Author Topic: Star Trek (2009)  (Read 7266 times)

Star Trek (2009)
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I never really could get into Star Trek but this new movie looks like it could be very good. It seems to be living up to its hype too, it has a 100% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 38 reviews so far. It also has a very good cast which is always a plus. Who else plans on seeing this when it comes out? It comes out Friday but theres no way im going on opening weekend, it's going to be packed. I meant to put this on the movie board, oops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4vk5OZmn8

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:04:15 PM by Big_Matt34 »

Re: Star Trek (2009)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I'll check it out, not opening weekend, but I'll see it eventually, and I have always hated Star Trek.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The early reviews are good, but expect the number to drop some once they start pouring in.  The Dark Knight was 100% up until probably the day it was released and then I think it settled for a 94% on rottentomatoes and an 82 on metacritic. 

Right now I think Star Trek is showing a 94 on metacritic, but I don't expect that to last.   

I'm actually pretty surprised by the glowing reviews, though.  My expectations for Star Trek were roughly the same as my expectations for Wolverine.  I thought they would both be average action movies with lots of special effects.  Didn't realize that Wolverine was going to be a total crapfest while Star Trek might actually be legitimately good. 

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
btw... I just checked rottentomatoes.  It's funny that the only guy who has given it a rotten score is Armond White.  The interesting thing about that is that... I actually have already heard of Armond White, because Armond White was the same writer who was the first to give "Dark Knight" a negative score.  I remember reading the comments and everyone was saying "GOOD GOD WHY IS THIS GUY ALLOWED ON HERE?  HE PURPOSELY GIVES GOOD MOVIES BAD REVIEWS AND BAD MOVIES GOOD REVIEWS TO BE CONTRARIAN!"...

I thought they were just crybaby fanboys wha-whaing about a negative review, but then I researched it myself and actually found out the guy has his own wikipedia...  on the wiki it mentions:  "But it is White's giving favorable reviews to movies that have been critically panned and, conversely, panning films that have been critical successes that have added to his reputation."    And it mentions, "However, he has panned critical favorites such as Milk, [2] Slumdog Millionaire and The Wrestler.[3]"

Funny.  And there he is again saying Star Trek is bad.  At what point does this guy just get chalked up to being a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?  Here are his reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-2725/

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
SPOILER ALERT

I saw it this past Monday. 

Pretty solid movie.  Good effects, okay story, and it's fun to see the characters when they are young.  Nothing earth shattering, but fun.  A summer flick.

Karl Urban who plays McCoy is great- easily the best cast member.  I thought they guy who played Spock was terrible, and nearly cost me enjoying the movie.  Plus, the bad guy (Eric Bana) is not very good.  Needs more Simon Pegg.

There's also a lot of time travel going on which really makes it Star Trek 11, not a relaunch of the franchise like Dark Knight, etc..

I saw it on an IMAX screen.  The better the theater the better the movie will be for someone who checks it out.

You can walk, not run to check it.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
For the other Trekkies on the site, there's a bit of a prequel to the movie called Star Trek: Countdown. It takes place in the future and shows the origins of Nero.

You can read more here:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

I'm absolutely ecstatic for this movie. However, you're not going to see me in Vulcan ears with a phaser.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
star trek is for nerds  ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
never got into star trek...dont plan on it now

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
star trek is for nerds  ;)

The vulcan pinch is more devistating than the force any day of the week. Luke couldn't carry kirks jock and chewie would lose hands down in a cage match against a tribble. :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Just got back from the movie - REAL well done. I thought the casting was tremendous, in particular, Scotty, McCoy and Spock.

You do NOT need to be a Trek fan to enjoy this movie. Leanord Nimoy played a surprisingly large role in the movie (an enjoyable one at that). There are a couple minor plot holes, but in general, the movie is sound.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Just got back from the movie - REAL well done. I thought the casting was tremendous, in particular, Scotty, McCoy and Spock.

You do NOT need to be a Trek fan to enjoy this movie. Leanord Nimoy played a surprisingly large role in the movie (an enjoyable one at that). There are a couple minor plot holes, but in general, the movie is sound.

I want to see this real bad, but couldn't convince the wife last night. Mabey tonight>>>
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My girlfriend and I went and saw this.  I've seen all of the Star Trek movies, she'd never seen any, and we both really liked it.  It's maybe not as intellectual as some of the other Trek movies, but it's extremely entertaining, with a lot of great moments.

The acting was really well done, I thought.  Strangely, I thought the only weak part was Nimoy; he seemed a little disinterested reading his lines.  I was sort of dreading this movie when it was first announced (teeny bopper Star Trek?) but I really liked it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
This movie was off the hook.

10 seconds into the movie and there is an intense action segment. (not 45 seconds of credits)

I agree with Roy that the acting was pretty sell done. Nero and McCoy were standouts IMO.

You don't even have to be a Star Trek fan to actually understand or enjoy this film.

I actually felt pretty bad for Captain Nero.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
this movie's just awesome.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hate Star Trek but I actually liked this movie a lot.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner