Phasers aren't supposed to shoot bolts, it's a ****n beam!) I hated the product placements and the leaps in logic. (Kirk promoted to Captain right out of the Academy? Double You Tee Eff?!) I thought it wasn't Star Trekky enough for my tastes. Though, Zachary Quinto did a very good job as Spock.

Every Trekkie girl I've ever met has loved Voyager. I don't disagree with your basic points though.

the problem is, and im a big trek fan, trek is a dead franchise. it has no new fans coming in thanks to no show since DS9 being even worth watching. voyager sucked, so did enterprise.

thus, they need to jumpstart the franchise for new fans, so they let JJ restart it.

It's similar to Xman, which comic book purists hate at every level but is a good movie and drew ina ton of new fans who could care less about the "pure" comic book interpratation.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I just saw it and disagree completely. Because Nero changed history, this Star Trek is in alternate place in time. Anything can happen!!! It allows the franchise to have a universe of it's own yet with characters that Star Trek fans love. Very smart sci-fi writing.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I saw this movie the day it came out and now, after a while of digesting it, I have to say, it was extremely well done. Casting for most of the major roles was excellent with especial kudos to Urban as McCoy, Quinto as Spock, Saldana as Uhura, and Pegg as Scotty.

I also loved the way they did some little things that incorporated storyline from older Star Trek. They incorporated and explained Kirk cheating on the Kobayashi Maru test(from STII), how Spock and Kirk knew Pike and how Pike got paralyzed(from TV series 2-parter), and how Bones got his nickname. Also, I thought the changing of color from red to blue dependent upon what the haser was doing was awesome and the using of Bones' famous comedy lines were great.

So far, easily the best movie I've seen since Dark Knight. 

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm a sci fi geek but i thought it was really boring. i think everybody played the part and all that but like all the star trek i've seen you can't appreciate the danger they're in and what they really do to get out of it. there's always some stupid fix like " hey maybe if i reverse the bipolar direction on the hydrospanner flux copacitor we can reroute the matrix and blah blah." then someone says"will it work?!" ... "it's our only chance!!" then it's,"hooray!! we made it." worth a rental i think though.

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

I just saw it and disagree completely. Because Nero changed history, this Star Trek is in alternate place in time. Anything can happen!!! It allows the franchise to have a universe of it's own yet with characters that Star Trek fans love. Very smart sci-fi writing.

After a while of digesting it, I've come to terms that this was the only way JJ Abrams would be willing to direct a reboot. However, the alternate timeline/universe is a copout. For what it's worth, I hate it less now compared to the 10-15 mins after I saw it. I'd place it a few notches above Nemesis and Voyage Home but certainly a few rungs below Wrath of Khan and First Contact.

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I saw it last night.  Nothing special, and not nearly as good as the Wrath of Kahn. There were a few nice touches, such as the incipient affair between Spock and Ohura, but the alternate timeline was a gimmick and Leonard Nimoy was simply terrible as Spock II. I also thought that the depiction of Kirk as a screw off who stumbles into the captaincy completely lacked credibility.

If Sci Fi directors want to learn how to do a prequel,they ought to watch the episode of Firefly entitled "Out of Gas." There was also a pretty good prequel to Babylon 5.

Serenity was a better movie: better plot, better acting, although the explosions weren't as spectacular. I would rate Star Trek as about even with Transformers, but no higher than that.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It was enjoyable.  The plot was definitely just a vessel for the justification of the whole [dang] thing  and didn;t have much legs of its own.  I thought Nero was sort of a lame villain, but I enjoyed it quite a bit anyhow for what it was.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
thought it was a really fun ride.  I am by no means a trekie so any of the "trekie stuff" passed me by.

Liked UP better, just saw it with the kids and simply loved it.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
"excuse me, ohura. "i.. dropped my ..spacepen."